Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 03, 2014, 12:01:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uses for center tunnel  (Read 1362 times)
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« on: January 16, 2008, 07:53:49 PM »

Ok, so in trying to make sure that I plan for as many things as possible before I lay down my subfloor, what uses can everyone think of for the center tunnel? How can I best utilize that space? What should be run, laid or hidden in there?

-Dave

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
Ray D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 08:18:39 PM »

If your'e going to Mexico, I have an idea!!!

Ray D
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 09:08:19 PM »

I ran my propane main feed pipe down the tunnel. I also ran a bunch more wires for campground levelers and other things ... 1/4" airline for turbo boost guage. I also insulated under the floor with 1" ridged before I put the new floor down.
Ron
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 05:35:00 AM »

Maybe 2-3 2" conduit for future use. Sometime later, you may want to run a line for an air throttle, lines and/or wires for a leveling system, additional gauge senders, additional lights, etc. Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 06:46:36 AM »

Yep, planned for several lines of conduit for future runs as needed to/from the engine and bay areas, 110,12v etc.....
Planning on a separate conduit for air throttle. Ran lines for fuel sender across....
Didn't think of running propane though.

Any more ideas? How about Hvac?

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 07:20:11 AM »

I would be a little leary of running propane lines there.  Straight pipe is one thing, but no fittings of any kind, not even couplings.  Make them all readily accessible for testing.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 08:32:43 AM »

After having the propane line run into a new house that i built, we thought we could smell gas in the basement. We called the contractor who came out with the sniffer and found a tiny pin hole leak in the copper tubing! He said he had never seen it himself but had heard about that happening. So before you close it all up, you might want to have the line pressure tested.

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 09:03:39 AM »

I ran 1/2 soft copper pipe with a "T" silver soldered on the end and reduceed down to 3/8, one goes to the sideout barbeque in the basement and the other goes to the cooktop in the kitchen. This was done by a licence gas fitter and tested for 24 hrs

I bought a 5/8 ID water hose and slid the 1/2 copper line inside the water hose and clamped it every 4 ft in the tunnel.

Ron
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 10:07:43 AM »

Any more ideas? How about Hvac?
Well, the tunnel in my bus used to suck air (a return); now it just blows air.  It was the easiest way I could find to get some of the OTR heat and air to the back.  The system is just too strong and noisy to blow freely into the front half of the bus.  It seems to work well.  We'll see how it does with a furnace of some sort soon.

David
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 12:01:55 PM »

I use the tunnel for return air to my basement air, and my bus air is still intact.

However, I did install the lines for my engine preheat system in there, and I've snaked an air line through there recently for my leveling system. In hindsite, I wish I had put some smurf tube in there.

In the planning, I had a few other ideas for this area, before I decided to keep the bus air.

One idea was to put my water tanks in there. I was considering building them out of 4 or 6 inch PVC pipe and installing them in parallel in the tunnel. Also considered welding custom fitted tanks for that area. Connecting them together to allow for out of level use became a nightmare, though. Venting was an issue, also.

Another idea was to build a slide system in there with baskets for an under floor pantry. The baskets would slide along a track forward and aft of an access hole. If you put the access hole in the center of the bus, you could get about 15 feet of basket space. You might get more if you had 3 access holes. It's deep enough you could put all your canned goods down there, or possibly use it for clothing (socks and underwear) with access from the bedroom area.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 02:23:51 PM »

I use the tunnel for return air to my basement air, and my bus air is still intact.

However, I did install the lines for my engine preheat system in there, and I've snaked an air line through there recently for my leveling system. In hindsite, I wish I had put some smurf tube in there.

In the planning, I had a few other ideas for this area, before I decided to keep the bus air.

One idea was to put my water tanks in there. I was considering building them out of 4 or 6 inch PVC pipe and installing them in parallel in the tunnel. Also considered welding custom fitted tanks for that area. Connecting them together to allow for out of level use became a nightmare, though. Venting was an issue, also.

Another idea was to build a slide system in there with baskets for an under floor pantry. The baskets would slide along a track forward and aft of an access hole. If you put the access hole in the center of the bus, you could get about 15 feet of basket space. You might get more if you had 3 access holes. It's deep enough you could put all your canned goods down there, or possibly use it for clothing (socks and underwear) with access from the bedroom area.

Now, that's thinking inside the box  Smiley

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: