Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 02:46:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stumbled into something need input  (Read 2221 times)
TrevorH

Ignore
« on: January 29, 2008, 02:47:17 PM »

Ok, as some have seen with my posts I am looking for a rig to move myself, 6 other guys and 6 or so dirt bikes around to motocross events etc.  I drive past a bus parked on a lot every day and decided to stop in.  As it turns out, they want to get rid of it as it has sat for the last year and half.  What I thought to be an MCI9, turns out upon further investigation to be a 102A3 with 339k miles.  It had a reman. installed at 249k miles and a new clutch at 300k +- with recipts to prove it.  All of the windows have been vandalized but his insurance cut him a check for $9k to fix them.  I proposed that he only fix the windshields, side vent window, and door window and keep the rest of the money.  It has what look to be new batteries but they showed no charge and would not light anything up.  All tires look to be really new except for the tag tires which are no good.  The engine id tag says DD08VF115552 and 404 hp.  I believe this to be a 8v92, is this correct?  It also is a manual transmission.  Body is in great shap and I found only a little rust along the bottom edge of the compartment just in front of the drive axle.  The guy I have been talking with is a super nice guy and just wants it gone.  What should I offer him?  I dont want to offend him but at the same time, I need something cheap. Little help guys...  Thanks a million!  I am gonna owe alot of cold ones before this project is done.

1987 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 5 spd MT
Tucson, AZ
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 02:53:42 PM »

Sounds like it could be a good deal, but its still a good idea to have it checked out by someone who knows buses. Its probably got some good basics, and if you get it cheap enough or for free, you have some room to put some $ into it to get it going.  But its still better to be informed about exactly what it will take to make it a sound runner.

How are you going to move the dirt bikes? with a trailer?

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 03:01:08 PM »

Depends upon how $rich$ you are.  Since I am soossss poor ($cheap$?) my projects must be done for a dime on the dollar.  Nothing wrong with that...only sometimes people are offended by very low offers.  Just figure what he will take for the coach, (you will "haul" for nothin'?) offer him a fraction of that amount and seeess what kind of reaction you receive.  Might be surprised....but look out!  Smiley Smiley Smiley
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 03:10:23 PM »

Hi Trevor,

Yes, an 8V92...  Sounds really good but, like we will always tell you   have it checked out!

Find out what he has into it $ wise.  You said he wants it gone!  Gone can be had cheap....

Maybe throw a low figure at him and swing it upon approval of a mechanical inspection by a certified mech.

Good Luck!
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 04:39:56 PM »

As others have told you, make a low offer and see what happens. If the bus is on a lot they are used to low offers and won't be offended. Just be prepared to negotiate a little. If it has been there for a year, it probably isn't going anywhere soon.

You say the batteries didn't light anything up. Were all the battery switches turned on? I've seen many buses with strange switches in strange places. Some operators will put switches in the bays or some other place to make it harder to steal. (or repossess).

Just because the tires look new doesn't mean they are serviceable. Check the DOT date of manufacture on each tire and you'll have a better idea of their condition.

If the insurance paid him $9K, He's already got as much or more than he probably has in it and he may really want it gone.

Good Luck,

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
TrevorH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 04:53:38 PM »

He said they have owned it for 10 years and paid $160k for it.  (prior to meeting or ever seeing the bus) His exact words were "how does $12k sound?". I responded with the fact that I could find a complete running one with no broken windows for $8-10k.  He said, "well lets meet and take a look at the bus and go from there".  It did have a switch in the same compartment as the batteries which were in the front passenger box just behind the front wheel.  We could not find any other switchs.  It is not in anyway in afiliation with a dealer.  Its just a guy with a bunch of random stuff.  He said it was used to take kids back and forth across the US until they bought a newer bus last year.  Then they parked this one.  If this unit is running and needs very minor work, what it worth?  What should areas and items need special attention?  Anything special to look for?

Tucson, AZ
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 05:13:58 PM »

Trevor, you must have it checked by a pro before making an offer.
See if you can find a local charter company or transit garage to check it out for you thoroughly.
Owner should get it running and driving before inspection.
Don't spend a dime on it, until it's checked.
It can be a very expensive lesson if you don't.
Good luck.  Cool
TrevorH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 05:20:06 PM »

I kinda dont want him to have anyone work on it.  The more he puts in it, the more he is gonna want.  And I want it cheap, but your right, I could go backwards FAST.  I was thinking about taking out the batteries and seeing if I could get them to charge up myself and see if I could get it up without spending anything on it but my time.

Tucson, AZ
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 05:21:35 PM »

You can't steal in slow motion.

Borrow a couple of car batteries & see if it will start. No sense in getting a mechanic out there if the motor sounds like a metal grinder. If it starts & sounds OK, then invest in a good mechanic to evaluate it for you. A project bus is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

It seems to me this one is worth several hundred up front to help make the right choice.
If you don't have it evaluated & you just pass on it, the possibilities will haunt you from now on. And if you buy it & get it home to find horrible faults . . . . .

Based on my experience, I can tell you a free bus ain't cheap.
But if you like it . . . reason soon looses to vanity.  Shocked

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 08:03:28 AM »

Trevor -

Do you want a stick shift?  Automatics will wiggle in and out of places that a bus stick shift will burn up the clutch.

Does this A3 have the manual front door closer mechanism, or is it a power door?  The manual ones cost MCI a ton of money in warranty repairs because they were unreliable.  Also, if you just happen to be standing in the vestibule area with the door unlatched and partially open, the stupid handle can make you sing soprano if a gust of wind catches the door.  Oh, and be prepared for scraped knuckles when you try to open/close the darned thing.  Stupid design on MCI's part, IMHO. . .

Other's advice about having a bus mechanic give it a "once over" is solid.  Maybe one would be willing to do so after hours or on a weekend for you.  Check with local charter outfits.

Kyle's comment about using a couple of auto batteries is a good one, especially if the weather's over 50 degrees.  Colder than that, you'd need some Group 31s or 8Ds.

Main thing to remember:

It's very easy to buy a bus. . . but it's much, much more difficult to sell a mistake!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 08:42:53 AM »

I would be concerned that it needed an engine at 249K and a clutch at 300.  Sounds like somebody beat the crap out of it.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
TrevorH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 09:50:16 AM »

It has the power door.  There has only been one team of drivers(2) on it since the new engine as documented in their mileage and maintenance logs.  And yes they actually have them!!  I offered him $3-4k for it pending I could get everything up and running.  He said that was doable.  I am going to stop by there tonight, leave a $500 earnest deposit and take the batteries out to see if I can get them to charge up.  He is a pretty honest guy and said if something was wrong with the coach we can renegotiate the price.  Fingers crossed...

Tucson, AZ
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 09:55:44 AM »

at that price not a bad deal but I think the guy is a BBullshitter.

10 years ago a 102A3 witha stick was not bringing 160k
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 01:00:08 PM »

I agree with Doug that a 102A3 that was 10 yrs old definetly was not worth $160K 10 yrs ago. But that said it doesn't mean that someone unaware wasn't tak'n advantage of either. I'd say more likely 10 yrs it was worth less than $60K (my uncle bought one in '99 in excellent shape with great interior, new tires, new video system {$3,000 alone there}, 6V92, 5spd for $30K!).

Also it's sounds like sound advice & good planning on your part to try and get it fired first (charging batteries, etc.). Also you might wanna have him not replace any windows! Front windshields are less than $200.00 ea & you might perfer an after market drivers windo that actually opens (more than a tiny toll window!) Which Pensila & others make a direct replacement for! Could save your self more $ there and also make his investment less which makes your price lower! How about some pics? Any other members close to you who could take a look and help evaluate value? Where is it located? Don't be afraid to ask & we won't be afraid to answer! (even if it ain't zactly what ya wanna hear! LOL!)
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
TrevorH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 01:11:30 PM »

It is here in Tucson, AZ.  I would love for someone with some experience to help me look at it!  Any takers?  I of course would supply some cold ones and a warm meal where you wish!  I will have to check out that window company you speak of, that could be a good way to go. My plan was to tape, some plastic and cardboard over the side windows to hold them temporarely until I could frame my RV windows in.  Again, thanks for all the help guys

Tucson, AZ
luvrbus

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 01:47:28 PM »

Trevor, I know Richard will have a problem with this but talk to Kim at Arizona Transmission this guy knows DD and he is located out by the airport.hope this helps in some way
mike davis

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 02:07:52 PM »

tekebird

I agree with you and to the O.P. check out my threads I have been playing with buses since  1980 first school buses, Then 1993 real buses. I have been looking at the same bus for 6 mo Every one here has been real helpful

GO SLOW It takes me a day just to check out one out of 20 things I need to see on the bus Then I come here and ask questions Then go back to the bus and look some more

mike
mike davis

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 02:15:28 PM »

Trevor

another place you might look in Tucson for help is Do you know where the Gray Line garage is on Broadway right past I-10. Go over there at 3:pm Offer one of the wencher $50 to go with you to look at that bus after work

I live in tucson but I'm in MO right now

mike
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: