Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 28, 2014, 12:07:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiser’s website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tanks and wall thickness  (Read 3540 times)
grantgoold

Ignore
« on: February 03, 2008, 04:03:49 PM »

I am wondering if a 90 gallon water tank could be made out of aluminum sheet that is 1/16th thick? Of course I could place baffles and so forth inside.

Your thoughts?

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 04:06:59 PM »

yes
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 04:34:54 PM »

Grant,

There has been an ongoing discussion in the past here, on the suitability/use of aluminum for a fresh water tank.

I believe TomC has real world experience using one on his big rig. Tom?

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 04:58:24 PM »

In some of the countries in Europe aluminum  cookware/dinnerware has been outlawed because of detrimental effects on the human body.

Autopsies on people that have died from Alzheimers shows large deposits of aluminum at the base of the brain.

I wouldn't even want to shower in it.  I threw away all my aluminum cookware years ago. 

Not all plastics are FDA approved food grade. Polyethylene is, and that is what my fresh water tank is.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 06:06:26 PM »

I used a 75 gal aluminum fuel tank on my big rig Kenworth, and while it looked good since it was half the length of my 150 gal fuel tank, I would NOT recommend it in water use.  Aluminum reacts with water and with the motion of the vehicle going down the road creates small mineral balls that clog up the water pump screen about once or twice a week.  So it was constant cleaning out of the screen and would be a pain if it clogged up in the morning right when you were to take a shower.  As compared to the bus that has a 130 gal plastic tank that doesn't react, taste or anything over the 12 years it has been in the bus.  The only metal water tank I'd use would be 6011 (not sure if that's the right number) that is the best stainless used in the marine industry for tanks.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Sojourner

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 12:01:33 AM »

Tom...you mean 316 SS....6011 which is aluminum.
Yes...only metal for food grade is 316-SS.

By the way about .0625" thick aluminum sheet is OK in cylinder shape with spoon ends but not in square or rectangular shape unless you go thicker.

For low cost in the long run and trouble free from bleach or any corrosive substance such as sewer waste (unless you keep it stir up in metal tank) is noncorrosive polyethylene and one piece seamless construction. Get heavy duty 1/4" thick wall. They are not welded type but mold from rolling box with melted polyethylene until cooled to it given shape into one piece contrustion.

MAK's sponsor has them:
http://www.ardemco.com/ardemco.asp
2 of B298 110gals fit well in my MCI-8

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 02:54:15 AM »

Aluminum as a hazard is an old wives tale.

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/valentino.asp

Think about it, if there was even a glimmer of truth to it everybody who has alzheimers would be sueing Coca Cola, Pepsi etc.
 I know not everybody uses it, but people who use deodorant are exposed to far more aluminum than you could ever get from cooking!!!

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 06:49:44 AM »

Aluminum as a hazard is an old wives tale.

JJR  I never gave any thought to this topic till about 2 months ago when a post came up and I started doing a little research on the topic.Yahoo has over 900 million sites you can visit about this topic and what I read aluminum is not good for you even the military does not use it for water because of health reasons and its being removed from toothpaste and deodorants. My thoughts on this topic         
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 10:53:17 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
compedgemarine

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 07:29:33 AM »

dont know about it being a wives tale but I know that I can only wear deoderant as it does not have aluminum. if I wear anti-perspirant (which has aluminum) I get a bad rash and reaction. as far as soda cans they are coated inside to prevent the aluminum from contacting the contents.
steve
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 07:48:50 AM »

or Ronco that makes all the tanks for Ardemco, and you can buy them from Ronco far cheaper than Ardemco.  I drove ot he factory in Orange county, and for no extra charge they spin welded all the fittings I wanted.  Later when it turned out I had made a mistake on loction for several of them, Ronco closed them off and spun a few new ones in for no extra charge except for a tip for the worker that did it.

714-259-1385

Ardemco uses the same catalog and part numbers as Ronco the actual manufacturer.

Plastic is the only way to go.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Kristinsgrandpa

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 12:26:48 PM »

Aluminum and Alzheimer's Disease

If you have ever wondered why there is such an astounding increase in Alzheimer's disease, the answer may have finally been found. In the April 1995 issue of the international science journal, Neurotoxicology, a private Australian research group reported that the widespread use of aluminum salts to purify water may lead to brain damage and may account for the large scale loss of memory experienced by people suffering from Alzheimer's disease!

The Australia Institute of Biomedical Research, based in Sydney, reported that experiments with rats showed that tiny amounts of aluminum consumed in water found its way to their brains and accumulated there. It has been known for twenty years that if aluminum accumulated in the brain over a period of time, it could kill off neurons and cause memory loss. Institute researcher Judie Walton noted the worldwide massive increase in Alzheimer's disease over the past 70 years. She pointed out: "We are drinking it and eating it throughout our lifetimes, so by the time we are quite old we have had a lot of exposure to aluminum." Aluminum is also found in food emulsifiers, anti-perspirant deodorants, baking powder, some toothpastes, and many of the commonly used cooking utensils.

The research on rats found measurable amounts of aluminum in their brains after just one glass of aluminum treated water. Walton observed: "We really should look seriously at revisiting this possibility that aluminum addition to foods and drinking water is a health hazard." Due to the concerns about a link between aluminum and Alzheimer's disease, Sydney, Australia's largest city, is already gradually withdrawing aluminum treatment of water.

Using aluminum to purify water may be even more dangerous than the use of fluoride and chlorine in our water. It is believed that the problem is worsened by the action of fluoride in facilitating the absorption of aluminum.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I would also recommend that you read through the book Toxic Metal Syndrome: How Metal Poisonings Can Affect Your Brain, by Dr. H. Richard Casdorph and Dr. Morton Walker. This book delves into the aluminum problem quite thoroughly.

Or you can contact Dr. Jacquelyn Jewett at Oregon State University, Eugene OR. She is very well educated on the effects of aluminum on peoples brains and Alzheimers victims as our mother died from Alzheimers disease.

There is more than this, I dont want to take any more space so I'll let the rest of the thousands of pages go un posted.

Ed
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 12:35:59 PM by Kristinsgrandpa » Logged

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 02:24:57 PM »

Ed and MMATS,

Thank you for taking the time and making the effort.  I read something about this a long time ago but having not seen anything in the mainsteam press I thought it had been debunked.  Really, Thank You both.

My lady is super smart and a research librarian.  She is fighting memory loss that is quick to be apparent in her field and is currently undergoing extensive medical evaluation.  I think that even with a lobotomy she would still be ahead of me so we aren't concerned...at least for our relationship and compatability.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 02:37:09 PM »

Looks like we are researching kinda the same thing concering the use of alumimumuimmummm as a fresh/drinking water tank.  What I am now finding out (I'm an ex-RN) is that there is a lot of misrepresentation concerning aluminumiummiummm as a water tank container.

Bottom line (at least for right now) is that I am now leaning away from using this material as a water tank. A hedged political answer fur sures, but since other stuff/materials/availablitiy of alternate water tank materials is available, why create a potential future problem?   

But...your question is...is your choice and thickness of aluminimummuimm doable for creating a water tank.  Dunno.  I have zero welding skills welding this stuff.  Perhaps some rocket scientist types who weld for a living will answer properly.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
Kristinsgrandpa

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 05:14:38 PM »

My worst fears now are that next eweek they will admit that some of the chemicals that ooze from polyethelyne will kill me.

Out of the frying pan into the fire.

Ed

WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 06:30:58 PM »

Sorry, but I can't read this without recommending that you use transparent aluminum

Live long and prosper.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: