Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 22, 2014, 03:21:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help, i'm stuck in the driveway - park brake won't release.  (Read 4951 times)
white-eagle

Ignore
« on: December 17, 2007, 04:20:29 PM »

help, the park brake doesn't want to release.  120psi on both tanks, brakes sound like they release but i pushed the button in, stepped down on the pedal and the brake light stays on, bus doesn't move.  i can hear the tranny changing from forward to revers ok.  just doesn't move. Angry Angry
i can't believe my Eagle doesn't want to fly this coop and get warm, but she is sittin still.   Shocked

any suggestions on where to light a fire under her.  this happed once before, but released after a few minutes (10??) of putting it in reverse, forward and trying the pedal again.  Suddenly the light went out and all was right movin on down the road again.  Embarrassed

i "assumed" the cold (22 deg f) just froze up something like a valve and it would warm up and work once the engine and heater started up.  but no luck this time.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 04:24:43 PM »

frozen air line?

or the rusticles have taken root in the ground letting the old bird go back to the Earth...LOL

finding a bit of moisture in an air system is very hard.

suggest going to a truck place and getting some air line alcohol and start feeding it in until she melts
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 04:26:25 PM »

Tom,

I am NO expert on cold weather problems, but one possibility is that moisture in your air system has your brakes frozen in the park position.

Do you have a blower type heater that you could aim to provide a little warmth to the brake cans, relay valve?

Cliff
In relatively warm Florida

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 04:32:04 PM »

Doug,

I think you have a better and more experienced answer!

How would one insert the alcohol in the system, if your air setup didn't have a Northern conditioned system?

Cliff
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 04:34:02 PM by FloridaCliff » Logged

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 04:42:14 PM »

where do you pour alchohol into for air lines?  i usually only pour it in one hole and only when i'm not gonna be driving.

the actual brakes on each wheel seem to be releasing, sounds like.  i figured a switch somewhere since the light was staying on.  like in the spare tire bay behind the bumper??  it's bound to be cold there.

Tom

Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 04:46:06 PM »

Hi Tom,

Have you tried stomping the brake peddel all the way to the floor?

That usually releases the stuck patients...

Good Luck
And have a safe trip
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 05:08:10 PM »

nick,
practically thru the floor, five or six times.  put it in reverse, add a little accelerator, then slow, put it in drive.  even tried to startle it by blowing the horn.  no luck  Angry

i'm thinking tomorrow's 38 deg later in the day may work to at least get it movin again.  i don't want to work on it until i get to cliff's place or thereabouts.  where it's warm.

guess i better read up on where to let the water out. 
wonder if this had anythign to do with removing the air conditioner system.  i didn't have this problem last year, but then it was inside until we left for florida last year.

Tom

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 05:31:37 PM »

Tom,
   Start the bus, air it up, release the parking brake by pushing in the knob, then make a firm brake application and hold it for 8-10 seconds.  It could be that your bus is froze to the ground or ice in an airline.  I told ya'll ya should come down here earlier.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 05:34:04 PM »

Alcohol goes into the intake side of the compressor IIRC?

Besides the FULL brake application. Be sure the system is at Full air ( compressor cycles off)  sometimes they like to be at or above the preasure they were set at to release

But if you have not had issues before I'd still say frozen air line
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 05:47:12 PM »

Chock the bus before you release the park brake and get out to see what's happening.  The brakes may release at any time and .....that would be bad!   
If the park brake light is still lit, the brakes aren't releasing.  If the dash park brake light is going out when you release the brakes (and brake lights) the brake chambers are probably releasing....maybe.  But the shoes may not release from the drums even though the slacks move the cams off.  
You can look under the coach and see the slacks.  If they are moving, the chambers are releasing.  Check both sides.   If the slacks don't move, something has water in it and is frozen.  Once you get it going, drain all the tanks (5 tanks and compressor drain?) and see if you get any water. 
Was it raining when you last parked the bus?  If so, the shoes may be frozen or rusted to the drums.  If you have a kerosene floor heater, set it under the rear of the bus aimed at the brake drums on the drive axle.  Warming the spare tire compartment may also help...there are brake valves in there.  And, just in front of the drive axle.     
Don't set the bus on fire... Shocked
How long has the bus been sitting since last moved?  Drums may stick pretty quickly in rainy weather if the bus is stored outdoors.  They'll freeze overnight if parked wet and cool.
Good luck!  Hope the weather warms up a little. 
You know, for the life of me, I cannot see why we are so concerned about global warming.  I'd give up a little of Manhattan island anytime (easy for me  Wink so I could grow palm trees in my yard! 
Best, JR

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 05:51:42 PM by NJT5047 » Logged

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
frank-id

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 06:00:02 PM »

Here in Idaho, frozen brakes are common.  First action, go to get a couple bottles of regular rubbing alcohol. 
Remove air line from air compressor discharge.  Pour into airline about a pint, one bottle.  Reconnect air line.  Start bus and open air bleeders at the air storage tanks, one then another.  Try to release brakes.  If no success, repeat alcohol into air line.  Some times the release will require 4 bottles.  Rubbing alcohol about $1, air brake alcohol, about $6.  Same same.  In some rare cases, the brake shoes have frozen to the drums.
A big propane torch or heating tip with acetylene/oxygen welding will warm the drums to release grip.  If the brakes are a little freed, the bus can be rocked front and rear.  The omly cure for brakes freezing is an air drier or alcohol bottle connected into compressor air line.    Frank   in Idaho
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 06:32:52 PM »

i gave up for the night.  hopefully, 37 deg tomorrow will be enough to get going south.  i will spend the rest of the evening reading the manual to determine where and how to get to the discharge line.  alcohol we have, air bleeders i don't know.  but i think i know where the tanks are.

when you guys quit laughing at my ignorance, please accept my thanks.

anyone going to Florida, stop by for a brown bottle of liquid thanks, assuming i find the freeze point and get it thawed enough to get there in time for Jack's rally.

Tom

white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 06:37:05 PM »

someone also mentioned rain?  we had freezing rain, snow, blowing and drifting, etc over the past week.  about 18 degrees out right now.  i had to thaw the bay locks to put some stuff inside, and the front door lock was frozen, also.

jack, you're right, but i couldn't pass up a few extra projects that paid money up here so i'd have enough for the fuel bill to come there.  Wink

Tom

Reddog
1990 Thomas "Hormone Derange" Gunnison, Colorado

1990 Thomas Transitliner, 8.3 Cummins/Allison Auto

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 07:45:18 PM »

Same thing happend to me on the morning after we returned from our snowy trip to Moab. If you are airing up, and the P brake button stays in, my guess is shoes are frozen to the drums (was on Thomas). Chock the bus, air it up, release the brakes and crawl under with hammer, smack the drums (rear) a few tmes and I bet they release. Good Luck!
Doug Engel, Gunnison, CO

"If people don't stare and point as you drive by, keep working."
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 10:17:10 PM »

About a year ago while i was getting ready to leave, this happened to my bus. I did like Jack suggested, give a firm brake pedal and hold it for 10 seconds or so, and then quickly let off the brake pedal. Go through this cycle over and over again. I had to do it 6 or 7 times before they released, but it did work for me. Try to let the air pressure build up to max before each application. Good luck.

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: