Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 01, 2014, 07:02:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Over The Road Air Conditioning  (Read 4514 times)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2008, 05:47:39 PM »

Stan, did you sell those to me in Peterborough, back a number of years?

Big factory conversions have 5 roof airs, because at that price point, I'm not waiting for the coach to cool down if it has been parked in the sun. There is NO EXCUSE for the AC to ever not cool the coach in a noticeable way. No waiting. Excess capacity is part of the price of entry.
Bragging rights to make up for hidden inadequacies might play a part as well...

Riches have their rewards, and their expectations...

In commercial use, think band/entertainer/VIP bus,  if there is a failure in a unit, there is redundancy and the coach can continue until it gets the time or to a location convenient for service (or is just left for the next user/owner by the less reputable leasers)

I was told, can't remember the source or the validity, that openings the equivalent of a 4 inch round hole would defeat our busnut efforts at AC, due to the air infiltration issue. Easily that kind of opportunity at the front of the coach, pedals through the floor, defroster, suction around the door is massive, through the electric panels beside the driver, the gap around the old door opening pushbutton on the front, the old air intakes on the sides, and out around every window seal, slider, crack and crevice.

Lots of places blow in by pressure, lots of places suck out by vacuum, due to the coach punching through the air.

Another reason the stock system was sized so large? infiltration, pull down and 39/41/43/47/55/56/57 people all living, breathing and sweating inside. Oh and the driver.... A busnut has only removed the large number of people, the rest of the loads remain.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Sojourner

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2008, 07:15:25 PM »

I have gotten Red Dot units out of a 15 year old school bus for free because those in Florida convert them into “goat” units for orange pickers. You could look up salvage yard for roll-over or badly front end damage or coach body already removed from chassis. It is a large unit that sets next to driver and another heater unit near above the rear dual wheel. School buses are very hard to cool & heat due to thin wall or no insulation and never ending infiltration….in other words their heating & cooling are bigger to accommodate the coach design.

I would be sure all leaks are stopped before changing to larger unit.
You can find leak the easy way by temporary attaching a discarded furnace blower on top of overhead vent or escape hole. Close all vents & heater air valves, then pail of warm water with ¼ cup of dish washing soap. Take a sponge mop with handle and apply the soapy water over joints (seal, metal, and fiberglass) and look for bubbles. You can use portable hand-pump pressure tank to wet-spray over what mop can’t do. You will be surprised how many leaks you find.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2008, 10:47:17 AM »

I noticed in this posting that several have mentioned putting equipment in the spare tire compartment.  Does that mean that you are running without spare tires?  If so, what is the logic, and if not, where do you put the tires?  Thanks

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »

Lin,
There was a poll on spares; you can see the results and comments at

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=7148.0
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: