Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 08:46:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: P8M4904A #724 lots and lots of ???? and a long post  (Read 4151 times)
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2008, 11:00:26 PM »

After skimming the posts I didnít see how much you were willing to pay for it. I hope you can become knowledgeable about what you would be getting into with that bus. GM busses bring little to nothing, even ones that are in great shape. My father is looking at a very nice 4106 in CA that is converted, ready to roll, and the asking price is $13k OBO (v730, jakes, pwr steering, solar, etc).  There is no way you can build anything, or repair anything close to that. And thatís not all; I am finding those deals more and more often. I know of another 4106 V730 conversion that has been overheated, but is being repaired in a shop, that will have the same asking price. I know you are looking for a 40í bus and I donít follow them like I do what I own, but my point is that you can probably buy an already done, drivable 4905, a lot cheaper than what you will have in the one you are looking at. There are other problems associated with an old GM bus. It takes the same amount of money and time to convert or fix it as it would an MCI. But after sinking thousands of dollars into a GM you have a bus that at the top end would bring $25k (anyone recall the nice one GMbusguy had for sale? $27,500). However the MCI could bring double that. There have been articles in BC magazine covering this topic and others here can explain it better than I can. After reading how tight money is for you and your family right now I would hate to see you get stuck with something that would be such a financial burden as that bus could easily be. If itís not ready to roll then I wouldnít pay more than scrap price period. Everyday there are people starting to dump nice machines on the market for less than what it cost to buy an inexpensive pull-behind trailer. Everyone here knows how much I love a GM, but it would be irresponsible for any of us not to point out the negatives to you and your familyÖÖHTH

Laryn
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 09:40:51 PM by Barn Owl » Logged

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2008, 08:09:51 AM »

Mike -

It's very easy to buy a bus. . .   Smiley

But it's far more difficult to sell a mistake. . .  Cry   Cry   Cry

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
mike davis

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2008, 09:31:22 AM »

After skimming the posts I didnít see how much you were willing to pay for it. I hope you can become knowledgeable about what you would be getting into with that bus. GM busses bring little to nothing, even ones that are in great shape. My father is looking at a very nice 4106 in CA that is converted, ready to roll, and the asking price is $13k OBO (v730, jakes, pwr steering, solar, etc).  There is no way you can build anything, or repair anything close to that. And thatís not all; I am finding those deals more and more often. I know of another 4106 V730 conversion that has been overheated, but is being repaired in a shop, that will have the same asking price. I know you are looking for a 40í bus and I donít follow them like I do what I own, but my point is that you can probably buy an already done, drivable 4905, a lot cheaper than what you will have in the one you are looking at. There are other problems associated with an old GM bus. It takes the same amount of money and time to convert or fix it as it would an MCI. But after sinking thousands of dollars into a GM you have a bus that at the top end would bring $25k (anyone recall the nice one GMbusguy had for sale? $27,500). However the MCI could bring double that. There have been articles in BC magazine covering this topic and others here can explain it better than I can. After reading how tight money is for you and your family right now I would hate to see you get stuck with something that would be such a financial burden as that bus could easily be. If itís not ready to roll then I wouldnít pay more that scrap price period. Everyday there are people starting to dump nice machines on the market for less than what it cost to buy an inexpensive pull-behind trailer. Everyone here knows how much I love a GM, but it would be irresponsible for any of us not to point out the negatives to you and your familyÖÖHTH

Laryn

Laryn

do you know what the scrap price is for one of these? I love GMC but I'm don't Haft to have a GMC

right now the price of this bus is $4000 If it starts ,runs and airs up some where around $2000 down (tax refund)  and the remaining within 90 days The bus can stay where it is at It is much better for me if it stayed there and I can work on it  Town is 2mi away there rather than 20mi one way my house

I'm trying to be careful and keep my eyes open Also keep looking for a better bus

thanks

mike
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2008, 08:49:18 PM »

Mike,

Prices for aluminum change so much I donít know how to give you a good number, but there was a running, gutted 4905 conversion, that sold not too long ago for ~$1500. The owner said thatís what he could get for it if he scrapped it.  Figure whatever ďdirty aluminumĒ is selling for a pound and subtract transportation cost. With that being said, even if someone gave you a decent GM shell for free, you can still get upside down with it really quick. I think you can do better by finding a turn key GM conversion. Look at all of the busses on eBay and what the highest bids are (not that much). They are only worth what someone is willing to pay.  I think that if the economy does as poorly as some are predicting you will either find a good deal, or you will thank your lucky stars you didnít jump on one.  With time and the economic situation on your side, you as a buyer need to take advantage of it, and do some seriously intense research. That way you will know a good deal when you see it. We have some things in common, I am not one of the retired busnuts, I work, my children are still at home (six, spread from 17yrs to 4yrs) and I am not independently wealthy.  If you want to talk you can message me with your phone number and I will help anyway I can. A book could easily be written on this subject. Your bus is out there, it just needs to be found.

Laryn
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 09:39:25 PM by Barn Owl » Logged

Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2008, 05:50:52 AM »

Barn Owl and Mike,
That $1500 4905 was my old one that Larry Baker picked up in hopes of re-selling/keeping it out of the scrapyard.  He still has it.

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
mike davis

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2008, 12:42:22 PM »

Mike,

Prices for aluminum change so much I donít know how to give you a good number, but there was a running, gutted 4905 conversion, that sold not too long ago for ~$1500. The owner said thatís what he could get for it if he scrapped it.  Figure whatever ďdirty aluminumĒ is selling for a pound and subtract transportation cost. With that being said, even if someone gave you a decent GM shell for free, you can still get upside down with it really quick. I think you can do better by finding a turn key GM conversion. Look at all of the busses on eBay and what the highest bids are (not that much). They are only worth what someone is willing to pay.  I think that if the economy does as poorly as some are predicting you will either find a good deal, or you will thank your lucky stars you didnít jump on one.  With time and the economic situation on your side, you as a buyer need to take advantage of it, and do some seriously intense research. That way you will know a good deal when you see it. We have some things in common, I am not one of the retired busnuts, I work, my children are still at home (six, spread from 17yrs to 4yrs) and I am not independently wealthy.  If you want to talk you can message me with your phone number and I will help anyway I can. A book could easily be written on this subject. Your bus is out there, it just needs to be found.

Laryn

I dont haft to PM you

anyone want to talk buses my phone is 572-372-6956

what is the worst that can happen? Someone call me an S.O.B. My stepmother has been trying since I was 8 to convince me that is my middle name.

I'll also figer  out how tho send it in a message  I do aprigate ( I messed the spelling up in that word stumped the spell CK.) the offer

mike 
TrevorH

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2008, 05:12:46 PM »

After reading all the posts, it appears as though they are trying to help you out Mike.  By your last post you kind seem like your throwing it in their face.  Not very nice considering YOU went to them asking for help and guidance.  Just my 2 cents and I could be way off so take this with face value....  Back to it!!!

1987 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 5 spd MT
Tucson, AZ
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2008, 08:25:56 PM »

When I first read it I admit I had to do a little head scratching at first, but after a re-read, I think I figured out what he was trying to say.  I think he is OK with having his phone number public, and that the consequences of having it that way are not something he couldnít handle. And anyone who wants to talk busses is welcome to call and do so. Also, the messaging is something he hasnít done yet, so it needs to be figured out.  Lastly, he appreciates the help. If Iím wrong let me know, but thatís my take on it.  Smiley

Laryn

tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2008, 01:12:31 AM »

took me a re-read too. but that is the way I read it
mike davis

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2008, 04:36:40 AM »

took me a re-read too. but that is the way I read it

tekebird
                thank you

yes that is what I meant.
 My wife types for me most of the time because I'm so bad at it Plus a few glasses of wine last night did not help my keyboard skills. Witch are not good to start with
 I don't care about my phone# being in public  My name is one of the most common names in the US. Get stop by the cops with me for a burned out tail light in CA  on my bus sometime The first 10 mins. are fun
                              It was one of those days yesterday

sorry if i P.O. anyone

mike   
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2008, 09:29:15 PM »

Anyone notice this in the BCM classifieds? I know this is only a 4106, and I donít know what the inside looks like, but it looks good on the outside. Nice awning, Sheppard steering, spring brakes, air throttle, and possibly more. And $10k OBO! GMís are selling for pennies-on-the-dollar. You cannot buy a decent large used pop-up for that price.

Link:

http://busconversions.com/class_htm/62gmc4106.htm

« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 09:32:29 PM by Barn Owl » Logged

Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2008, 09:49:37 PM »

Mike,

I donít know if you are looking at 40í busses exclusively, but my family, two adults six children, have no problems with the 35í length. In fact you have access to many, many more places with a 35í lower profile bus than you would with anything larger. And keep in mind that the 4106 is considered the ďsports car of bussesĒ. It has the advantage of being lightweight, 8v71 power, and decent fuel economy for a bus. And, as if I havenít mentioned it before, the prices are getting incredibly affordable. Also, if you wanted, you could convert it to a V730 auto transmission in the future. Just throwing that out there; giving you something to think about......HTH

Laryn

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: