Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 20, 2014, 11:37:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: honda generator  (Read 1201 times)
4106-123

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2008, 09:39:25 PM »

just purchased a used honda ev6010 have not received it yet but was wondering if its a good unit? i understand is a quiet running unit any known issues to look for? ive got a onan emerald plus in now and it seems to be loud even with no load.thanks george
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 11:42:32 PM »

You'll find a big difference in the Honda.  Even though the Honda runs at 3600rpm compared to the 1800 of the Onan, it is quieter since it is water cooled.  Put it in a insulated cabinet with a quiet muffler and you'll barely know it is there. 
Anything is better than an Onan-especially a Honda (for gasoline powered units).  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 07:22:53 AM »

I've got the EV6010. I use it very little so have not had  problems with it. Mine is in a sound box which I built for the diesel so it is very quiet.
 You can go to the Honda site and download the owner and instalation manuals

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 07:59:13 AM »

Let me know how it work out for you.  The EV 6010 is one that I have been looking to buy.  It is in my price range and everything I have that is made by Honda has rarely failed me.

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
gus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 07:14:53 PM »

I installed my 6010 in my 4104 just a year ago. We have made four long trips with it and I can only say it is excellent. What else would you expect from Honda?

This makes one nice installation, quiet and NO vibration. After all I had read about 3600rpm generators I thought this would be noisy but it is less than half the noise of my old 1800 rpm air cooled Onan.

The only problem I ever had was one time it wouldn't start. I had accidentally placed the fuel line service loop above the inlet at the gen and it was causing an air bubble at the top of the loop.

Lowering the service loop cured the problem.

I know there are very few of these installed in buses so if you want any installation details or photos feel free to email me with "Honda Gen" as the subject. Some of the instructions are a bit confusing.

Pay especially close attention to the dimensions for air flow into the unit. I made my box of plywood with fireproof lining. I figured plywood would be quieter than a metal box.

I made all sides, the rear and the top easily removable - held on by cinch clips.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: