Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
November 24, 2017, 04:56:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiser’s website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pacific Storm  (Read 1320 times)
Bob Belter

Eagle 01 //Cummins M-11 Roadranger OD RTO1110

Ignore
« on: January 05, 2008, 07:08:16 PM »

Ahoy, Bus Folk

WWWHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Whadda  Storm!!!!!   Friday morning, 4 Jan, a big Pacific storm was in full rage here in Carmel, CA.  I was watching the ridge across from my home, as the big Monterey Pines waved in the wild winds.  One broke off, plunged between two houses with no damage to either.  These trees are big --  110’ –130’  tall, and about 2’-3’ trunks.  They can really squash things.  Years ago, I had all the Monterey Pines which hazarded my house or guest house taken down.  The Coast  Live Oaks are tough  --- No problem  ---NOT!!!! 

We lost power in the house, and at about 1100 I was in the Bus, with my own power, when there was a loud crack, and then a tremendous bang and the Bus plunged and shook.  Plenty exciting!!!!   I really took a hit!!!  Went out in the storm and saw that a giant Coast Live Oak alongside the Bus had the crown torn off and it crashed down on the bus.  Hit the left side roof about 1/3 back.  Sucker was about a foot in diameter!!!!

Caved in the roof, but did not bend the upper longeron.  Or the rib frames in the local area.  Probable repair is two roof skin sections without even disturbing the inner cabinets in the galley.

That big Eagle Bus is TOUGH!!!!  I believe that an ordinary motorhome would have been totaled by such a hit.  Bus is perfectly useable, but does need repair. 

OK, So Happy New Year to all.

Enjoy  /s/  Bob
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 06:57:13 AM »

Bob, we pray that you and your family stay safe and sheltered from that storm.

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
cody

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 07:18:20 AM »

Wow, those storms sound bad, glad your bus will be ok, sounds like you got lucky.  This just shows how tough the buses are.  I've accepted the blame for the oklahoma ice storm and the blizzard on our way south, including the deep freeze after we hit florida but I'm kinda hesitant to take responsibility for the pacific coast storms lol. 
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 08:19:46 AM »

Hi Bob,
I'm glad to hear you are alive and doing well.  I'm sorry about your bus.  Thankfully it doesn't sound too major to repair.  I agree with you on the fatal damage probability with the S&S type.  Let us know how it goes.
-Brian
wvanative

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 02:46:16 PM »

Wow, those storms sound bad, glad your bus will be ok, sounds like you got lucky.  This just shows how tough the buses are.  I've accepted the blame for the oklahoma ice storm and the blizzard on our way south, including the deep freeze after we hit florida but I'm kinda hesitant to take responsibility for the pacific coast storms lol. 

Cody, Have you ever been to the west coast, thought about going to the west coast, or ever look at a map of the west coast in the last month? If the answer to any of the last three questions is yes then we might be able to let you take full or part responsibility for the actions of the weather on the west coast. Man you've been blamed for the other already why not step up and claim you're rightful title as the official "Busnut Weather Guy" heck you may have to change your handle LOL

WVaNative
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 07:42:51 AM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Dean Hamilton Villa Grove, IL East Central IL. Near Champaign
Still Dreaming and planning
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 04:12:26 PM »

Sorry to hear about your bus Bob - it was kind of a steel tent the last time I saw it so you must have progressed if it now has cabinets.  Many years ago when I was little the local preacher was camping near our town when a vicious wind storm blew a tree down on his camper, neatly slicing it cleanly in half and narrowly missing his sleeping infant.  The next morning I was downtown with father and the local gas attendant commented on the incident thusly "Now that was a hell of a thing for the Lord to let happen to a preacher ..... and on a Sunday night to boot."

R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 04:18:27 PM »

Hey Bob,

I heard that you guys got hit, we have business in Monterey area and they said they lost power and shut down. Didn't know it was that bad though! Do you have any pics?

You're in Carmel? I get down to Monterey and Carmel usually about once or twice a year. Must be a pretty penny to store a 40' bus anywhere near Carmel. We looked a the homes there and promptly looked away!

-Dave

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: