Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 22, 2014, 11:23:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Poll
Question: What is the value of  an auxillary compressor?  (Voting closed: March 02, 2006, 10:21:35 AM)
exit campground quickly - 1 (50%)
More money for compressor company - 0 (0%)
More toys to play with - 1 (50%)
save wear and tear on engine - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 2

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is a poll.  (Read 4538 times)
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« on: February 25, 2006, 10:21:35 AM »

Just trying out a poll.  seeing what it looks like.  What will this look like?

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
Danny

87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 09:20:56 PM »

Exit campground quickly  !!

I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 10:22:11 PM »

POLL,

In case Main comp stopps or leaking???

Winterizing Coach!!

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 04:03:53 AM »

Good point, this was to make up for small air leaks.

Best Regards, Phil

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 04:22:27 AM »

Able to leave campground quicker.  (makes for friendlier neighbors)    Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 05:57:52 AM »

We got ours primarily to be able to air up and leave the campground quickly.

Unfortunately, we bought an oil-less type unit and it is more obnoxious than the bus engine (except no fumes).

I also have the thought that it could supply bus air in an emergency.

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
orogle

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 08:59:51 AM »

polls can be useful

looks good

orogle
Dallas

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 11:50:07 AM »

Anyone who's interested:
Advance Auto Parts sells a 2 HP 4 gallon compressor for $88. It's got an oil sump and seems to do a great job for me.
I have an impact wrench that puts out 700 ft lbs in reverse and didn't have to wait for it to build pressure at all. I removed and installed ALL the lug nuts on all 6 wheels with no problem. Afterward I used my 1" torque wrench and got a reading of 610 lbs.
It is a chinese compressor, but I would swear that it is the same as my old one from Porter Cable. I have them side by side and I can't see a difference in the motor or compressor.
Cool!
Dallas
PD4103-1085
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 05:38:26 PM »

Anyone who's interested:
Advance Auto Parts sells a 2 HP 4 gallon compressor for $88. It's got an oil sump and seems to do a great job for me.
I have an impact wrench that puts out 700 ft lbs in reverse and didn't have to wait for it to build pressure at all. I removed and installed ALL the lug nuts on all 6 wheels with no problem. Afterward I used my 1" torque wrench and got a reading of 610 lbs.
It is a chinese compressor, but I would swear that it is the same as my old one from Porter Cable. I have them side by side and I can't see a difference in the motor or compressor.
Cool!
Dallas
PD4103-1085

Hi Dallas,

Would you classify the compressor as noisy, or quiet?  or ... ?  I'm still looking for a fairly quiet model to use to air up with less noise than running the DD.

Best Regards, Phil

Ed Jewett

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 05:55:40 PM »

First and foremost is to keep the air bags up and the coach level, second for air tools and third for quiet campground exits.

Ed
Dallas

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 06:10:21 PM »

Anyone who's interested:
Cool!
Dallas
PD4103-1085

Richard,
This is a pretty quiet compressor and only take about 45 seconds to one minute to fill the 4 gallon tanks.
It's built by Mech Power and is pretty tight.
So tight in fact, I had to drop the pressure a few times to get the motor to turn. The piston was that tight.
I've used it hard for about a week and a half and it starts on it's own now. It will also sit for two days or more without losing pressure.
The crankcase holds about a cup and a hlf of oil.
Even though it's direct drive, It still seems pretty tough. We'll see in a month or two.
BTB, Advance also sells another compressor for about $10 less.. it's also a direct drive but hasn't got an oil filled crankcase.
IHTH
Dallas

Hi Dallas,

Would you classify the compressor as noisy, or quiet?  or ... ?  I'm still looking for a fairly quiet model to use to air up with less noise than running the DD.

Best Regards, Phil

gus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 10:08:58 PM »

My 12v oiless is noisy but a different kind of noise than a 671, and no smoke. Good for topping off tires and leaking air bags. It is actually easier than stringing a lot of air hose from a fitting to a far corner tire,

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 10:36:18 PM »

I also seem to remember something mentioned about a tankless air compressor - as there is no reason to have a tank on the compressor since the bus is full of tanks.   Now if I could find a tankless, quiet compressor, I would be set.

Best Regards, Phil

akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 11:25:10 AM »

I have a compressor in the bay and another in the trailer.
Wouldn't be without them.
Used the one in the bay once to help a friend who's air governor stopped working. Ran his generator to power the compressor and hooked the air hose to a bus air line. Kept him aired up from Las Cruces, NM to central Florida. Didn't have to troubleshoot the no air problem until he got home.

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: