Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 06:19:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm confused on what to get...  (Read 2788 times)
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 01:14:39 PM »

Are the dirt bikes 2-strokes?  If so, just drain the fuel and lay 'em on their sides in a bay (in a way so they don't bank around, of course).  If not, or even if so, I like the idea of a van to put 'em in.  A regular or extended (15 passenger) E250 or 350 van would hold a lot of stuff and not put much tongue weight on the hitch, like Uncle Ned has mentioned.  This is what I'm going to do for my smallish Yamaha Virago.  A drive shaft disconnect such as www.remcotowing.com/drive_shaft.php would prevent transmission damage.  It'd be a good vehicle for getting stuff for the bus if you don't already have a van or truck.  Alternately, would they fit in the back of a 4x4 pickup?  If it has 'N' on the transfer selector, you're all set!  Putting the bikes somewhere other than in the bus itself would give you a LOT more options for bus selection.  $10K should buy you a nice MC-8 or -9.  They're only 96" wide, but unless you've got a lot more cash, want a transit bus, or are going to be living in it, those two are good models.  Parts are readily available and inexpensive for both.

David
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 01:35:51 PM »

Here is another possibility than a trailer.

http://idahotote.com/
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 02:13:44 PM »

Hate to ask this, but here goes.....what is exactly wrong with your Binder Schoolie?  You mentioned dirt bikes....yeah...understand that...we used to run trials bikes years ago.  Your schoolie will go practically anywhere.....our coach type coaches are strickly on-pavement and even there we can get stuck.  Consider what you have now as an "Expedition Motorcoach".

Have you considered just keeping/converting what you have?  How about just getting another larger bike/goodie pull trailer for your International.  Nothing wrong with your drivetrain other than maybe not having a lockup clutch in your 545.  But...then again...maybe you do.  Just get there more slowly and enjoying the trip to and from the boonies.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
TrevorH

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 06:05:54 PM »

My problems with the skoolie are:
1. Not tall enough inside (I'm 6'3" and the roof height is 6'2" before adding insulation etc)
2. Top speed sucks at only 55mph and is pretty much all out of RPM's
3. I plan on spending the time and money to do it right the first time and dont want to put alot of $ into a skoolie that has NO resale.

For an end result I want a fully decked out bus that can last me 15-20 years.  I dont want to spend alot of time and money on one and to later decide that I should have...  I am really mechanical and can build most of what I want.

If I went the route of a 102C3 what kinda cost (realistically) would I be able to find if I stuck with it and waited for the "great deal"?

Again, thanks for all the help for a newbie to the lifestyle and sight...  Thanks everyone

1987 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 5 spd MT
Tucson, AZ
Austin
MC-12

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2008, 05:21:13 AM »

I bought an mc 12 from abc bus for 12,000 a little over 10 but I really like it and am in the conversion stage now
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2008, 05:18:48 PM »

Nasty530

Engine and tranny make a big difference here.  I assume you are ok with a 6 or 8 cylinder 2 stroke.  How about tranny - stick or automatic?  Although I'm not sure if any of the C3's have sticks, as the autos were getting poplular before they came out.  Ask Mike (MAK) who owns this board, he's in the business, and might be able to help you sort this out.  He is always coming acoss good buses.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2008, 05:28:57 PM »

I don't know the guy personally but I've also heard that Bob Tucker out of Marion Arkansas is an honest man and has pretty good deals mostly on MCI's.
From those I've talked to he gets them used and passes them on to others for fair prices and they have been happy with him.

Also heard there was guy in Reno, Nevada?
There is a tour company here in SLC that is going out and they're selling cheap. They sold a seated bus on Ebay for $4k.

Not to steal any of Mikes thunder.......
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 05:30:46 PM by Paladin » Logged

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: