Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 04:01:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Poll
Question: I keep getting asked why I decided to buy a bus and not an S&S. Of course there are a number of reasons but I have wondered exactly what makes an otherwise reasonably intelligent man (or woman) choose to build a bus?
For the thrill of building my own - 29 (17.2%)
For the safety - 33 (19.5%)
Because S&S are too prone to being made cheaply or otherwise falling apart - 36 (21.3%)
I can do it in steps instead of paying all at once - 35 (20.7%)
I think I had a stroke or was drunk at the time - 7 (4.1%)
Because I'm afraid the wife will toss my can out someday and I need a place to put my junk - 6 (3.6%)
I was already very familiar with buses so it was the natural choice - 9 (5.3%)
Other - please elaborate - 14 (8.3%)
Total Voters: 53

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why did you choose a bus?  (Read 2924 times)
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2008, 08:40:08 PM »

In 1974 I hired on at Brewster Transport's in Banff, Alberta, to drive tour buses in the Canadian Rockies. At that time, we still had a half dozen MCI Courier 96s. When they got sold in '77, I remember thinking how they would make a nice motorhome. 28 years later, I found one that had been converted in '77 and had to have it, and promptly bought it. I have since redone the interior and turboed the DD 4-71. I just love it. It brings back all those memories... My wife and 2 boys have grown to love it too. We use it lots in the summer, camping nearby and on extended long distance trips as well. It has a lot of caracter and draws a lot of attention. It is in excellent condition and is very solid on the highway. Much better than any S&S RV we ever had before.
I also maintain and drive our Junior Hockey team's 102D3, S60, 7 speed manual Eaton/Fuller, which is nice, (so much power!), but I always look forward to the old Courier 96 come Spring...

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2008, 09:01:11 PM »

What self respecting bus driver would be found driving a class "C" motorhome, with the driver's seat jammed up against the steering wheel, with a counter top pressed into the seat back, swaying all over the road in a crosswind, depreciating at a rate faster than a politician can tell a fib, built with chip board and glue, fit/finish a disaster?

If it is to be a low quality piece of junk inside, it might as well be built by me, and have pride of workmanship in that the junk is my doing, not overpaid to someone else, and I can drive my bus any where and anyhow I like?

I may not be done, I may never be done, it may not be very pretty, but I'll be:

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: