Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 06:40:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiser’s website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Propane fridge question  (Read 2464 times)
tekebird

Ignore
« on: December 31, 2007, 09:40:58 AM »

Just sold the propane fridge I had listed.

It was working when taken out of the coach, Then made a 8 hour trip in a bay on it's side.

Gentleman that got it had a 4 hour trip or so on it's side again.

Got it home and hooked it up evidently and it is not working.

Not owning a propane fridge ever I don't know squat really......I do seem to recall something aboutinverting them as there is some amonia buidup issue or something when they are not in upright position...also when not level.

Any ideas?

jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 09:51:13 AM »

Doug, there was a post recently here about the propane not working well on gas.  It was a long thread.  I recall someone made reference arounf the 3rd or forth page to the inverting the refridgerator and the reason for it.  You may want to check that post.
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 10:16:55 AM »

He may have to turn it off and let it set for a couple of days so the Ammonia can drain back to the bottom.  It will work better on propane than electric.   This is if the propane burner is lighting and etc.  also must have 12volts DC hooked to fridge.
sweeney153

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 11:51:08 AM »

I am the "Gentleman" who purchased the fridge.  I have to admit I thought Doug was pulling my leg when he said to turn it upside down.

I didn’t hook it up to propane. I tried it on 120. I have now turned it upside down and will leave it till tomorrow and try again. Should I wait a day after turning it right side up? It is a model HM100 and any info any one has would be greatly appreciated. Any idea where to get a manual?

Thanks

Kevin

Warwick NY
1964 4106-2703 8V71 Spicer 4 speed
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 12:41:30 PM »

On my old fridge, I generally needed to let it sit plugged in for 7 or 8 hours to get it down to the right temp.  How long was it plugged in for?

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
sweeney153

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 01:54:20 PM »

I had it plugged in overnight about 12 hours after sitting a day.
I put a glass with ice in the freezer. this morning it was warm water.

Warwick NY
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 02:55:21 PM »

What kind of fridge is it? Upside down for one and on its side for the other. Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
sweeney153

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 02:58:26 PM »

it is a dometic hm100

Warwick NY
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 03:18:36 PM »

You would still have to let the thing set (UPRIGHT!) for a couple of days to let the ammonionina settle.  If it still doesn't work then, try gently rocking and shaking it.  Yeah, sounds dorky, but it works.  Also you might (lots of luck) go after the trucking company that screwed it up in the first place shipping not in an upright position.  They should know better.  The thing is not designed for any kind of abuse--on its side. Sorry.  Happy New Year.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 01:32:16 AM »

Kevin,

Good news!  I have a Dometic that was made in 73.  When i turn it on I get ice on the freezer walls in about 5 minutes.  Refer is cold in an hour.

The manual called for running the coach down a rough road to get it back operating.  I think the suggestion to rock it back and forth was a really good one.  The operation where you invert it and set in on its side is something I read associated with a Norcold.  That article said if that didn't get the Norcold working you should buy a new refer.  DOMETIC!

Contact Dometic for advice.  Setting it on its side might have caused a situation that requires special fixing that is not common or requires more complicated steps.  My opinion is that if it worked when it was shut off it should work now unless you smell anmonia.

HTH my friend.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 08:45:51 AM »

Unless you have any reason to suspect the ammonia has leaked out it should work.  I have a good friend who does a lot of work on RV fridges.  His advice to me when the Dometic in our fifth wheel wouldn't cool properly was to pull the trailer over a rough road and clean the cobwebs out of the chimney.  Worked for us.  Shake the bejeebers out of it with it sitting sort of upright.  And some of them never cool worth a damn on electric but still work great on gas.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 11:53:39 AM »

I'm sure this is a waste to ask, but was it checked to see if the electric element was actually getting hot?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
sweeney153

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 02:26:11 PM »

I'm sure this is a waste to ask, but was it checked to see if the electric element was actually getting hot?

That would be a dumb question if I had checked. Since I didn't it's a good question

My experience with these units prior to this is turning them on and getting a beer out of them when it's cold. I can't even figure out why it works. you heat it up to make it cold.

Now for the update.
I turned it back over (right side up) and heard gurgling. I think that's good. From what everyone is telling me I should wait a few days to turn it on. So Saturday I'll try again. If it's not snowing or raining, I'll take it outside Level it and try the gas too.

Thanks all for your help.

I am the definition of a newbee as far as bus conversions go and can use all the help i can get..

Warwick NY
wrench

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 02:40:26 PM »

By the description, it sound like a dometic RM100, Here a place where to download a shop manual:
This specific ref if guess is good,    http://www.rvmobile.com/Tech/Trouble/gassys.htm
then the tech link: http://www.rvmobile.com/Tech/Technical.htm
          good luck
           wrench
sweeney153

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 04:46:57 PM »

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I plugged it in today and had Ice in 2 hours.

Now I just have to find some knobs and I am all set.

Kevin

Warwick NY
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 05:52:17 PM »

Kevin,

My friends Norcold had set for a year in a 5th wheel.  It was level.  When I turned it on I heard a loud gurgleing sound and got no cold anywhere.  I went to a shop i trust and asked for help.  He told me that if it made a gurgle sound it was hoplessly shot.  He didn't ask for the carcass and he didn't have one for sale so i think he was on the up and up.  I GUESS that advice pertained to the Norclod alone and not the Dometic.

Glad for your good news......told ya Roll Eyes Grin

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: