Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 16, 2014, 12:09:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OLYMPIAN Wave 6 ?  (Read 3946 times)
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2007, 04:02:07 PM »

My blue flame ceramic heater also uses very little Propane. this is the third winter I have been trying to burn off everything in the tank so I can extend the fill valve to the outside body. and install a electric valve.

I open the roof vent and have very little smell in the bus,  If closed I agree the windows etc... show a lot of moisture

But when it is minus 35 I enjoy the heat more when working in the bus...

The unit I have was made in Italy if memory serves me right.

I had always heard of the blue wall of death but don't believe it after using this for three winters I accept the unit. I likly would not go to bed with it on tho No use being dead right/ wrong  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 04:18:49 PM by Paso One » Logged

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2007, 04:13:25 PM »

Hi Guy's,

It's not the humidity in your area that causes the excessive moisture. It's the LP gas it's self that has a very high content of water.

When burned, it let's off Carbon dixoide and Carbon Monoxide and and it is in a form of vapor.

Happy Holidays
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2007, 04:26:37 PM »

I would suspect that in a low humidity area, the moisture generated by the heater is quickly absorbed in the surrounding air, and that in a high humidity area, the air can not absorb any more moisture.

This is exactly the same as perspiration rapidly evaporating in the air in Arizona when the humidity is 10%. However in Florida your body stays wet for hours since the humidity is 90+% and the surrounding air is already saturated with moisture.

Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2007, 04:59:07 PM »

It looks like Platinum Cat is back in business.  I have not checked on the cost, but I remember they were not cheap.  Anyway, it is like the Olympian, but it is vented and has a thermostat.  Check the link.

http://www.ventedcatheater.com/6.html

You don't have to believe everything you think.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2007, 05:27:30 PM »

WOW Shocked

I share Charlie Davidson's amazement on this issue.  High School Physics 101, and take this to the bank Kiss  When combustion takes place you create three things...1)  HEAT   2) Carbon dioxide and maybe some monoxide   3) AND WATER    I repeat  AND WATER.  Propane has no water content to speak of.  If you burn charcoal you get what?  Water is the correct answer.  Gas or diesel engines have what in the exhaust?  Answer= water.  No exceptions, always generates water.  If you start out with damp fuel you get more water.  This is a scientific FACT.

Hope I wasn't to wishy washey on this, Wink Grin

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
gus

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2007, 06:21:53 PM »

Doug,

since the OLYMPIAN Wave 6 is so much more expensive why not buy one of the portable $80 Buddy heaters to see how you like it and what the condensation results are? It can be used just about anywhere if you decide to go with the OLYMPIAN Wave 6 later on.

I think you'll be surprised at how much heat the Buddy produces and how little moisture it produces.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
captain ron

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2007, 06:31:43 PM »

If I remember correctly a propane guy in Union City, Tn. told me that propane produces 4 Gallons of water to every gallon of propane. This sounds obsured and I could be wrong in quoting him. Think I will research the facts. But I know I had way too much water in my bus to feel comfortable about what damage it was doing.
captain ron

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2007, 06:50:37 PM »

After some research I found that 1 gallon of propane = 1.64 pounds of water which = about 1/2 liter of water. Would you pour or throw a 1/2 liter of water in your finished interior? The little Buddy (which I had and returned) only holds a small propane bottle the same as a propane tourch so it "SEAMS" to not put out any condensation but in reality it does.
buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2007, 07:51:41 PM »

It is easier to go by weight for calculating the reaction of gases because volume is arbitrary.  The ratio is approximately 1 lb of water produced for every 2.45 lbs of propane used.  One gallon of water weighs around 8.33 lbs.  I am not saying not to use the heaters, just be aware of moisture issues due to excessive use, especially in more humid climates.

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2007, 09:46:03 PM »

And dats dat!

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Reddog
1990 Thomas "Hormone Derange" Gunnison, Colorado

1990 Thomas Transitliner, 8.3 Cummins/Allison Auto

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2007, 07:26:22 AM »

I slept through science class to be more alert in shop, so all this is news ans very interesting to me. Reference going with a portable unit, I'm kinda a overboard guy and I really dislike more stuff that I have to secure during driving. Now is no time to start paying attention to the cost of this project, it might start a trend that my wife would pick up and run with (although if she hasn't by now, I really don't have to worry about it).
   I do wonder a little about the radiant heat deal. it is my understanding that radiant heat heats the objects in a room while most other types heat the air in a room. Sounds like these units work well, but I've never been around one.
  The moisture output is a definite consideration, but like I said, in our dry climate, it seems to dissapate before it becomes evident. It was plenty chilly on our Thanksgiving trip to Moab and we had 5 adults in the bus. Even while cooking the dinner, the windows were clear.
Doug

"If people don't stare and point as you drive by, keep working."
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: