Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 05:17:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xantrex Freedom 458 inverters, two or more in series?  (Read 1777 times)
grantgoold

Ignore
« on: February 02, 2008, 10:21:07 PM »

Has anyone placed two Xantrex Freedom 458 inverter side by side or in a series? I cannot find in the manual how to put two inverters together to boost the output. I am trying to avoid having to get a second switch, fuse and battery system.

I already have one Xantrex Freedom in the bus with five 220 amp hour batterires but have a chance to get another inverter just like mine.

Ideas of how I can place the second inverter into the system or do I have to get a second set of batteries......

Thanks

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 10:48:35 PM »

Hi Grant,

I couldn't find any stacking options/configurations in your installation manual.

??

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/429/docserve.asp

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 05:37:13 AM »

Grant,
   You should be able to feed both inverters off your battery bank, but you cannot combine the inverter outputs. You can install 2 separate sub panels and feed each panel from a separate inverter.
   I recently installed a new Heart Interface 2000 watt inverter that had one 120 AC line in and two 120 AC  lines out. I called Heart Interface Tech Support and asked if I could combine the two 120 AC out lines. they said no, I had to feed two separate sub panels  (this inverter had 2 AC out circuit breakers on the front of it).
   Of course, you realize that if you run both inverters off your present battery bank, you will run your batteries down quicker?  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 07:27:39 AM »

I too looked at the install manual and couldn't find a stacking option so I thought I would come to the experts. I guess that I could use the second inverter/charger to charge the start and genset batteries and perhaps have as a backup unit should the first one fail.

Thanks for the input.

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 08:56:34 PM »

Grant, Trace and Outback will stack, if you really need that feature. Not Heart.

If all you are trying to do is increase your 120 volt capacity, then an additional panel will be needed for the additional inverter. Why not look at a single inverter of 2500 to 3000 VA capacity?

The increased surge capability will handle most anything that you can manage to run on batteries and it is a much less complex setup.

If I were doing it, I would look at buying a higher powered inverter and bigger fuse and cables. That would leave you free to sell or store your existing inverter and wiring.

There is some peace of mind that owning an easily installed backup inverter can give you.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 05:24:58 AM »

Grant,
   You should be able to feed both inverters off your battery bank, but you cannot combine the inverter outputs. You can install 2 separate sub panels and feed each panel from a separate inverter.
   I recently installed a new Heart Interface 2000 watt inverter that had one 120 AC line in and two 120 AC  lines out. I called Heart Interface Tech Support and asked if I could combine the two 120 AC out lines. they said no, I had to feed two separate sub panels  (this inverter had 2 AC out circuit breakers on the front of it).
   Of course, you realize that if you run both inverters off your present battery bank, you will run your batteries down quicker?  Jack

Jack,

How did you handle the neutral ground bonding in this situation?

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: