Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 08:14:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Motorhomes and CDLs  (Read 4674 times)
usbusin

'60 PD4104-4355(sold) Now Freightliner Conversion

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2008, 07:09:25 PM »

Just ran across this RV driver training school in Bronson, MO.  I have no connection with them and don't know about them, but someone out there in the PRIVATE sector is providing the training. So, how many are going to sign up?

http://www.rvtrainingschool.com/

Gary D

Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years Ustruckin' is our 2001 Freightliner truck conversion
mikelutestanski

Mikes Metal Mistress

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2008, 07:36:28 PM »

Hello       just today in the latest  FMCA january edition  they post all state motorhome requirements with respect to length ,towing length, speed limits,  etc  Driver license class required and the last column is a reciprocity agreement with the other states as to the acceptance of your license in that state.
     That issue also gives all the 2008 vehicles that are towable.
         happy bussin   mike   

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2008, 07:37:12 PM »

If the reason for signing up is as stated on the website...

"Is driving your recreational vehicle an intimidating experience?
Are you frightened every time you drive your motorhome? 5th wheel? travel trailer?"

...I won't attending.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2008, 07:51:42 PM »

The law here states that with a standard car licence you are not permitted to drive a goods vehicle over 7.5 tons - but neither a bus or a RV are goods vehicles so the limitation doesn't apply - but in all fairness it probably should.

Using the standard car licence you now are not allowed to tow anything which seems a totally unnecesary restriction - if it were based on the length or weight of the trailer then fair enough, but an outright ban seems draconian.

All driving licences here expire at (I think) the age of 75, but if you retake and pass your test you can continue driving. I don't think a 'medical' is required, beyond the standard eyesight test

Jeremy

Ohh.... Then how do you explain "TOP GEAR"....I guess that doesn't count. Some of the antics those guys pull would get them locked up here just for the safety infractions....( See the camping episode )..

Just Kidding....

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2008, 07:56:46 PM »

If your attitude is 'screw you, I'm Ok' it is a sorry reflection on modern society.

I don't think anybody here is saying that.  And even in the larger scope of all people who are against over regulation by the government, I doubt there are even 1 in a 100 with that attitude.

I, and evidently a few others, simply believe that government intervention into private citizens lives is not good for the individual or the whole.  There are better ways to deal with the problem.  I think if convenient and affordable training opportunities were readily available, RV owners would voluntarily take advantage.

... but since they didn't carry insurance and their only asset is their now demolished vehicle there is no compensation for the ones they harmed.

That pretty much demonstrates the ineffectiveness of government intervention since most states (if not all), legally mandate insurance.  Yet there are so many uninsured motorists that the rest of us have to double up and carry "uninsured motorist" coverage as well.

HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2008, 08:16:20 PM »

If the reason for signing up is as stated on the website...

"Is driving your recreational vehicle an intimidating experience?
Are you frightened every time you drive your motorhome? 5th wheel? travel trailer?"

...I won't attending.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

Yup, that is an example of bad marketing.  They will get a few terrified souls to sign up but not most drivers.  The pitch needs to be done from a positive standpoint.  For example:

• Learn to maneuver your rig like a pro!
  • Learn from an expert on how to improve your chances in a panic stop.
  • Be able to impress others with your backing skills.
  • Improve your ability to get in and out of difficult sites.
  • Whatever your experience level, we can help you become better!

Be honest on what is offered, but go for the ego.  It works on everyone from the timid to the macho.

(yes, I used to work in marketing)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 08:17:58 PM by HighTechRedneck » Logged
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2008, 05:06:37 AM »

The law here states that with a standard car licence you are not permitted to drive a goods vehicle over 7.5 tons - but neither a bus or a RV are goods vehicles so the limitation doesn't apply - but in all fairness it probably should.

Using the standard car licence you now are not allowed to tow anything which seems a totally unnecesary restriction - if it were based on the length or weight of the trailer then fair enough, but an outright ban seems draconian.

All driving licences here expire at (I think) the age of 75, but if you retake and pass your test you can continue driving. I don't think a 'medical' is required, beyond the standard eyesight test

Jeremy

Ohh.... Then how do you explain "TOP GEAR"....I guess that doesn't count. Some of the antics those guys pull would get them locked up here just for the safety infractions....( See the camping episode )..

Just Kidding....

I haven't seen the camping episode, but I can imagine what it's like. Top Gear does deliberately try to wind-up the anti-car lobby, and all power to them I say.

Regarding towing specifically, fortunately I (and the TG presenters) am old enough to have a car driving licence issued before the towing restrictions were brought in - and of course you can pass an extra test to get 'towing' added to your licence. Good thing too, as I would guess that 80% of our RV industry is based around towing trailer tents or caravans.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
garhawk

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2008, 05:29:10 AM »

hey folks

most everyone starts out by sayin, "no more regulation".  then purport that drivers ought to be forced to do such and such.  how does that work?

gary t'berry
Eagle Mod 20 DD ser 60 w/slide
GMC RTS 102"  40er (in progress)
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2008, 07:05:57 AM »

I, and evidently a few others, simply believe that government intervention into private citizens lives is not good for the individual or the whole.  There are better ways to deal with the problem.  I think if convenient and affordable training opportunities were readily available, RV owners would voluntarily take advantage.

I agree with this statement to a point.  That point begins when people KNOW they shouldn't / can't drive a particular vehicle safely but still drive it, or  they aren't required to take a course, so they don't.  Sure, they should be held accountable for their actions, but what does that do to correct the loss of life, etc that can occur from their actions? 

Slightly off topic, but related, is boating.  Here in NC, it's regulated as far as required equipment and registration.  I have seen the rudest 'drivers' of all in boats.  They really don't give a rats a$$.  One in particular was a 40-45' cruiser going through Snow's Cut (at Carolina Beach, for any that know the area).  It's full of small fishing boats full of families due to all the rocks on the sides placed to help prevent erosion.  This particular boat was going so fast with such a wake that several small boats washed up onto the large rocks.  I was on my jet ski trying to get away from the wake but was traveling in the same direction as this boat.  Did the person in control of this boat know all the crap he was causing?  Did he care?   Who knows.  Did he have a license to revoke if somebody was lucky enough to get his registration numbers and report him?  No, there is no boating license.  There is no insurance requirement for boats, either.  I don't like govt. intervention in my life, but face it, the few out there who don't know or don't care ruin it for those who try to be good, responsible people.

David
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2008, 07:19:52 AM »

garhawk: It is really quite simple. You let the drunks drive the wrong way on the freeway, without insurance, in a vehicle without brakes and then your children can hire a shyster lawyer to sue for wrongful death.

That way there is no restriction on your right to do what you want!  It is all a matter of how many restrictions are necessary and there is no agreement on that point.
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2008, 07:56:20 AM »

garhawk: It is really quite simple. You let the drunks drive the wrong way on the freeway, without insurance, in a vehicle without brakes and then your children can hire a shyster lawyer to sue for wrongful death.

That way there is no restriction on your right to do what you want!  It is all a matter of how many restrictions are necessary and there is no agreement on that point.

You are certainly right about no agreement   Grin

In your scenario, I think the impaired driver forfeited his rights when he choose to drive impaired. I would forcibly administer a blood test for drugs/alcohol/whatever. If the test came back positive, the driver would be hung on the same highway with a sign noting his crime WITHIN ONE WEEK. No long appeals. No 20 years on death row at taxpayers expense. This would cause two things to happen. Those people who can control their behavior would not engage in risky behavior. Those who could not would soon be dead. Drunk/impaired drivers would soon be an endangered species.

Don't tell me, I already know I am crazy/mean/unfeeling(put your own adjective here)     Grin Grin Grin

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2008, 05:30:37 PM »

oldmansax: I wouldn't call you any of those names since I agree with your statement "I would forcibly administer a blood test for drugs/alcohol/whatever. If the test came back positive, the driver would be hung ....". But then I look at your previous quote "I am against all regulations" so you seem to have trouble agreeing with yourself. Grin
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2008, 06:47:56 PM »

Stan,

We are having fun now!!   Grin Grin Grin

I guess I should be more specific but it is hard to type like I think.  Grin

Absolutely no regulation would mean anarchy. I would not want that. But, with maybe a few exceptions, I would like to see only those laws which hold parties responsible for their actions; meaning anyone does whatever they like UNTIL it affects someone else or someone else's property. When they do, PUNISHMENT (not rehab) would be swift, sure, and severe.

This is way to complicated to debate here but maybe this clears up my views a little.

Now what I REALLY want to know is how do I mount 50 cal. guns in the front of my bus......... Grin Grin Grin Grin

Just Kidding..........

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2008, 07:31:05 PM »

Now what I REALLY want to know is how do I mount 50 cal. guns in the front of my bus......... Grin Grin Grin Grin

Mine's mounted in the spare tire compartment. The bumper flips up on a hydraulic cylinder. I mounted it on a swivel so I could get wide dispersal.

The grenade launchers are behind the flip up headlights.  Roll Eyes

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2008, 08:29:40 PM »

Craig -

You're confusing your MC-9 with a DB-5!

Grin

RJ Long