Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 22, 2014, 04:49:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tour Bus rollover in So. Utah  (Read 4110 times)
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2008, 04:31:42 PM »

How did a bus that is about 40' in circumference roll over 3 times in 41'?

Even if it was a 41' vertical elevation change it would be only 61.5' if on a 45 deg. angle.

Ed

I agree, the passenger said that he was going by the number of impacts and apparently assumed that each meant one complete flip. Each impact assuming that there were no others would be at least 4 per flip assuming that the bus smoothly completed the turns only hitting the edges as it turned.
I suspect that his counts are off (he did head head injury plus mass confusion) and since apparently the bus landed right side up it would be more likely of a skidding half flip laying it down and then back would it not? Still, lot's o damage for that too.

Either way a really hairy ride and I feel for those folks. I've never ridden on a commercial bus myself, in fact mine is the only one but I'd be pretty scared going through what they did.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 04:33:48 PM by Paladin » Logged

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2008, 08:24:21 PM »

Hey I just saw on the news where they said that they found the black box for the bus.
I was unaware that buses carried a black box.

8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2008, 09:00:45 PM »

Paladin, For years Detroits have had a box, I call it an ECM, that record a lot of information on a second by second basis.  Usually it will tell you the speed the vehicle was traveling for a minute or two prior to the crash, at what second brakes were/weren't hit, turn signal information, hard braking events, etc.  There is a lot of infor mation there.  That is probably the 'black box' they were taking about.
Jack Hart

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2008, 09:20:03 PM »

I assume the Detroit ECM mentioned here is the DDEC.  I wonder what generation of the DDEC started recording this information, or maybe they all do?

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2008, 05:01:17 AM »

Belfert, you are right, ECM/DDEC, same thing.  They have been doing this for quite a few years, not sure, however I think way back in the early 90's.  Someone else may know for sure.
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2008, 05:50:18 AM »

Your family car stores the same kind of information. After vehicle accidents with death or serious injury, the police take the computer for download and the data will be used in court.
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2008, 07:09:32 AM »

For the record, I agree with the earlier posts.  This was not a "Greyhound" accident, so I'd hoped the moderators would change the topic (maybe "Bus Rollover").  Since the thread is still active, and the information that it wasn't the hound is on earlier pages, some readers may think the Hound really was involved - when they weren't.

Kind of like the news media talking about the 80 passenger bus.

Full disclosure - one of my occasional clients has, as it's parent company, the same company that now owns Laidlaw, and thus the Hound.  That's not the reason for this comment - I hate to see any company be maligned when they weren't involved - when they already have enough of their own incidents.

Arthur

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2008, 07:56:48 AM »

Your family car stores the same kind of information. After vehicle accidents with death or serious injury, the police take the computer for download and the data will be used in court.

My understanding is this is only in fairly new cars in the last 10 years or so.  I've not heard of police routinely using this data.  Lawyers are certainly using this data in civil lawsuits.

I know a lot of people don't like these black boxes, but if you drive sensibly and reasonably close to the speed limit you shouldn't have much to worry about.  If you drive recklessly, well then you need to worry if the box will show you were way over the speed limit right before a crash.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2008, 09:05:21 AM »

Uh, the key is in reading the entire thread. I said that it was apparently still new news. At the time that I posted the thread they were announcing that it was a Greyhound rollover. Also, I couldn't even find any info on the local news stations web pages at that moment.

The point is that at the time of the posting the information might have been incorrect but was the best available since nobody apparently had it right. The real conversation isn't about the company that owns the bus or even fault, it's about a tragic accident. I wasn't aware that anyone was really pointing fingers requiring clarifying ownership.

For the record, I agree with the earlier posts.  This was not a "Greyhound" accident, so I'd hoped the moderators would change the topic (maybe "Bus Rollover").  Since the thread is still active, and the information that it wasn't the hound is on earlier pages, some readers may think the Hound really was involved - when they weren't.

Kind of like the news media talking about the 80 passenger bus.

Full disclosure - one of my occasional clients has, as it's parent company, the same company that now owns Laidlaw, and thus the Hound.  That's not the reason for this comment - I hate to see any company be maligned when they weren't involved - when they already have enough of their own incidents.

Arthur

8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: