Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 25, 2014, 10:35:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: another shepard power steering question  (Read 1111 times)
4106-123

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2008, 07:45:56 PM »

installed shepard steering a few months ago on my gmc 4106. replaced all tie rod ends ect had the front end aligned, how much play do other peoples buses have in the steering wheel? with the engine off  i can move the wheel about 5 inches pretty easly, i have the stock steering wheel, i measure at one of the spokes, with the engine running its about 2 inches back and forth before i can see the tires move. ive determined ive got about 1/2 play coming from the 90 degree gear box below the steering column. the rest appears to be in the shepard unit. how much play do others have so i can compare. thanks!
hargreaves
1987 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 08:39:45 PM »

We run Sheppard boxes in all our city buses, 5'' is normal and yes with all the "U" joints and bevel box two inches is not uncommon. You will also probably find that it is a little tight for the first thousand miles this is normal.  Way nicer than old armstrong. Good luck,   Gerry

now as of Feb 2012 series 50 B400  . Sunshine Coast British Columbia
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 05:36:09 AM »

my 04 had no noticiable play with engine off   maybe 1" with engine running.
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 05:56:00 AM »

Mine is about the same, set your toe in to o degrees for radial tires and she should go straight down the road with minimal wander. best thing I did was to remove the frame stops and use the internal steering stops in the Sheppard box, decreased my steering radius a bunch.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
4106-123

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 06:52:31 AM »

is there any way to adjust the sheppard box?
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 06:56:39 AM »

Be careful with your steering stops. on my 04 with shepard the tire will rub the air bag if your stops are not right. found out the hard way. blew a bag on the road. had to change on the side.

Thank goodness for hydr lifts.

But it shure does cut a lot sharper than the old power assist.

uncle ned
"huggy bear"

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: