Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 06:21:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What type of charger to maintain starting batteries?  (Read 1791 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2008, 05:51:29 AM »

I keep having problems with my starting batteries losing charge during the winter, especially with the DDEC, WTEC, and other things constantly drawing power.  The batteries appear to have lost enough charge this winter to have frozen as the cases are bulged.

What type of charger would be best to maintain the batteries, but not overcharge them?  I believe a three stage charger is only for deep cycle batteries.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 06:31:33 AM »

Hi Brian,

Have you checked into a solar panel or two combined to maintain 24v??

That would be all you need just to keep the ddec from draining you.

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 06:34:44 AM »

I think any trickle charger would do.  

I have solar panels with the Blue Sky controller. When its done charging the house batteries, it puts a 2 amp trickle charge to the start batteries, so they are always up.  I think it makes a battery last longer to always have it fully charged.  

I guess I'm lucky to not have to deal with freezing temps, a frozen battery does not sound good.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 07:01:50 AM »

I thought you had a charger in your inverter?  Why don't you put in a crossover switch and combine the two banks and float them along with your house bank?

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
skihor

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 07:27:09 AM »

I installed a 24V 2AMP 3 stage charger for my start batts. Between cold weather and inactivity, during the winter months, I've had to replace them every 2 years. I never have to worry about them now and it's such a low charge rate I don't have to worry about checking the water level as often either. I think I paid $48 for the unit. MFG by Shauer. http://www.chargingchargers.com/chargers/24volt.html

Don & Sheila
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 07:29:53 AM »

Brian, i have not heard that a smart charger is only for deep cycle batteries. I use a Progressive Dynamics charger that has 4 stages if you count the desulfation mode. Made in the USA and available on eplace at a very decent price.

I have a solenoid to link start batteries to house batteries for OTR charging, and this is how i leave it parked so all batteries are maintained. While boondocking i unlink them and all of the charger output goes into the house batteries.

Not sure how well those solar cells will work with a couple feet of snow on top of them!

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 07:45:49 AM »

All the descriptions on the web for three stage chargers only mention deep cycle batteries.  Maybe they will work for starting batteries.

My inverter is pretty far from the starting batteries and I think a seperate battery charger for the starting batteries might be easier.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 07:58:29 AM »

Hi Brian,

This might be what you are looking for
http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/24-volt/0-4amps/PT24v022-0158.html

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 10:03:47 AM »

although the solar panels are a good idea I think where Brian is the snow cover might be an issue.

you can get a 70.00 charger from sears that is smart to the point it will turn itself off and on at whatever rate you set.

Best option would be a main battery cutoff switch
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 12:20:48 PM »

I installed this unit from the same supplier Nick listed and have been very happy with it.
http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/24-volt/5-9amps/CT-500-1.html
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 01:37:23 PM »

My Crown Super Coach has the usual two (2) 8D starting batteries and I have found that about 1 amp @ 12 vdc is enough to keep the volt gage at around 13 VDC with the usual bugler alarm system, air door remote, LEDs, etc.. 12 volt system.  Be sure to check the water level about every month or soosss.  I didn't (also left the charger on "high") and it $cost$ me two (2) new batteries. $Ouch$.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 02:09:28 PM »

There is a main disconnect switch, but the radio, overhead clock for passengers, DDEC, and WTEC don't seem to get disconnected.

gus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 02:15:34 PM »

My favorite charger is the Battery Tender. I don't think it comes in 24v so you would have to charge each battery separately which is what I do. I've tried many and this one is the best for the price.

I once had a frozen aircraft battery which I thawed out inside the office, recharged and went on my way. Don't try to charge it while it is frozen.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 05:01:46 PM »

If you're plugged in and floating your house batteries, and all you want to do is keep the starting batteries up, a 10 or 12 ga wire between the two will do that. Just make sure you disconnect it before starting the bus, or using heavy DC loads on the house side.

Simple and easy. Also inexpensive.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Ray D

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 06:05:55 PM »

Here is the battery tender site and they do make a 24V unit.  You do not want a battery charger to maintain your charge, you want a unit that maintains the battery, and they have it.  You can get a 12V battery maintainer from Wally World also.

http://www.batterytender.com/connecting.php

Ray D
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: