Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 06:50:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: this torque setting CAN'T be right  (Read 1310 times)
86neoplan

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2006, 07:39:55 PM »

I took the lil bus for a joy ride today, and was welcomed by a loose rear wheel. Not overly loose, but i did notice the trails on the wheel.

I looked in my service book and it says the wheel torque is 500-550 ft lbs!

I didnt think a 747 had torque numbers like that!

How do I do this one?

shawn

Proud single custodial dad to a wonderful 14 year old son, Owner of a 1986 Neoplan 26' transit Bus AN408, Great weekender...Lots of work to come on this bus, can't wait to get her done! 8.2L with a Allison AT545...
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 08:37:58 PM »

I went to eBay & found a torque multiplier. You will need patience to get a good deal on one. The good sockets & extension bar are pricey. I've got about $350 in mine (but it is big & heavy), & it sure is nice to be able to get the big nuts & bolts on & off with out hurting myself.

Good luck!
kyle4501

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Nusa

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 09:52:44 PM »

Or you can use a low-tech solution which works fine for someone who doesn't have to do it on a daily basis.

Torque(in foot-pounds) = length(in feet) * force(in pounds) when the force is applied at a 90 degree angle (typical way a lug wrench is used).

The handiest weight around is usually your own body. If the lug wrench has a long enough handle (extend with pipe if not),you merely have to put your entire weight without bouncing at the right point on the handle to get the right torque.

For example, if you weigh 200 lbs, and the desired torque is 550 pounds, the formula for the unknown length would be:
length = torque / force = 550 foot-pounds / 200 pounds = 2.75 feet = 2 feet 9 inches.

If you're a lightweight, you'll need a longer handle. If you're like me, 2 feet is enough.

If the nut turns when you put your weight on it, it wasnt tight enough yet. Don't bounce, or you may get it too tight.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: