Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 03:02:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Water hose for bus???  (Read 2139 times)
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« on: January 12, 2008, 03:01:26 PM »

Hi folks, am stating to look for parts for the bus.
The water hoses from the motoe to the Radiator have a number on them, 3X37 with no name.  It is a bendable hose to allow for the radiator to swing out.  (Scenicruiser.)
Where would you start looking.
In other words, is there an e-place out here that specializes in hose like this?
Thanks in advane!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 04:12:24 PM »

Hi Jack,

Marine supply stores carry the marine grade hoses that are great for your bus engine.

If you don't have any truck/bus parts houses around, it's the next best thing.

Look at Gooding Rubber, they mfg. almost all diesel hoses..
http://www.goodingrubber.com/product_detail.asp?CategoryID=1&ProductID=54

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 05:13:24 PM »

NAPA should have them in the catalog. I bought some two inch  ones last year so I expect they will have three inch.
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 06:01:03 PM »

Silacone hose is expensive but it lasts forever. As far as sizes, a tape measure will measure the pipe and tell you what size hose to buy. I normally cut all my hoses long enough to use double clamps on both ends, if space allows.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 10:11:59 PM »

Jack, would it be possible to post a picture of the old hose?  I might be able to help based on my previous life (Gates Rubber for 34 years). 

Apparently, the hose must flex quite a bit to allow the radiator to swing out.  I don't think you will find anything is silicone that will work, and you do not need it for our type of usage.

Be really careful with the "corrugated" type automotive hose, as it it really the bottom feeder hose in the market - even from the top manufacturers.  I don't recall that they make that type of hose in the larger truck/bus sizes.

If one of the Scenicruiser folks have inside information, go with it.  Otherwise, be a bit careful about what hose you get.  There is good reason for today's applications to use steel or copper tubing connected with short straight hoses.  A flexible longer hose will need to be quite robust.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
jackhartjr

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 04:25:36 AM »

Hi Jim, here it is, thanks a ton for the information.
The two on it were corrugated, from what I can seee they had to be to be able to allow the radiator to 'swing' out 90 degrees.
Thanks again!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
8V71 Detroit
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 04:28:52 AM »

Jack, that hose is available at any good hose supply  it's still in use for some applications with wire reinforcement,But stay from the automotive type as Jim suggested
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 04:35:28 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
jackhartjr

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 04:43:45 AM »

Thanks makemineatwostroke.  These two (The upper and lower are the same) have a heavy wire (Couldn't break it easily) and are very thick and heavy-duty.
Thanks to all for your help here.
JAck

Jack Hart, CDS
8V71 Detroit
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 05:25:37 AM »

Jack: It might be worth a phone call to MCI Parts. Tell them you need radiator hoses for an MC-7 Combo.
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 09:04:18 AM »

Jack this one stretched me a bit and I had to go the Gates site to see if they made this type of hose in the size you need (looks like it is 3 inch ID).

Gates makes a Green Stripe (premium rubber hose for commercial type applications).  The  the product id is:  46850048  and the .UPC number is: 072053583809.  They don't have a photo, but I am pretty sure that is the hose you want.

The problem is that it comes in 5 foot sticks.  That would suggest you will need two of them.  Have a good credit card in hand.  My guess is that it will be well over $50 (maybe $100) per stick.  It just kills me to buy good hose since I used to get it at a very good price before I retired Sad.

NAPA carries Gates hose and will have access to the product.  It is unlikely that they will have it in stock - even in the local warehouse.  Work with a good counter man and he should have a catalog that will show the picture so that you can confirm that this is the correct hose.

As an added note, Gates and others make hose that looks like this for car engines (to use in place of curved hose) and it is the hose that I called bottom feeder in my previous post.  This is especially true at the first level auto parts places (Checkers, Auto Zone, etc).  They often stock lower quality foreign hose and belts and this is not the place to cut corners.  Also, the folks that work there generally don't have a clue if they can't find a make and model in their computer.  Always go to NAPA, Car Quest, etc. for "critical" parts.  I almost always use NAPA, since they carry first line products and generally have at least one person who is willing to work on my "strange" needs.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 11:53:41 AM »

Jim: The type of hose on a 4501 is an accordion pleated hose that makes a sharp U bend and then a sharp 90 bend onto the radiator. This is the type you refer to a bottom feeder hose and cannot be cut. In a quick search, I found it up to 2 1/2" in 36" length but didn't look any further.
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 12:06:29 PM »

The hose needed for the Scenicruiser must be a Flexible Hose.
On mine both hoses were the same diameter ( I think.. )
Ask Kyle4501 about that. He can give you the right info my measuring
what is on  # 598

Green-Stripe marine hose is not flexible enough for this application.

It has to be flexible enough not to break or twist the fittings that it is attached to on the engine or the radiator ends. So must be long and very flexible. The accordian hose is the proper explanation.

Dave...

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 04:49:14 PM »

Sorry, I was not clear.  The hose I listed is a corrugated hose and will be a good balance of flexibility and durability.  It should look just like the hose in the picture. 

Green Strip is a trade name for lots of different kinds of Gates hose for commercial/truck applications.  We tend to think about Green Strip wrapped hose that is the short connection hose, but you will also find Green Stripe heater hose and lots of other kinds of hose.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 05:01:44 PM »

Jim: Can this corrugated hose be cut and clamped to a fitting? Is it not corrugated on the inside too?
jackhartjr

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 06:30:54 PM »

Stan, the last 3 or so inches on both ends are smooth on the inside and outside to allow hose clamps.  It is amazing how much they have to flex to allow the radiator to swing out 90 degrees.
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
8V71 Detroit
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: