Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 12:44:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8V-71 starts and then dies, after winter  (Read 3754 times)
gears80

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2006, 10:14:24 PM »

Well> I checked the coolant level (full), the oil (full). The skinner valve clicks when the power is turned on. I think it is ok. I disconnected the air line to the engine shutoff and it idles great. Soon as I open the throttle, black smoke. The solenoid that opens what appears to be a butterfly on top of the blower doesn't work or move. Shouldn't that open to let air in when the throttle is pressed. This must be in some kind of shutdown mode. Any ideas. thanks
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006, 04:01:07 AM »

That solenoid on top of the blower is the emerancy engine stop. It controls a "trap door" that is spring loaded and drops down to close the air intake. The fitting on the end of the "trap door" pivot shaft has a small pin sticking out of it. Try grabbing this pin and twisting the shaft to reset it. The solenoid does not actually move the trap door, but simply releases a latch to allow the spring to close the door. Hope this helps, Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
gears80

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2006, 05:23:33 PM »

Yep. It was the trap door. I reset it and it runs good. I still have the problem with engine shut down solenoid. I am sure I can trace it down. Thanks for all the help. I couldn't have done it without this board.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2006, 07:19:47 PM »

Forgot about the estop flap. You must have hit the switch at some point while messing with the other problem. Good. Now you know how to reset it  Cheesy

Let us know what you find on the shutdown.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: