Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 24, 2014, 01:02:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OLYMPIAN Wave 6 ?  (Read 3953 times)
Reddog
1990 Thomas "Hormone Derange" Gunnison, Colorado

1990 Thomas Transitliner, 8.3 Cummins/Allison Auto

Ignore
« on: December 20, 2007, 09:30:16 AM »

Howdy,
  I am thinking of a little more heat in the back of Thomas. Mostly just to take the chill off in the AM without having to fire up the furnace or turn up the heat from same. Anybody have any experience with these units or similar ones? Cracking a window to help reduce condensation is not a problem, so that is not a factor. Any and all input is appreciated.
Doug Engel, Gunnison, CO

"If people don't stare and point as you drive by, keep working."
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 11:15:18 AM »

Hi Doug,

Seems to be a good unit!  I would be carefull with the bed covers and pillows in the back of the bus..

Olympian Wave 6
3200-5800 BTU adjustable output
1/4 lb./hr. fuel consumption
230 square feet of heated comfort (approx.)
Size: 17 7/8" H x 12 13/16" W x 4" D
Weight: 12 lbs
Can be wall mounted vertically or horizontally
Can be mounted recessed with optional kit.

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 11:20:48 AM »

I hoped for a moment this would be a question about a British Olympian bus.....oh well

(Sorry - cannot help with the heater)

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 11:57:43 AM »

Doug,

We have an Olympian heater. It's not a Wave 6 but it looks almost identical to the one in the pic, probably just an older model. We have it mounted to the kitchen counter front facing the front of the bus.  It is WONDERFUL!!!!!!

I can leave the furnace set on 60F at night to sleep & then light the heater in the morning. In about 8 minutes, everything is toasty. It's quiet, and we have had no trouble with condensation.

Try it! you'll Like it!   Grin Grin

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 12:22:00 PM »

Doug,

I have friends that mounted them on the wall at the entrance door.  That was in S&S coaches and they had the entrance in the middle of the coach.  Worked really well in that location as it was a cold spot.

I have one concern that wasn't mentioned and when I broached the subject to a friend his wife turned theirs off and would not allow it to be used....period.  These heaters use up oxegen.  In a room where one is in use the O2 level is reduced.  That puts a slight load on your heart.  Not much if you are vented, but a little.  The friend that quit using his had had two heart attacks but didn't understand the O2 problem associated with this heater.  I know they shut off if the O2 level gets low but at that point even I, with all the wind I can generate, am a little breathless if I start moving around.

This is a selling point for propane furnaces.....INSTANT HEAT and a built in circulation fan.

FWIW,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »

Hi Doug,

After reading John's post, I would read more on this heater because I was under the assumption that

any UL listed vented and non vented catylest heaters as of 1996' were mandated to carry a oxygen depletion sensors.

Read, Read, Read,.....  "CO, the Silent Killer"

Good Luck
Nick-

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Reddog

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 12:43:23 PM »

Hi,
  I found this:
Platinum is the finest, longest lasting (and most expensive) catalytic agent known. This establishes a chemical reaction (combustion) resulting in the release of low intensity infra-red heat waves...operating at all times below the temperature necessary to support flame combustion. It is this combination without flame that produces low intensity infrared catalytic heat that warms like the sun. With catalytic heating, no heat is lost through a flue or chimney. While the catalytic heating process consumes oxygen, it produces no harmful amounts of waste gas (i.e. carbon monoxide). A total free-air opening of 4" x 6" should be provided to replace oxygen consumed by the heater and occupants. Normally, opening a small window and/or roof vent is adequate ventilation. Additionally, the operating surface of Olympian Catalytic Safety Heaters is a maximum of 720 degrees Fahrenheit, well below the ignition temperature of clothing, paper or other combustibles. Flame type heaters waste up to 45% of all heat produced. Catalytic heating is 99.98% efficient, resulting in a completely safe, more efficient and low-cost heat. The waste products from catalytic combustion are water vapor and carbon dioxide, in approximately equally amounts. The Wave-6 can easily be made portable with the optional leg stands or hung on the wall either horizontally or vertically. The Wave-6 is easily carried to any cold spot for quick heating. Like all other Olympian catalytic safety heaters, the Wave-6 comes with a three year guarantee, piezo electric starter and 100% safety shut-off valve. No Flue or Chimney Safe-Dependable Installs in minutes Penetrating Soft Infrared Heat No Noise No Fan or Blower Wave-6: BTU Output: 3200 to 6000 Fuel Consumption at maximum output: 1/4 lb. per hour Gas Connection: 3/8" SAE FlareTypical RV Size: up to 18' (The area heated depends greatly on insulation R-Factor and outside temperature) Room Area Heated: 230 square feet Ignition: Piezo Spark. Can be recessed
 News to me.
 Doug Engel, Gunnison, CO

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 12:54:02 PM »

Doug,

Great post.  Really good mfr. data and i would guess it is all the gospel truth.  I don't feel contradicted in the least.  Should I?

No CO output should give everyone a "warm fuzzy feeling". (no pun intended)

Thanks,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 12:56:55 PM »

I like radiant heat.  I also dislike noise, so these heaters have their advantages.  It is clear though that one needs to have a window cracked to avoid oxygen depletion.  There was once another version of this type of heater available call the Platinum Cat.  They are out of business.  That one had a little vent tube and a mini fan to vent it.  It also had a thermostat.  I have one that I got on Craigslist but have not yet installed it.  I have thought that it probably would not be that difficult to add a vent tube and fan to the Olympian if one wanted.  Otherwise I think they are probably okay but maybe safest for use when awake.  Although, they have been around for quite some time and I have never heard of any catastrophes.  Since it has an auto shut off for low oxygen, it might also become less functional at high altitudes.  I guess the manufacturer would know.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 01:12:19 PM »

Hi Doug,

Good Research...

I would imagine that because it is manufactured fo the RV industry, that it's ok to Not to have an Oxygen Depletion Sensor ??

Heart stress and headachs are the first sign of low oxygen.  Please be carefull..

Now, this brings up another question... Wouldn't having a window open cause loss of efficency?  And a Draft? Is it UL listed?

Nick-

Reddog

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 01:24:02 PM »

No contradiction to anyone, just sharing info. and thanks for all your input. Does an open window need a UL listing?  D

Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 02:51:49 PM »

...and all this time I thought the FP for paper was 411 degrees F. One of us is confused; the add writer or me.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 03:22:31 PM »

Remember the movie "Fahrenheit 451"  In the movie, some asked "why Fahrenheit 451?" Answer
"because that is the ignition temperature of paper".  I think many common substances have ignition temperatures of less than 720 degrees. 
    It also says by-products are water vapor & CO2. Talk about condensation on the windows? Better get wipers (on the inside of the windows)  Jack
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 03:26:15 PM by JackConrad » Logged

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 03:24:44 PM »

Jack,
You got here before I could update my post. '451' is the correct number.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 03:26:59 PM »

Thanks Lee, I made the correction in my post.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: