Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 10:52:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inverters 12 or 24 volt?  (Read 4704 times)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 07:01:47 AM »

Oh, one more thing needs 12v....... my fridge. But, I would like to rectify that by selling it and getting a household fridge.
  Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2007, 08:31:37 AM »

I have a 12 volt inverter that is 5000 watts it's not one of those fancy expensive ones like most of you use but it's been great for me for the past 4 years. I as'so now have a 12 volt alt. mounted ready for use.

I doubt that's 5000 watts continuous. Probably max surge for something like 2 seconds!

5000 watts at 12 volts would be 416 amps. That would require something like 6/0 cable for connections and a fuse the size of New Jersey!

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
captain ron

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2007, 09:22:38 AM »

If I remember from another post a guy has the same ones as me and they are 5000 surge 4000 continuous. Fuse?  Huh
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 09:44:59 AM »

Since I am staying with my otr air conditioning with is 24 volts and go with a 4000 watt 24 volt inverter, can I use my bus generator/alternator to charge the AGM batteries? If yes, what is the best way to do this without damaging the batteries. Having charged up batteries when arriving would be a great option.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
Gary W

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 02:56:42 PM »

If you have a coach with 24 volt system I would go with a 24 volt inverter. I use a Trace SW Plus 4000  to run the roof air as I travel. Also if the bus batteries are low I can start with the house batteries. We installed a 24 volt relay to connect the house batteries to the coach system when the engine is running.. I have a Vanner equalizer for 12 volts which I bought on Ebay. The system works great.

Gary

H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 08:45:43 AM »

I second Gary W's s opinion about going 24 volt for the house if the bus is 24 volt.

Chaz - to rectify means going from AC to DC  Shocked)  - referring to your going from a 12v refer to a 120 volt refer.  I make it a point to keep all my DC stuff, and use as little 120 volt as I can.  That way I can turn off my inverter while boondocking and still be able to use everything but the tv and stereo.  Saves the batteries from the drain of the idling inverrter.  I use a 24 volt sunfronst refrig, and while pricey, I'm very happy with it.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 08:58:22 AM »

Hello Steve

Easy answer: Yes, you can charge the AGM's with the coach 24v alternator.

Harder one: The charge settings for the AGM's and the coach lead/acid batteries are different.
You have to decide which way, which battery set, is going to get to full charge without overcharging the other.

Some regulator adjustments will be in order.

Also, some busnuts change out the stock regulator and put in a smarter one, typically with 3 stage charging, for getting the depleted house batteries "filled up" again in a reasonable length of time.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 09:11:38 AM »

My inverter is 24 volts because the bus is 24 volts.  Some day I might even get the alternator tied to the house battery bank, but I'm a little worried about this.  The standard regulator monitors the starting batteries and delivers the right amps to keep them happy.  Adding a second battery bank might confuse things.  I don't want the house or starting batteries ruined with too much voltage for too long.

I have Vanner equalizer on my house bank for 12 volt loads.  It cost me $300 new on Ebay.

Some days I wish I had gone 12 volt on the inverter simply because I would like to have an inverter with 50 amp transfer switch that oes both legs.  That way the inverter could supply everything in the coach and I could distribute the load more evenly when running on the generator.  This would mean turning off things I don't want to run when on inverter.

The Xantrex RS300 is a real nice inverter with 50 amp dual leg transfer switch, but only in 12 volt.  Maybe there is an inverter out there that is 24 volts that does this.  It doesn't matter too much as the inverter I have works and I'll be using it for a long time.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2008, 09:13:33 AM »

Will a 3 stage regulator have issues with the starting battery bank?  I thought I read on one of the forums about starting batteries not liking a 3 stage regulator.

Who makes the three stage regulators besides Xantrex?

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2008, 09:30:53 AM »

Steve,
     It is kinda a matter of budget.  Though more expensive by far the best way to go is An SW4024 inverter and an equalizer connected across the 24 volt house battery bank to supply the 12 volt 'stuff'.  Then with a suitable inter tie solenoid to the bus 24 volt system you'll most likely be able to run both roof airs while driving but certainly one with ease.  The 24 volt inverter is also a bit more efficient and your time between recharging will be a bit longer.   The key fact is the 50DN 24 volt alternator on your bus produces twice the power output of the 12 volt 50 DN on my bus.  If I were starting over, I'd convert my bus alternator to 24 volt and use a 24 volt house battery bank with an SW4024 and two equalisers, one to supply the 12 volt bus electrical system and a second for the 12 volt house needs.  I may yet make the conversion, unfortunately now it's even more expensive.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: