Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 02:15:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm confused on what to get...  (Read 2753 times)
TrevorH

Ignore
« on: January 10, 2008, 08:38:27 PM »

First off, I am completly new to this whole thing.  I started off by purchasing a 1990 international school bus with a DT360/allison 545, which I quickly relized wasnt gonna cut it.  I have a budget of about $10k for the shell but could save more if it is in my best interest.  What should I get?  Highway fuel economy is #1, undercarrage storage for conversion to dirt bike compartment is necessary.  I really like the MCI-9's, but thinking maybe hold off for a 102" wide body?  Like the idea of increased fuel economy and less cost of a manual but afraid of resale.  My head is spining and I cant sleep cause I am so excited and yet confused at the same time.  Help my out please!!!!

1987 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 5 spd MT
Tucson, AZ
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 09:19:23 PM »

Your right-hold off for a good 102- that extra 6 inches makes a big difference-I know, since I have a 102.  My suggestion would be a MCI 102C3.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 09:28:33 PM »

Not sure what to tell you.  There are very few coaches taht have the high bay space that would allow you to roll the bikes in with no further modification.

Some of the newer MCI models, but they are way more pricey than $10k.  Prevost H3 model, like I have will do it, but even the older two strokes will cost you $30k for a beater.  The Neoplan skyliner / spaceliner, but they have their own set of problems - age/ parts, lots of custom work.  But really coold buses.  see Sean's websiure and Blog at http://ourodyssey.us/

The newer 4 strokes get better mileage, but not really enough better to warrent spending another $20 or $30k for the shell that has it.

Over the holidays I met a fellow busnut that has an MCI 7, that he put a series 50 into and claims and honest 10 mpg.  pretty cool, but unless you are at a very high level mechanically, it will cost big $ to pay someone else to put one in, and for that you might as well as piad for the newer shell to start with. Those MCI's would also not fill the billl for the dirt bike garage (at least not very easily).

You either need a lot more $ than $10k, or be a mecahnical wizard to get what you are looking for.  Unless you can compromise on the fuel mileage.  after all what is good, and how much is it worth to go from 6 mpg to 8 or 10 mpg - how many miles will you put on it?  

The dirt bike thing, how about a trailer?

Keep us posted as you narrow down your choices.  This sure is a great hobby and there are a lot of nice and interesting people that are hooked on it.

Good luck

Jim

and yes that 102C3 is a great bus, but it won't get better than 6 or 7 mpg, and maybe down in the 5's.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 10:48:30 PM »

Not very long ago I was in your exact position. I weighed options and learned as much as I could for about 2 years before doing anything, I knew absolutely nothing at the beginning and I'm still new and will be for a long long to come.  I'm humbled all the time by what I see, hear and learn in here. There are some really good people and sources of info here.
Of course I wanted a 102 but I knew my budget was more like a MC9 if I could get lucky!  I sat down and made a list one night of what was important to me and what I just felt would be nice. I decided that for me and my current situation any bus regardless of width that was already stripped of seats etc would be a strong plus and if I could beg God for one that had already been raised that would really be great. There is no way I could do that here and with a torn rotator cuff on the mend I couldn't physically do it anyway.
 Windows replaced would be a plus but I just decided that I'd really take whatever platform came my way that was strong and I could afford. The main thing was that I needed something that was a good runner and not rusted or trashed. Most of everything I looked at was trash though!
After a while I had actually pretty much given up on anything at all and was going to bail out and just look into a 5th wheel or something but then out of the blue a decent bus came around and it was even in my home town! It was already stripped, new framing,  raised, new panels, caps and dash (full R&M kit) and the guy who sold it to me was a diesel mechanic and had gone through the engine including new larger injectors. Everything seemed to run alright and the P.O told me that he'd be happy to remain involved with the project and help me with anything he could...and he has, he even gave me spare parts, tools and manuals. The best part was that he REALLY made me a great deal. It was the proverbial "wife doesn't want it around anymore and I've lost interest" type of thing.

The problem (if you'd call it that) was that the bus was an MC8. Well tough, it was a great deal, not a 102 or anything with a new series engine but it's mine and I own it. I didn't have to break the bank for it and I have a little extra money to work on it. Heck, for what I payed I won't cry about fuel prices for a while!

Bottom line is you gotta figure out how much you can spend, how long you're willing to wait for what you want and what you're really willing to accept. Yeah, I'd like a 102, I'd like a Prevost but I got my MC8 and I don't think it was a bad deal for my first bus.
It's your bus...or will be, decide what you can accept and keep looking for it. Great expectations and dreams are nice but it's better to actually get involved and doing!

Sorry for the novel. Tongue Grin

Good luck,

-Dave

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 11:12:24 PM »

Nasty 530 -

We'd love to help you out. . . which way did you come in?? 

(Sorry, very, very bad joke!!)   Roll Eyes

Seriously, what do you want to DO with your coach?  You've got to answer that first, before shell shopping can begin.

For example, if you want to spend time off-road, you're better off with your skoolie.  Highway models do not boonie-bounce very well, are quick to get stuck, and can hi-center easily in that type of use.

Fuel mileage is a moot point when you're talking about a vehicle that has the aerodynamics of a brick trying to be pushed thru the air at 70 mph.  5 - 7 mpg is average normal, regardless of whether it's an automatic or stick.   BTDT.

Biggest & tallest baggage bins are found on the GMC Buffalos (PD4107/4108 (35') and PD4903/4905 (40")), followed by the new Setra 417s and Prevost H3 series.  MCIs are small in comparison.  Even in the Buffalos, you'd still probably have to lower the handlebars to get them in - and you'd have to back 'em in too, in order to clear the center tunnel.  Maybe not, depends on the bike.

If you're worried about resale, it' ain't gonna happen.  The market's VERY depressed right now, with no real signs of recovery - just like real estate.  Easy now to buy a bus, any type, but much harder to sell a mistake.  It is easier to resell an automatic, yes, but that's just it - it's easier.  Doesn't necessarily mean you'll get any money out of it. 

As H3Jim posted, $10K's not going to get you much, altho with this depressed market, anything's possible.  The GM's are in this price range for a shell, a 417 is going to be 30x that amount.

With this depressed market, there are also some VERY good deals on units that are already converted.  Don't overlook those, either. 

You've got to REALLY do your homework on this before you plunk down your cash!!  This is where the Internet will become your friend, real fast.  And I don't mean just shopping for a shell - I mean learning about this whole crazy hobby/lifestyle.  And that's what it is, a lifestyle.

PM me if you want more info off-line.  I spent 25+ years in the bus industry, the majority in Operations Management and Training, so I know a little of what I speak.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

PS:  Please take a minute and edit your profile to include your city and state.  You might find that other busnuts are in your area, plus it helps us guide you to local services.

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 05:51:25 AM »

Nasty530

First post, welcome

Find yourself a cheap RTS. Use the front for a camper and the back door for a bike garage.
They are low enough that you won’t need a ramp for the dirt bikes.
 Shocked

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
cody

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 06:13:31 AM »

Just as a thought you might want to check with Busted Knuckle here on the board, he has a Setra and I've seen the bay height, that  has enough height to roll the bikes into without any problem, he's been running setra's for a while and he likes them. as far as converting, I'm not sure how they are but I know they have a tremendous amount of storage space in the bays and they would be more than tall enough for the bikes.
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 08:18:50 AM »

Russ, my H3 has 44" high bays.  And I do need to turn down the bars for my quad and / or my Harley.

Setra 417 might be a good one to look at too.  Some of the Van Hool models have high bays as well.

Jim Stewart

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 08:30:10 AM »

Hey, a man with a 10,000 budget and telling him to look at a Setra 417 the Mercedes,Cadilac and Lexus of all buses
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 08:39:52 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 08:44:52 AM »

We can dream and after all he has not really said much about what he wants to use it for, what his budget really is etc.  He said he can save more $ if its worth it.  When I was looking, I looked at everything, even stuff I couldn't afford.  In fact, I couldn't afford what I bought, but after a year and a half of looking and agonizing I figured out a way to scare up the $ anyway.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 09:46:45 AM by H3Jim » Logged

Jim Stewart

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 09:43:39 AM »

Nasty530, this a good site for you to look at before buying a bus

http://busforsaleguide.com/bus_prepurchase_checklist.htm     Just click the bus make on the right hand side for info about each bus
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 10:32:34 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 10:17:43 AM »

OK being a lifelong dirtbiker I have some insight here.

I would buy a ADA bus with the wheel chair lift over the drive axle....this would alow you to buld a bulkhead just forward of that and have a nice built in trailer.

In all honesty, depending on your dirt biking travels a trailer and a tow vehicle may be a better option.

feel free to email me at tekebird@yahoo.com  to discuss directly

uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 10:23:01 AM »

Being a lifelong dirt biker i have ended up with a 35 ft. gm [to get into all the places that we race] and a 63 ford econoline van to put two dirt bikes in,also for transportation while at the race. The van pulls better than a trailer. has no load on the bus.

as fast fred says do it my way

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 10:33:45 AM »

You might consider hauling the dirt bikes on a frame mounted rack on the rear of the coach. The reciever hitch, bike haulers can hold quite a load.  The same as reciever hitches.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 11:43:04 AM »

The Eagle's have taller storage bays  ( 36" I believe?)  than the MC9s, and would have a potentially lower cost.   
Trailer idea seems good to me.  I've seen a couple of busses where the back opened up to enable a garage - slick!  Requires good skills or $$$ to do of course.

Best of Luck! Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: