Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 28, 2014, 01:34:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tool for shaving spray foam insulation  (Read 3623 times)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »

Hornet,

That is some INTERESTING info.  If that works with sprayed foam, your rig is a must.  Even if it won't do the whole job I would build it for what it would do.

Thanks,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »

Don't forget to add The Amazing Ginsu to you aresonal( or any other cheap serrated kinfe)

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
gene lewis

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 09:35:13 PM »

U might want to visit Tom Hall's site http://users.cwnet.com/~thall/articles.htm.

Click on Articles then click on Fred Hobe and look over the tips he has, ideas, and tools he has made over his years of converting buses.

He is a power house of knowledge and more than willing to share with anyone who asks.  He has given quite a few free seminars loaded with tips on how to convert a bus to a motorhome.

Maybe this can help someone.

Enjoying the journey from NC,

gene

Work like you don't need the money; Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody is watching.
What a journey in NC.
Gene - 05 Eagle

I-95 at Dunn, 12 miles W. on US 421. Some tools and know-how. Coffee on-we'll talk buses. Bus troubles – can & will assist as far as cable-toe will permit.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 07:54:22 AM »

I would suggest a Goretex filter for your shop vac if you are doing this.  The paper filters might not filter as well, plus they will be harder to clean when they get dirty.  Dirt and dust just falls off the Goretex filters when you remove them to clean them up.

Yes, the Goretex filters are spendy at $30, but your health is worth it since less stuff will get through the filter.  My experience so far is that Goretex filters should last many times longer than a regular filter.

The Goretex filters for Ridgid and Sears shop vacs are at Home Depot.  No idea if they make them for the Shop Vac brand.

Brian from my experience any filter should last a long time in your vacuum, since ya left it plugged in when ya pulled outta my shop and tore the end off the cord! LOL! (sorry didn't mean to tell, but I couldn't resist with the subject you were on! LOL!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2008, 08:09:13 AM »

Brian from my experience any filter should last a long time in your vacuum, since ya left it plugged in when ya pulled outta my shop and tore the end off the cord! LOL! (sorry didn't mean to tell, but I couldn't resist with the subject you were on! LOL!
Grin  BK  Grin

That was my extension cord I left plugged in.  It still works, but the ground pin came out.  I've used the vacuum a lot since I was at your place.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Green-Hornet

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2008, 09:44:01 AM »

Hornet,

That is some INTERESTING info.  If that works with sprayed foam, your rig is a must.  Even if it won't do the whole job I would build it for what it would do.

Thanks,

John
Should work like a hot knife through butter.
Only now a hot wire through foam. Wink
Just an idea. I have not tried it out. If you try it please report back. Hope it helps.
larryc

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2008, 09:11:19 AM »

I was at a Square Dance last night and a fellow told me about a system used for spraying cellulose mixed with water between joists in a new home. The dried mixture shaved immediately afterward and the removed material was then thrown right back into the hopper for reuse!
I don't know if anyone has used this system for bus conversions but if there is any interest I will try to find out more.
I believe the company was out of Birmingham, Alabama.

LarryC

Bus Maintenance, Parts and Operators Manuals
Coach Information Network  www.coachinfo.com

Videos and Photos from the dean of
bus photographers, Bob Redden
Redden Archives   www.reddenarchives.com
bergdoll

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2008, 09:46:19 AM »

i plan on doing the "spray foam" to my bus as well as my house, but i am going to invest the $ for the rig/job myself & hopefully can make some $ hiring the rig out?!? anyways, on some home improvement show i watched, theses guys use what looked like a "sawzall" with about a 3' blade ( looked like a piece of 'banding' material used on big sewer/storm lines),anyways, this cut right through the spray foam perfectly even with the house studs. there is no way i'm doing the "grinder thing", what a mess!
lately i've been "hooked" on Holmes on Homes & what a find! especially since the 'bargain fixer upper' i bought (ca$h) was built by a complete moron... who insulated with newspapers from 1948 & did a terrible job at that. still waiting to tear out some more walls & find "that bundle of cash"... best thing i found so far was a 1948 Sport magazine w/joe louis on the cover in still readable shape. $10. on ebay...
got the bus moved into the backyard, built a nice gate & threw the garage in the toters, literally.
plans to build a "bus barn" 25' X 55' with a Gambrel roof... & a new house attatched to that...
getting this bus is one of the best things i've ever did in my life!

1982 Prevost Champion/Marathon under construction...
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008, 09:46:43 AM »

I was at a Square Dance last night and a fellow told me about a system used for spraying cellulose mixed with water between joists in a new home. The dried mixture shaved immediately afterward and the removed material was then thrown right back into the hopper for reuse!
I don't know if anyone has used this system for bus conversions but if there is any interest I will try to find out more.
I believe the company was out of Birmingham, Alabama.

Won't work.. It falls off with vibration.. Also can absorb water from air and in a bus interior condensation is a very large factor. Better stay with the Foam systems it stays stuck and doesn't tend to absorb moisture...

Dave....

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: