Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 04:29:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Door Panel on MC 9  (Read 846 times)
jhaggerty

Ignore
« on: January 02, 2008, 02:24:36 PM »

Hello, and Happy New Year to all,

I want to do some work on the entrance door on an MC 9. How do I remove the inner door panel? I have removed the fittings on the inside, hinge ,grab rail, etc. Does the trim around the outside of the panel clip into the door frame?

Thanks ,
Jim
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 03:57:52 PM »

There's some info here: http://www.gumpydog.com/bus/MC9_WIP/Mechanical/Door_Latch/door_latch.htm

The trim snaps onto the channels which are riveted through the panel to the door frame. You have to remove the upper hinge bolts, too.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
jhaggerty

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 04:23:41 PM »

Thanks, Gumpy. I'll have a look at it tomorrow. The heat in my shop isn't the best. About zero F. tonight.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 05:57:20 PM »

Pry off the SS edge trim and you'll find a 'track' for the SS trim is pop riveted thru the aluminum inner door panel to the door frame.  As Craig said, the upper hinge must be removed to totally remove the panel.   
Drill out all the pop rivets and off it comes.   
The SS door trim can be resused as long as it isn't bent while trying to remove it.  Gently start at one of the corners and use a flat wide screwdriver to lift it up.  If you don't plan to reuse it, grab it with vise-grips and snatch it off. 
We removed the SS trim and upholstered a panel that fits the footprint of the aluminum panel.  Quiet and much warmer in sub-freezing weather.
Zero huh?  Couldn't deal with that... Embarrassed
We got something like 14* low tonight...hate it.  HOWEVER, as is typical here in NC, this weekend will see 60s again!  Very nice!   Grin
Cheers, JR

BTW, the upper hinge bolts are prone to seizing.  Use some anti-seize compound on the bolts when replacing them.  Be careful with the adjustment too.  Precisely mark the upper hinge location.  It is critical to alignment of the door.  Don't slam the door shut when bolted back on unless you have a window open.  You may find yourself jammed out of the bus.  This is true if your adding a CG lock too. Leave some way to get into the bus until your satisfied that the lock or door is working correctly.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 06:00:43 PM by NJT5047 » Logged

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: