Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 07:28:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help, i'm stuck in the driveway - park brake won't release.  (Read 4843 times)
ArtGill

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 03:58:26 AM »

This may seem too simple, but I have had it happen to me several times.  Reach down and pull up on the brake pedal.

Art

Art & Cheryll Gill
Morehead City, NC
1989 Eagle Model 20 NJT, 6v92ta
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 04:09:11 AM »

art, i'd love for you to be correct.  all the other solutions sound like cold, wet, difficult.  at 15 deg currently, i'm not looking forward to getting under anything except a blanket.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
eagle10

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 06:24:37 AM »

I have had this happen to me many times and usually when we are headed to Florida. I let it idle for awhile and keep trying the brake application method. Last year, I had to put my propane space heater under the bus with tarps duct taped arouind the bottom to contain the heat. I put it up front near the front passenger side and within twenty minutes it let go. I am just headed out in the 0 degree Maine Winter to start it as we are headed to Jack's bus meet. Two years ago I froze up on the road in -20 degrees on the way home and had to put the heater to it in a Sears parking lot. Now I carry a Mr. Heater propane unit just in case.  After cutting firewood in two feet of snow, the Florida warm weather sounds good.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 09:01:49 AM »

Not stuck no more!! 
   I just talked to Tom and they are heading south!.  He said we was going to the store to buy a torpedo heater, decided to try releasing the brakes one more time first and they released. He said they ain't stoppin' till they are south of freezin' temps.
   He also asked me to thank everyone for their help.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 10:37:27 AM »

OK, I can easily see that keeping your "dryer" in fine fit would eliminate the horror of a line freezing after underway and keep things loose when parked in subfreezing weather as far as air valves and such.  What can you do to prevent brake lining from freezing to the drums or rusting to the drums?  Park it with the fronts half way up a ramp, cycle the brakes after the first hour at freezing temps.....what?  Seems like many of these girls would have been stopped in warmer weather at the outset so how did the "water up" to freeze the drums?  It doesn't seem to happen to everybody so what is the difference in their procedures?

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 01:49:30 PM »

I'm also wondering about leaving it parked with the brakes off.  My MC-8 is a manual, so leaving it in gear should keep it from rolling.  Add to that fact that it's flat as a board here and the ground is soft (lots of sand).  The bus will settle in a couple of months and is hard to get rolling even without brakes being stuck!

David
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 02:18:11 PM »

David, you cannot "leave the brakes off."  Not unless the bus is kept aired up.  Once the bus pressure gets down to about 65 lbs, the park brake button will pop up and the brakes will set. 
Glad to hear Tom got that ol' Eagle moving! 
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 08:52:44 PM »

OK, OK so I had my A PUFF ANY while driving over to a friend's tonight.  I think about this stuff and you guys a lot.  So here is the answer to why some with the same brake lining and drums and bus and air and humidity have a problem with sticking brake lining and some have never had that problem.  If it were universal this board would be a hundred pages long now and have advice even covering "Voodoo fixes".  It is a matter of weak brake shoe return springs....or maybe the wrong springs.  I don't guess you would have to fry the brakes on a long grade but one time to detemper the springs at least a bit.  The things are probably as old as the bus they are on.  So go ahead Big Spender in sub zero Land....splurge for the only thing that makes sense to me so far.  What are they, a few bucks apeace?  What is it worth to NOT have to crawl under and torch the undercarriage?  BK, what do you think?

My 2 cents,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
michal

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 09:05:23 PM »

Glad to hear The Eagle's on the road. I'm Planning on leaving January 1st-to head South,so I read this posting and have been hoping mine won't be froze.My Eagle is covered with snow and iceicles at the moment and she does'nt seem thrilled about it.I've got an oilpan heater on her now,any other tips on firein her up and thawin  her out are welcome.
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2007, 06:25:36 PM »

An update.  As Jack said, we are on our way and we didn't stop until warm weather.  we made it as far as wytheville flying j in virginia, 2nd night in Unadilla, ga where i had a fix to take care of on a customer's Datastorm.

my "procedure" to get moving on Tuesday: We had tried to start on Monday night and move into position to hook up to leave asap on tuesday.  Didn't work and tooo cold to screw around, so Tuesday thought i'd try again, then get a heater.  Fortunately, the torpedo heater scared the old girl into loosening up.  i tried one more time before unloading and plugging in the heater, applying firm pressure at 120psi to the brake.  i think having the heaters on in the bus helped blow some heat on the park brake valve, (i'm going to personally find a few experts in Arcadia to discuss this with) which is where i think the problem was.

i looked this up and the manual says water is automatically bled out.  so what is freezing?  i guess some condensation in the valve?  someone also mentioned weak breaks after going downhill could weaken the springs?  we just came back from a trip down i77 and probably heated some up in WV and VA near Bluefield and Fancy Gap. 

We didn't have a problem last year in the cold.  the bus had been stored in heated garage last year and we only moved into the driveway overnight before leaving.  i also had not been where i had to apply a fair amount of braking. 

Who knows ?  maybe the group at Arcadia where we can discuss and check some things for the betterment of the group at cocktail hour.

i do know it's a heck of a lot nicer in GA, and the NWS says 80 in Arcadia.  i'm lookin forward to sweating again for a few days.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2007, 06:34:13 PM »

JohnEd,

I like your idea about cycling your brakes!!

The proper way to put your brakes away in rough weather is hot and dry. If they are hot they will be dry.

If you have been running snow, ice and slush you have to ride them every couple miles to keep them dry anyway.

It seems to be normal for a bus to hang the brake shoes on occasion. There is a mechanical reason for this, it has something to do with the placement of the brake shoe anchor pins. A stuck shoe will usually release if you use enough power in reverse gear unless it is frozen from being parked with wet and cold shoes and drums in freezing weather.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
dvrasor

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2007, 07:08:41 PM »

Move south, problem solved.

Dave Rasor 4104-2375 turbo
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2007, 09:00:32 PM »

BK,

Where are you? Sad  Hello!  What is your take on fatigued shoe return springs causing shoes to sit on the drum and freeze in place? Shocked  Are you there?  BK? Grin Grin Grin

Hope all is well with you guys in Tenn.

John

—Pla
JackConrad
Global Moderator

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2007, 05:04:39 AM »

As JR said HOT & DRY is best. You cannot keep the linings from being set against the drums when you park unless you maintain at least 65 pounds of air pressure (and do not set the parking brake). Another thing that can cause problems is rust on the DD3 shaft that causes the locking rollers to not release properly. Ewen (AKA Buswarrior) gave a wonderful seminar on DD3 brakes at Bussin' 2006. I have the entire seminar printed out complete with photos of cut-away DD3s (about 20-30 pages).  I will look to see if I also have it on my other computer.  If I can find it on the computer, I will put a post on here letting everone know I found it. I will email it to anyone that would like a copy of it.  Jack

JackConrad
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2007, 05:37:42 AM »

OK, I found it!  If anyone wants a copy of the DD3 seminar Ewen did at Bussin' 2006, I will email it to you. Although it would be much better with Ewen included, that is up to you.  It is in .pdf format and is 1.44 M.  You can PM or email me direct.  Jack

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: