Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 07:44:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: is changing propane shut off a DIY project?  (Read 4417 times)
gus

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2008, 09:59:04 PM »

John,

After returning home to my own computer and taking another look at your photos I have another view of your setup.

The yellow round cap covers the filling valve hole which is self closing when the filler nozzle is removed. Your fill system is exactly the same as on my ancient home 250gal tank.

I think you have no 80% protection valve. The valve to the right is simply an on/off valve.  The gage next to this valve tells the person filling the tank when you have 80% but I see nothing to indicate you have an automatic overfill prevention device (OPD) as required on new tanks.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 05:50:30 PM by gus » Logged

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2008, 06:33:59 AM »

Gus, your right that the tank does not have an auto OPD on it. The manual 80% valve is to the right and down, of the main shut off. It is a bit hard to see in the photo. The head of the 80% valve is about the size of a dime. The manual valve works well unless you get some kid filling it who does not have a clue what he is doing.

This project is temp on hold for a few days, while i take care of some other things. I want to have the tank tested. Either that or replaced. Not sure which way i will wind up going.

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2008, 06:52:46 AM »

John I was in the propane business in the 70's.  Looking around the valves and gauge the safety ring may have been removed.  That tank may have been modified. I would replace the tank.  If you are close enough to Elkhart IN you should be able to find a tank at one of the salvage places.
John Z

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2008, 08:28:27 AM »

BTC et al; thanks for all the input. Some really good info came in on this for me. I have given up on the old tank. It was last pressure tested in 1978. And i have no doubt that it is still sound. After considering the cost to have it tested and changed over to new valves and regulators i decided to pull it. I have ordered two 50 pound tanks, a new regulator with auto switchover, and a gas detector. All that is left is the hoses or lines to hook the new regulator to the bus system. Thanks again for all the help!

www.silverbrook-mn.com

buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2008, 08:36:24 AM »

Be sure to update us and provide some photos when you make the switch.

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
John Z

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2008, 08:55:36 AM »

I will take some photos of the project. I was told by the dealer that tanks over 40 pounds are not required to have the OPD valve. These 50 pound tanks have the small 80% fill valve like my big tank has. I liked that idea as it seems more foolproof than the OPD which is just something else to go wrong. The 80% valve is pretty bulletproof, open it, fill until gas starts to come out, stop filling!

I would like to get a manifold for the tank bay so i could put that in as i redo the gas runs. Anyone know if these are available before i head to town and start chasing around looking for them?

www.silverbrook-mn.com

gus

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2008, 09:52:22 AM »

John,

Unless you use a really large amount of LP I would recommend smaller tanks, maybe 30lb, which you can still carry when full and not have to find a place on the road that is accessible to your bus.

I did this with the 20lb tanks and have been grateful ever since for the absence of all the fuss trying to get the old permanent one filled. I would have preferred the 30lb tanks but they are too heavy for an old guy like me.

I think you can find brass manifolds at any auto supply store which have NPT threads into which you can screw your LP flare fittings.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2008, 10:02:31 AM »

John,
I think you can find brass manifolds at any auto supply store which have NPT threads into which you can screw your LP flare fittings.

If you use NPT fittings, remeber to use a pipe thread compund that is approved for LP.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: