Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 08:11:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: water guage  (Read 1457 times)
christopher

Ignore
« on: May 29, 2006, 06:17:42 PM »

i installed a clear tube to see the level of my water tank. its about 2 ft from the tank inline to the water pump. how come the tube filled up and is not the same level as the tank?
thanx
chris
mci5c
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 06:25:33 PM »

Does your sight tube re-enter the top of the surge tank? If you've added a tube that is attached at the bottom of the surge tank, and the top of the tube is open to atmosphere (or some other point in the cooling system), a pressure differential is pushing water up the tube. A sight tube is OK, and should work, as long as both ends terminate in the surge tank. Lower end of sight tube where water enters below water level, and the top should end in the upper level of the surge tank, above the usual level of water.
Post a pix of what you've done and I guaruntee someone will sort it out!
Cheers, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 06:32:39 PM »

Hi Chris, I've got a 79 MCI5C with the 6V71/644 Auto, Saudi model. I have never been able to keep the coolant level up to the sight glass in the surge tank. I replaced the green silicon hose with a clear to view the level of the coolant.  The clear hose needs to be cleaned or replaced as it clouds/fogs? up.
                                                                 HTH Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 06:42:58 PM »

I think Chris is reffering to his fresh water tank, not the bus cooling system.

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 07:03:18 PM »

I think Chris is reffering to his fresh water tank, not the bus cooling system.

OOPs! I think you are right. Hmmmm...same principal though...attach the top of the hose to the top of the water tank and not to other plumbing components. May be that the tank vent is kinked..? Is the tank vented? Has to have a dedicated vent.
Post a pix of what you are working on.
Cheers, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 04:51:21 AM »

Chris,

If this clear line your looking at goes straight to the pump, the reason it is not equal to the water level is caused by the trapped air between the top of the water you are seeing and the pump.

To use the pipe as a water level it either needs to vent back into the top of the tank or atmoshpere.

Cliff
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 05:25:36 AM by Floridacracker » Logged

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 04:58:26 AM »

yep, the top needs to be open to atmosphere, or attached back into the top of the water tank or vent line.

I wouldn't recommend having it attached to the suction line of the pump, either, as when the pump turns on, it will suck the water out of the tube, and pull air into the suction line.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: