Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 04:54:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 11-22.5 verses 11.24.5 tires  (Read 9113 times)
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2007, 09:40:51 AM »

So I've always wondered, if you buy "takeoff's", then how do you know you're safely within that "discard any tire if it's over 7 years old" rule?
Seems to me that a lot of really good looking takeoff tires could easily be too old.  My michelins for example, I bought them from a scrapyard that had just gotten in a bunch of school busses.  Took em off the fronts myself, was a great deal as the tires were only 10% worn, not caps since they came off the front, and because the'd just come off of active school bus service, pretty new with that low of a tread wear.  They still look perfect today as I've only added 30,000 miles to them... although they've been on my bus for almost 6 years now... how do you know the age, or is it absolutely that important if the tires look good with no weather/sun damage?
Cheers
Gary

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2007, 11:17:21 AM »

So I've always wondered, if you buy "takeoff's", then how do you know you're safely within that "discard any tire if it's over 7 years old" rule?
Seems to me that a lot of really good looking takeoff tires could easily be too old.  My michelins for example, I bought them from a scrapyard that had just gotten in a bunch of school busses.  Took em off the fronts myself, was a great deal as the tires were only 10% worn, not caps since they came off the front, and because the'd just come off of active school bus service, pretty new with that low of a tread wear.  They still look perfect today as I've only added 30,000 miles to them... although they've been on my bus for almost 6 years now... how do you know the age, or is it absolutely that important if the tires look good with no weather/sun damage?
Cheers
Gary
I am under the impression that all tires have a manufacturing date embossed in them.

Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2007, 02:52:42 PM »

Lin....sounds like we have lots in common.  Yeah, the tire size and wheel size have to be the same.  Nothing else to add, other again that we coach owners have an opportunity of gleen value from available used take offs from retired trucks.  My 1974 Crown has ten (10) 12Rx22.5 tires on 9" wide steel wheels.

Overkill, expensive and they are now over 7 years old.  Sossss the plan is to find a good set of take offs in 11Rx24.5 mounted on Alcoas.  Thank you Gary for your head's up on the quietness of the XZA3 type steer tread.  Anyway, we have an chance to save some $money$ on this.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2007, 07:51:04 AM »

Hello.

Bargain hunters, note the pattern in this thread:

Make friends with an independant Trucker and negotiate an early tire swapping deal.
Or, let the local tire shop know you are in the market, and you won't wait long.

The trucker's been running them successfully for many miles, that suggests reliable tires. The trucker would love a fresher set, especially leading into the fall/winter, but there's tread left.
On its own, just wanting new tires doesn't cut the grade on the balance sheet.
He has to get the money back out of them before getting new shoes.

You come up with the incentive $$, and before you can say "get the jack" they're swapped.

You run the same rims as he does, your rims/tires go on the truck, his on yours, and off to the tire shop goes the trucker, and you both have a smile on your face.

A busnut gotta save cash everywhere possible!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
sivrtnge2

1994 EAGLE 10/45 CAULDWELL CONVERSION

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2007, 03:50:38 PM »

I have some resources on virgin take offs as I am a trucker!!! I might also be able to get you a deal on new tires as well. If you are getting ready for a set, give me a week or 2 notice. This opportunity is for anyone who is interested!!!
--
BILL

...not trying to jack anyones thread...just trying to help Grin!!!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: