Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 06:59:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats this worth?  (Read 2540 times)
TrevorH

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2008, 06:24:49 PM »

I can buy a wreaked 1992 Semi.  It has a 60 series Detroit 430/470 hp, 9 speed manual, approx 800k miles.  Everything runs and drives, the semi was laid on its side.  No frame damage etc.  Whats something like this worth?

1987 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 5 spd MT
Tucson, AZ
dparker

mc 7 in progress

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 07:19:15 PM »

FWIW -- you could buy that same deal not wrecked 6-12K dependant on stuff like appearance - tires - etc -- i know that that engine rebuild starts around that mileage and I have heard of them making 1.2M -- i would guess 2-5K -- alum wheels used about 200 each -- if it has 10 that could be your whole deal and you would get engine trans for taking stuff apart -- if the tires are decent you can 50-100 for them as well --

david

1972 MC7

Parker Systems, LLC
800 8 PARKER
TrevorH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 07:21:09 PM »

The tires are just enough to get it to my house, maybe.  I can buy it for $2k. 

Tucson, AZ
dparker

mc 7 in progress

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 07:37:35 PM »

i have that engine in a 2001 international 9400 (road tractor) (600,000 miles) with a eaton 10 speed -- will run off an leave my 2007 isx cummings 600 HP with same trans.... 80,000 lbs -- the computer stops her at 82 mph and the hills aroung north ga rarely get her out 10th -- if drives and shifts well and you are looking to repower i believe that is a deal --

1972 MC7

Parker Systems, LLC
800 8 PARKER
edroelle

1998 Royale Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 08:57:50 AM »

"Runs and drives", but was there engine damage ?  If it laid on its side, I would be concerned that some of the engine was starved for oil.

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 11:19:38 AM »

With the Series 60, if the engine was still running when it went over, most likely it shut itself off when the oil pressure went by-by.  But- I would still pull the pan and look at the bearings-possibly just replace them anyway-cheap insurance.  I would think, around $5k would be a good price.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Dallas

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 12:02:54 PM »

Nasty,

Sure would be nice if you gave us another name, but that's your choice...

As for this crash victim, with crap tires, 800K on the engine probably a 14609 RR transmission. It sounds like it was a company truck.

I wouldn't give more than $500 - $1,000 for it.

It's a 1992, which means the DDEC probably isn't wonderfully set up... it is a dual HP setup, 430/470? I would believe it to be more than likely a 370/430 which was a very popular setup for companies at that time. O/O's don't give a crap about lower HP/ higher HP... They figure they can do as well or better than the factory setup.

As a O/O truck, it wouldn't have had a 9 speed.. that's for the school book drivers that learned in 3 weeks or less. Not to say it's a bad transmission, but as an O/O from way back, I wouldn't have been able to move the heavy loads I did with that setup.

You don't mention what brand this unit is, which could make a big difference in value.. a 1992 IH 9700 is worth a bunch less than a 1992 KW W900.

What rear ends does this thing have? Is it built for off road use, like you stated previously that you needed? Is it air ride?

If you are really interested in using a tractor as a donor to be a long frame conversion, I can point you at 3 that are less than $1500 each and are still going up and down the road everyday.

Jeez, I even know where you can buy a running Volvo/White (I think) with a Cummins 350 BCIII, 13 spd. deep under, 3.73:1 rear gears, 24.5 rubber, large daycab, and I believe it has a 260" WB. Total cost would be less than $1500 and it comes with a spare parts chassis.

Don't get in a hurry to spend your money... if you want to do that, send me $4,500 and I'll put you into an old PD4103 set up to run.

Dallas

TrevorH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 05:27:43 PM »

"1992 FREIGHTLINER 430/470 DETROIT 60 SERIES,9 SPEED,800,000 ON DRIVETRAIN CAB SMASHED ON ONE SIDE, LOOKING TO SELL COMPLETE TRUCK"  This is the description that is on it.  Here is a pic

Tucson, AZ
dparker

mc 7 in progress

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 06:34:41 PM »

mr. Nasty,

I believe that Mr. Dallas is right on point -- my 2K could be bit high --

And to Dallas's point I had assumed re-power ... if you wanted to build one of those stretch deals i am sure that there are better starting units - like the kind that does not have the whole side of the cab smashed in ...

The series 60's that i have in my road tractors are all 2001 models or newer so my experience is 10 years old as it relates to this engine -- i bet the first guy with 8 or 10 one hundred dollar bills will get the opportunity to take this unit home --

1972 MC7

Parker Systems, LLC
800 8 PARKER
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 07:19:59 PM »

I dunno guys.  Looks like a deal to me.  Consider what an S60 core is worth.  And that engine is running.  Rollover wouldn't hurt the unit...it's RPM limited and low oil pressure shutdown would have stopped it before any damage was done. 
If the unit cranks, runs without smoking, not knocking, and it isn't a 'leaker,'  very likely a deal.
If this is going to be used as a repower project...it ain't gonna get no cheaper.    And everything's there.
Just for the hellofit, I'd begin by laying down something a good bit less than $2K, but, if the owner isn't interested, I'd probably have to see the $2K. 
I wouldn't buy it for a commercial operation....cost too much to be put back into service.   
But for a bus repower, it may outlast the bus.   Still worth more than a core.  You often canot buy a good used S60 without a core....or you're gonna pay more than $2K for a core.
That engine may be 80% worn out, but it'll go a long way yet...as long as nothing's falling off the engine.   
Has anything mechanical been stripped off the truck?
With a little creativity, most of your $2K can be recovered by selling the rest of the cab and chassis.
You never know, that engine may have had some major freshening done in the past??
My dos centavos, JR

« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 07:22:15 PM by NJT5047 » Logged

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
dparker

mc 7 in progress

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 07:48:03 PM »

Mr. Nasty,

JR brings some good points -- Sometimes I get my opinions and experiences in play and they shadow the direction of my comments -- like I would not consider a 9 speed, but then all my trucks have 10 speeds -- the 9 could be a better deal but the 10 is what i am familiar with  -

FWIW my company has rolled over several pieces of "modern" equipment (read electronically controlled diesel engines) most were running, the computers shut them down -- righted the equipment --- let it sit in the correct position for a couple of hours, check the various fluids and put the units back into operation without any known issues (most started right up, which leads me to believe that computers shut them down -- had the fuel been the issue we would had to prime the fuel system or at the very least cranked on them for a while) ... of course we did not then take the units apart and inspect and measure each component and check for damage  ... all of this babble to say i do not believe the roll over will hurt it

that is the great thing about this board it allows you to get several perspectives from a couple of different angles that do not cost anything ---

one of the thing that i have been impressed with on this forum is how knowledgeable most of the respondents are and how they give the time to respond and help --

I believe that Dallas and I are just pointing out that there lots of options out there, but also lots of variables that we do not know either, like the unit that you are looking at is 5 miles down the road -- that makes it a ton better than another unit across the country --- but like i said a series 60 in bus will move that unit down the road -- and if you can find someone with the computer they can tweak it up however you want it --

like my dad always said "listen to everyone, then do what YOU want"

GOOD LUCK!

d-

1972 MC7

Parker Systems, LLC
800 8 PARKER
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 08:00:57 PM »

As far as Dallas's comment about the DDEC and the multiple horepower levels, be aware I was quoted a minimum of $250 to disable the Cruisepower feature on my Series 60.  My engine is 325/350HP.  I figure 25 more HP when not on cruise isn't worth the cost.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 08:36:54 PM »

Brian brings up another item regarding HP, if you question the HP rating, get someone to 'read' the ALDL for setup. 
Nexiq readers will tell the whole story.
DDEC II and III readers are commone items.  DDEC II (and up) is a popular and common engine control system.
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 05:24:53 PM »

Trevor, at 800k miles you're looking at a rebuild in the very near future, or sooner.
Not even sure what displacement that engine is, they were available in 11.1 , 12.7 , and 14 litre models.
This will help to determine value of this vehicle you're looking at.
I have no experience with truck applications, only coaches, but some folks have provided great info for you already. Best of luck with your homework.  Cool

busguy01

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 05:54:53 PM »

I bought a 1991 60 sewries a few years back for my Eagle. Had about 800,000 miles on it. We put new lower end bearings in it for about $300 at that time. Still runs great and uses no oil. Have put about 100,000 miles on it since. It is a DDEC2. Had to find a bus pan for it. The older 60 series have a different configuration on the water pump than the newer ones. It took some mods to fit the oil pick up for the new bus pan. Also found a flex plate because I went with an auto.
I do have a used oil bus oil pan if you need one. The engine is worth what you can buy it for! You MUST get the wiring harness and computer along with the air to air for it so buying a running truck is a step along the path you need to follow. The 12.7 is an awesume engine -- I would not have a bus with out one!!!
JimH

Started with nothing - still have most of it left!
1963 Eagle 01 with Detroit 60 series done (Gone-sold!)
MCI EL3 in progress. raised roof & Slides
2009 Revolution 42 Sticks and staple
Summer - Yankton, South Dakota
Winter- Port St Lucie, Florida
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 06:12:56 PM »

I am relatively certain that is a 12.7 liter based on the HP ratings posted.  The 11.1L was available at that time, but it seems to be limited to 400 HP in most cases plus I've mostly seen the 11.1L in day cabs (Or Dina buses in my case).  My limited research tells me the 14L didn't come out until EGR was added in the early part of this decade so this engine is about a decade too old to be 14L.

My opinion is I would not buy the truck if I was planning to keep the cab and build an RV out of it.  You'll probably ditch the sleeper, but the rest of the cab will still need a fair bit of work.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 10:34:13 AM »

Hard to say what the worth is with out inspecting it and having the knowledge to know what you are seeing.

Go here and educate yourself:

www.bigtrucksalvage.com/

Also just type truck salvage in the search window and explore.

Good Luck,

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: