Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 07:31:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OT: Top Gear visits Alabama  (Read 1266 times)
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« on: January 10, 2008, 09:53:52 AM »

I didn't want to hijack the CDL thread, but saw several references to Top Gear, and decided to share a short video of the show with you.

For those who don't know, "Top Gear" is a UK television program shown in the US on BBCA, that features the automotive world in a comedic way. 
In 2005 they took their show on the road in the US.   
They were tasked with purchasing cars for under $1000.00 in Florida, and then driving them to New Orleans, Louisiana, filming all along the way. 
See what happens when they get to Alabama!

I lived in that 66 mile stretch of Southern Bama for over 40 years, and am not the least bit surprised at the welcome the Limey's got.

Enjoy, and try not to hurt yourself laughing...  http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/57748/detail/

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 02:08:16 PM »

I have watched Top Gear many times.  Some of the things they do are gut bustingly funny.  The main problem I have with the show is the constant "Yank Bashing".  It gets old after a bit.  They review a lot of cars and never have I heard them say a kind word about one designed for the US.  I am not surprised by what happened though.  When I used to tour on the BMW motorcycle I was told to not go certain places in Alabamastan.  I took their advice.

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
Charles Seaton

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 02:13:10 PM »

I saw that episode.  It was hilarious.
compedgemarine

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 02:52:06 PM »

I agree on the "yank bashing". they insult the folks in Alabama but I bet if you went to england with "the queens a whore" painted on it they would behave even worse. moral is if you are going to poke the bull dont be suprised to get the horn.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 03:17:13 PM »

Geez, the show is aimed at the British viewers...

Poking fun at foreigners is pretty much a given for comedy,

no matter where you're from...!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 03:36:05 PM »

I agree on the "yank bashing". they insult the folks in Alabama but I bet if you went to england with "the queens a whore" painted on it they would behave even worse. moral is if you are going to poke the bull dont be suprised to get the horn.

That is of course to entirely misunderstand the point (or the humour!)

Leaving aside comedy altogether, anti-Americanism ('yank bashing' if you prefer) is very much the default attitude here, and I guess has been ever since you won your independence from British rule - but with the events of the last few years it has undoubtably got much worse. Whether it is just a UK thing or is common across Europe I don't really know.

If it counts for anything, I love American cars, and have owned a number them over the years (currently a Chevy and a Caddy). They have traditionally been designed with a quite different set of priorities in mind than typical European or Japanese cars, which is why enthusiasts like me like them, and other people don't understand them. Absolutely no different than the bus vs RV situation in fact.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 05:44:26 PM »

The UK cars need to be imported to the U.S. some of the driveline systems are very cool and efficient and some of the designs are neat.

They don't give us enough low end diesel cars and trucks here. They keep the prices and nonsense fee's jacked way up so the ones we have are not affordable to most people.

Some of the best UK cars are built by companies like Ford and Chevrolet and we don't get those nicely designed cars here until 5 years later and usually after a design team wrecks the concept.

Oh.. Well.. I like Top Gear... I knew where the story line was headed when the Alabama and New Orleans was mentioned.. I am really surprised they made it out of Florida alive...Especially Miami..

Enjoy....

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 06:25:00 AM »

As an update to my post yesterday, I chanced to hear a programme on the radio this morning entitled 'Why does the British media hate America?' It wasn't a particulary good programme, but if anyone wants to hear it and find the answer to that question it can be accessed from the BBC website - click on the link below, then scroll down to 'The Message'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/progs/listenagain.shtml

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: