Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 06:46:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What type of charger to maintain starting batteries?  (Read 1793 times)
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 06:46:46 PM »

Great information, and thanks to Brian for starting the topic.  We keep the 4107 (12 volt) in a storage area, and I'm not paying more for one of the few sites with power.  I haven't had the coach out in a while, so I know the batteries are dead.  I plan to replace all the batteries this spring, since I don't know how old the current set are (2 8D's for the 8V71, and 1 8D for the generator).

Solar sure looks to be the way to go.  I looked at the website mentioned above, and when I saw the solar chargers they talked about placing them on the dashboard and plugging into the cigarette lighter.  I always pull my battery switches, so that specific isn't real appealing - plus what I read deals with cars, not larger vehicles.

I'd be interested in more experience/suggestions regarding a solar option.  While we don't get much snow in Dallas, we do get hail; so I'd rather not have anything breakable on the roof - but something I could put in either a side window (but how about tint/translucency issues), or the dash/driver side window would seem to be the best.

Thanks in advance.

Arthur
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 07:39:47 AM by Runcutter » Logged

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 11:50:24 PM »

Arthur,
You are ahead of me. I agree with the solar cells in the manner in which you suggested. Years ago, I was in partnership of a plane which was parked outside and the easiest way to charge was a panel in the window. I was always amazed at the voltage achieved with little direct sunlight. (Don't Take much to impress me, just a W.Va. Boy)
Granted the 8D's are much larger, but the solar panel low amperage will protect from over charging and is just what is needed to offset the parasitic draw, DDEC etc. No ext. cords, charger on, charger off, cooked batts.

It worked great for me. I am thinking of it for my bus, as not using it as much in the winter months...

Good Luck,
Gary Pasternak

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
gus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 01:18:26 PM »

I assume by generator battery you mean this is your house battery? If not, that is a very large battery just to start a generator.

If you're replacing batteries you might want to consider using Group 31s which a lot of us have done. They will do the job under almost all circumstances and sure are a lot easier to handle. I have two for each bank in my 4104 and have been very happy with them. All four fit into the original battery bay intended for two 8Ds and there is room for at least one more there. The two house 31s are deep cycle but the same size.

Ray,

The Battery Tenders I have are both chargers and maintainers.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: