Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 07:57:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for basic tach info ie., How to/what to install on an old 2 stroke?  (Read 1256 times)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« on: December 20, 2007, 03:33:21 PM »

Since I am going to be upgrading my wiring anyway, and I've always driven with tachs on my gas vehicles,  I am interested in any info regarding different brands / systems I can retrofit on an 671.   I don't even know how these work, do I install a sensor on a pulley?  Also aprox cost would be appreciated.  Thanks and merry Roshanukwanzmass.  Patrick.

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 03:39:53 PM »

On most 2 strokers, there will be a tach generator drive on the blower somewhere.  On my 8V-71, I had one on the back side of the blower and put the tack generator there and run a 3000rpm ISSPRO tach with engine hour meter.  Works well.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 03:44:35 PM »

I have a 3k ISSPRO also,  the signal comes off the alternator.

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 04:08:12 PM »

I also have an issapro made by vdo.  Picks up pulse off of r terminal on alternator.  Bought unit from us coach and found price to be far cheaper than most supply houses.  John
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 04:51:22 PM »

I also have a 3000 RPM tach that uses a signal from the R terminal on the alternator.  I purchased mine from Precision Speedometer in Phoniex, AZ. It came already programmed for my altermnator. I bought mine several years ago and I think it was about $80.00 
    It is standard 3 11/16" gauge and installed it where the OEM air pressure gauge was ( I replaceed the air pressure gauge with a 2 1/16" air pressure gauge).  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 04:53:42 PM »

I have a VDO that I recently replaced.  The original took its signal off a tach drive on what I consider the "back" of the battleship on the 8-92 (towards the front of the bus)  The new one didn't recognize the signal & I wasn't smart enough to figure out why so I just took the signal off the AC terminal on the alternator.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 02:17:45 AM »

Thanks everyone, this will give me enough info to start looking.  Patrick.

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 04:14:33 PM »

I bought mine online somewhere but can't remember where.  If I was at the stick house I could find the receipt but it is C O L D cold there now so ............. sorry but it ain't gonna happen.  If you're still looking in about late April let me know.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: