Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 10:00:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which tires to avoid????  (Read 3914 times)
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 03:39:14 PM »

ED, I stopped by Swift Transportation here in Phoenix where a friend of mine is vp and ask about tires.These people use and test every brand of tire made and this is what I was told.In our tests the Hankook Al 07 are the best tires for handling,wear, fuel milage and warranty not that a 1/10 of mpg would make a difference on one bus but on thousands of trucks big money. This is a premunim tire not cheap. just some more info for you
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 04:07:50 PM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
gus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 07:42:16 PM »

Contrary to Phil's experience, two years ago I bought two TOYO M122 11R22.5 14 ply steer tires and liked them so much I later bought four more for the rear. I paid something like $240-260 each out the door. These are truck tires, which I wanted because it is likely I won't have a problem finding them in case of a tire failure someplace in the boonies.

Phil, are you sure it is the Toyos that smell!! Just kidding.

I've heard nothing but good about Kumhos and Hankooks but never used them. They are big sellers in this country but I couldn't find them in large truck sizes.

I stopped using Firestones in the late '60s because of total failure of all five that came with my new Barracuda. I never bought another one. My wife got them on her Olds 98 with the same results. This was long before the Ford fiasco which surprised me not at all.

As already posted, some brands have junk tires and excellent tires, you can't always go by brand alone. Michelins are probably very good tires but way overpriced.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 07:46:02 PM »

toya 12r22.5 are made in Japan....don't know what they put in them but they do smell like poop.

the truck tire sizes are made in the states....and don't stink for whatever reason
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 09:39:35 PM »

BK,,,,, that is the kind of info I am looking for, your input is greatly appreciated and respected since you use more tires than most.

I'm not prejudiced and try to not be narrow minded, expecially about tires.

That is the reason for my post, to get first hand experience.
Thanks.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: