Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 11:29:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Duel Tanks  (Read 2283 times)
captain ron

« on: December 23, 2007, 08:55:57 PM »

I forget who but somebody on here has duel tanks on their MCI. Do these tanks have a switching system or are they tied together by being fed with a fuel line low in the tank. The reason I'm asking if they are separated by a switch then they probably have the type of valve I need for my WVO system that will have supply and return for each tank. Part #s and a place to find them would be nice also. Thanks
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 08:58:37 PM »

Ron the MCI's that had the auxilery tank in the front bay did not have a switch over merely connected by hoses bottom to bottom! HTH FWIW!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
captain ron

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 09:09:07 PM »

Thanks for ruining my day  Cry
captain ron

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 09:10:21 PM »

Are there any duel tank buses with what I need?
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 11:07:32 PM »

Don't know about buses with dual tanks.  Lots of trucks seem to have them.  What system do they use?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 12:56:12 AM »

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10101/s-10101/p-100000219616/mediaCode-ZX/appId-100000219616/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000219616

er go ron

they also have 3 ways if you want to use two and stage the shift

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 02:28:36 AM »

Problem is that if it is a full dual tank system you would also have to switch over the return pipe as well as the suction pipe. Either that or use most of one tank first and then switch to the second tank with the return still going to the first tank, then back to the first tank. Get it the wrong way and you would be in big trouble for leaving a trail of diesel behind you.

Fuel injected planes have problems with management of dual tanks and more than one has gone to earth because of fuel wasted through being returned to a full tank and overflowing.

captain ron

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 08:32:22 AM »

John, I'm not sure if that one is big enough  for the fuel consumption of an 8V92. Good price though.
Tony, All of these valves I have seen return fuel to the tank they draw from.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 08:38:27 AM »

You might want to consider seperate valves for supply and return so that you don't cross contaminate the tanks when switching.  You could switch the supply, then a minute or so later, switch the returns after the lines are purged.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 09:06:19 AM »

Quote from: Charley Davidson
Thanks for ruining my day  Cry

Sorry just trying to help by telling the truth!

Quote from: Charley Davidson
Are there any duel tank buses with what I need?

Again I am sorry to admit that I don't know of any set up that way, but then again I don't know everything. Maybe one of our bus guru's such as Dallas, Russ, Tekebird, or BW will know of one! Good luck! I was gonna suggest one like the new trk we bought has, but probably is too small!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 09:44:46 AM »

I don't know of any.

why don't you just contact Golden Fuel Systems in MO.  Owner is a member of the board and this is what he does for a living.

kd5kfl

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 09:52:59 AM »

According to a retired fireman I once knew, the single most common cause of vehicle fires is homebrewed tank switching systems. I would assume that this is fostly gasoline vehicles.

Second most common cause: selling it to the insurance company.

Honorable mention: Pressed in brass fuel fitting on hot Solex carbs pops out, spraying gas on hot VW engines. Which is why a VW burning on an uphill mountain road was once a not uncommon sight.

Almost never: vehicle catches fire after acident, so common in movies and TV.
sivrtnge2

1994 EAGLE 10/45 CAULDWELL CONVERSION

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2007, 10:08:40 AM »

I can get you the information you need. However, to make it work, you will need the exact same length lines and the exact same size. The system is known as a duel feed dual return system with 2 valves. I just bought the parts to correct a problem with my truck so I am speaking from hands on experience. Also, If you are running the lines in different directions, they will have to be the exact same elevation or it will throw off the system. When running your lines, try not to have any loops, long sags, or high humps in the lines which again will through off your system. Once again I will get you some parts numbers by Wednesday.
--
BILL
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 01:26:19 PM »

Any number of ways it could be done.  What I am planning is running two separate fuel tanks, each with a dedicated feed/return electric fuel pump.  Obviously this will entail feed and return lines of the proper diameter, along with the employed pump(s) wired thru the engine oil pressure sensor/relay.  Might also run about a one gallon accumulator tank.  Not sure.  The extra pressure gages would also be nice.

Many people have done this employing just one fuel level gage with a simple two position switch switching both the tank, pump and gage.  Since I am kinda feeble minded, my plan is to make the system as idiot proof (me!) as possible employing two separate complete systems along with that important, dedicated, protected tank switching switch.

Yeah, Dad's old Cessna had a complicated system where it was quite possible to overfill a already full tank, run out of gas, then bleed profusely, then burn completely.  You had to be very careful with your fuel management, since it balanced out the aircraft and stuff.  I want to make my coach much more simple.  Also for what it is worth, the planned gen set may be able to suck from either tank.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2007, 01:36:49 PM »

Anderson or Pollack make the valves (6 way) - HTH

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print