Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 26, 2014, 02:32:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 12 Volt Power Converters  (Read 1204 times)
Steve102C3

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2006, 10:58:24 AM »

I'm looking at a Progressive Dynamics power converter for my conversion, specifically the PD9160 with the Charge Wizard.

Does anyone have an opinion on these? Pros and Cons?  Another brand you would recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Steve in Arkansas.

Steve
1989 MCI 102C3
SW Arkansas
belfert

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 12:09:07 PM »

I upgraded to this model from an Iota after the Iota fried my batteries.  The PD did a very nice job of three stage charging of my batteries.  I could leave my RV plugged in all the time with no battery problems.  It will even equalize the batteries once a week.

Brian Elfert
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 09:27:36 PM »

Steve, FWIW, these days, most folks invest in a decent RV-style inverter/charger unit. Unless you plan on spending a lot of time plugged-in (and you might... and that's fine), you'll likely want an inverter anyway (unless you plan on running the genset a lot... and that's fine).

If you're truly not needing an inverter, though, and as long as your unit has a good 3-stage charger... it sounds like it might be a good deal.

BTW, a used 2500w mod. sine w/ 130A 3-stage charger/ 30A AC transfer switch can probably had for about $700-$800 on eBay. Dunno what price point your converter is...

HTH,
Brian Brown
4108-216

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
Steve102C3

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 06:52:15 AM »

Brian and Brian,

Thanks for the input.

I always have my generator running or I'm plugged in. I really don't have a need for an inverter. If it was just my wife and I, it would be different. We almost always have a minimum of 5 traveling which means 2 a/c's running plus TVs, hair dryers, curling irons, and all the other accessories required by teenaged girls.

I've been using a bench battery charger for a little while, but I know it's not designed for operating like this.

Thanks again.

Steve

Steve
1989 MCI 102C3
SW Arkansas
NCbob

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 03:22:45 PM »

May the Bus God's Bless you my son...you seem to be drowing in a sea of Estrogren (Bil Engvall)!

But trust that time passes and you'll one day have the luxury of being the Father of the Bride(s)!

Enjoy it while it lasts.  Grin

A happy father of 3 wonderful girls (now married and gone)!

NCbob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: