Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 20, 2014, 09:01:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: roof or bay ac? that is the question  (Read 1238 times)
coachcrazy

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2006, 02:33:49 PM »

roof mount or units mounted in the bay.   what are the advantages/disadvantages of both?   it seems like this is a decision that should be made very early on.  please share your thought and opinions
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 02:51:24 PM »

This was an easy decision for me since I have a transit without the room underneath.  I do not have engine run dash air (did not want to run 40ft of freon line).  So I have three Coleman 13,500btu with standard hang down diffusers (not ducted).  Front A/C is mounted close to the front, and with a dash fan, I stay very comfortable, even in 100 degree weather.  The second is just about in the middle and the rear is over the bed.  Going down the road usually run the front and back, with the middle used at night.  While the Colemans are good units (don't get the heat strips-are about useless), they only have a two speed fan which is more like high and medium so night time use is not as quiet as I'd like.  The Duotherms have three speed fan and I understand the Carriers are quiet-with Carrier also having the lowest profile unit available.  Advantages- easy to install, easy to service, about half to one third the cost of basement units, can replace one in about two hours, most every RV supply house has them in stock, very proven.  Dissadvantages-have that weight (in my case about 300lb) high up on the roof, you have the not so good looking units on the roof to look at, more likely to leak.
As far as basement units, there is the split type with the condenser and compressor underneath with the evaporator easily placed (relatively small) inside a cabinet.  Most noteable type is Cruiseair by Duotherm.  Then there is the split type that has just the condenser outside with the compressor and evaporator inside.  Mount on the floor and duct it up to the ceiling for discharge. Relatively easy to install, are quiet, but cost about 3 times a roof mount.  Then there are the all in one units where the condensor, compressor and evaporator is all underneath in one cabinet.  This is usually the most challenging in that the design and sizing of the duct work coming up into the bus is critical.  Also expensive. 
Personally, if I were to do it again, I would use the Tundra split system that has been built for the trucking industry (www.tundra.cc go to trucking).
You'll find all sorts of opinions here.  If you are in doubt, the roof top is always the easiest, and also keeps all that equipment out of the basement.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 02:56:59 PM »

Hello Coach Crazy,

This subject has been covered many times. You can do a search here and find just as many outlooks too!

My personal choice is basement ducted, I don't here anything running at night! And I like the clean roofline!

The only way to find your liking is to find some bus nuts with both versions and you can make the choice yourself!

Good Luck!

Nick Badame-
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 03:10:41 PM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
coachcrazy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 03:42:09 PM »

sorry, i should have done a search.  Embarrassed   
Ace

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 03:49:43 PM »

Hey Nick you forgot to mention that the fact you like the basement a/c's over roof air's is because that's your business in real life! LOL

On the other hand, I prefer roof air and 3 of them at that. Reason is, they are cheaper for us not associated in the a/c business and if one goes out the other stay lit! Wait, that's the christmas lights! It still works the same with the roof a/c's too!

Oh well.... on that note, I'll have another corona

Ace
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: