Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 11:28:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: using speakers for tv and radio  (Read 1261 times)
johns4104

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2008, 02:49:54 PM »

Just wondering if anyone is using the radio/CD player speakers for there TV also.
I know we have the whole impedance thing to consider but how many speakers do I want in my coach??
I could use some type of toggle switch or something.
I am also thinking of a headset plug for the TV so passengers can watch while I listen to the radio and drive.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
John

PD4104-1859
In Sunny Arizona
Apache Junction Near Phoenix
TrevorH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 02:56:11 PM »

It all depends on what you want to accomplish.  This is one of few topics I have seen on here that I can speak knowledgeably about.  What kind of stereo setup do you have?  Any amps?  How many speakers are in the coach and where are they in relation to the coach and the TV moniters (a simple drawing would be nice)?  How elaborate do you want to go?

1987 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 5 spd MT
Tucson, AZ
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 04:54:33 PM »

I am glad that someone brought this up. I have also wondered if I can use the radio as a amplifier ( usually the radios have 30 or so watts per channel) and then feed the speakers spread around the coach with that power. What I can't figure out is how to get the "out" from the TV to the "into" of the radio.

I use my converter to power that side of the 12 volts when parked so I can run the radio endlessly as long as plugged in or on the gen set.

Let's put that into the equation.

Dave Siegel

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
TrevorH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 05:10:11 PM »

Depending on what kind of head unit you have on your coach the input would vary.  The cleanest way with the best sound quality would be using RCA's.  You would run your audio cables from your sound source (tv, cable, sat., whatever sound you wanted to come through the stereo) into the audio in on the back of your head unit.  Not all head units have this options.  If yours did not, you could use an FM modulator.  If this is the route you had to go, you definitely dont want to cheap out on the modulator as inexpensive ones offer poor sound quality.  Most are adjustable so you can tune them to a frequency that doesnt interfer with a radio station.  If you are using amps there are yet more possibilities

Tucson, AZ
johns4104

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 05:30:29 PM »

Nasty530,
I did not think about using a radio/tuner with the RCA inputs that is a good Idea.
As far as the system goes I don't plan on going high end but some where in the middle.
It seems that these days the heads put out enough power and it is fairly clean (for me anyway)
that I would not have to add amps.
Or the other thought would be to use a simple surround system and run the radio through it using the preamp rca's
I haven't bought anything yet but the surround sound sys.  would usually include a subwoofer.

John

PD4104-1859
In Sunny Arizona
Apache Junction Near Phoenix
TrevorH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 06:43:24 PM »

Yes if you wanted to, most surround sound systems will have an RCA in and out so you could run two leads to your head unit.  Which most will have an RCA in and out aswell.  This would allow you to play your radio over your bus speakers and your surround, aswell as running your movie through both the surround and the bus.  If that makes any sense.  As you start to narrow down what all you want it to do, and what you want to spend, let me know.  I have done a ton of car and home audio and video setups and would be happy to recommend some different products depeding on what your listening habits are.

Tucson, AZ
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 07:30:35 PM »

I use a home theater reciever with surround sound.  plug the tv in, and voila - surround sound.  Use the radio, works great, plug in my Ipod, have my entire library at my fingertips, Plug in my laptop, same thing.  When the bus is running, the bus alternator charges the house batteries too which power my inverter so   no worries about power.  parked, same thing, although I use solar or my generator.  Gnerally unless I run it all day and night the solar is enough to run it all.

All the connections are made using rca jacks, or converter pigtail to convert 1/8" stereo plug to RCA. 

The reciever (radio, volume) has a remote control as does the tv, so I can control from any line of sight location.  The units are right behind the driver.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 05:55:35 AM »

Since Nasty530 seems to know what I am talking about, maybe you can offer a few suggestions for those "head Units" you talk about. I understand that they are the tuner that fits in the dash. Also my tuner does not have any extra plug in's so I will have to get another "head" to accomplish what I want to do. That where I could take some advice. I don't have a lot of spare money so top of the line is not even considered.

I could care less about satallite radio but maybe HD radio might be of interest?

Dave Siegel

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 06:13:23 AM »

Yes, I set up my TV to send the sound through the "car stereo", and it works very well.  The TV is only a 17" LCD flat screen and it just doesn't fill the bus with sound the way the stereo system and four speakers does.  I have a Sony head unit with 4 Polk speakers and it does a very nice job without costing an arm and a leg.

The most interesting part is a separate box called the XA-C40, which is Sony's external source selector.  (Google it)  It provides a separate location to tie in and control, external inputs.  RCA jacks, headphone output, and even a USB connection.  When I am using my laptop with it's GPS software I can also tie that in so that the spoken turn instructions come throuigh the stereo speakers.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 07:46:40 AM »

Dave, get a newer TV that has audio out jacks in the back.  Alternatively, if you want preamp out, an electronics guy can tap into the circuits right where the volume control POT is, as thats always the point between the TV pre amp and amp.  then its just a matter of plugging into the extra jacks into your radio / head unit.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 07:49:35 AM by H3Jim » Logged

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: