Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 01:20:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I got fire!!!  (Read 2838 times)
TrevorH

Ignore
« on: February 05, 2008, 11:41:53 AM »

So I managed to take the batteries out of my truck and get them into the bus, just for starting purposes.  I crossed my fingers and prayed.  It turned over for 10 or so seconds, I gave it a little throttle and she fired right up!!  It dumped whitish smoke until the injectors got primed up but didnt smoke one bit after.  Are pressure came up to 90 psi within 10 minutes and after I unlocked the brakes and turned on some acc. it came right up to 125 within a minute or so.  I could not be happier.  We agreed on a price of $4k pending a mechanics approval and I left a deposit.  I just wanted to thank everyone so far for helping me get this far.  I am sure there is more in store and I hope I can help you all in your projects just as you have with me. Thanks!!

1987 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 5 spd MT
Tucson, AZ
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 11:45:04 AM »

Awesome!
If you get decent results from the inspection, you've probably made out like a bandit!

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
cody

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 12:06:01 PM »

Thats great, one battle down, only a few hundred left to fight lol.
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 01:05:42 PM »

awesome, be sure to send us pics!!!

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 01:46:56 PM »

Yeah, where are the pictures?

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 01:50:34 PM »

Now let's be very careful out there.  If you are very lucky and the fates shine upon you....you will become...ONE OF US!  He he he.  The hardest part to come may be if the mechanic down-checks your new prize and you have to make that hard, hard decision to simply walk away.  Or...he he he, (again) he will up-check the coach, you $buy$ it, and you will be INFECTED....FOREVER!!!  Smiley Smiley Smiley
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 01:54:17 PM »

Pics.... we want pics! Pics pics pics pics pics pics!

Did I mention we'd like to see pics? LOL! Congrats sounds like a great deal! Oh and don't forget the pics! LOL!
Grin  BK  Grin

PS If the mechanic don't give it a perfectly clean bill of health don't write it off w/o looking at the costs and options on repairing what ails it! After all I believe there is a traveling moderator that could come to the rescue!

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Dreamscape

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 02:53:45 PM »

Hi Trevor,

From what you said it sure looks good. I am glad it is working out for you.

You will forever love the smell of diesel.......You're hooked for sure.  Wink

Good Luck,

Paul

PS Post some pics when you can.
TrevorH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 03:21:26 PM »

For some reason I get the feeling maybe I should take some pictures and get some posted here right quick.

1987 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 5 spd MT
Tucson, AZ
cody

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 04:01:31 PM »

Hey, I've got an idea, how about taking some pics lol.
mike davis

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 04:09:34 PM »

So I managed to take the batteries out of my truck and get them into the bus, just for starting purposes.  I crossed my fingers and prayed.  It turned over for 10 or so seconds, I gave it a little throttle and she fired right up!!  It dumped whitish smoke until the injectors got primed up but didnt smoke one bit after.  Are pressure came up to 90 psi within 10 minutes and after I unlocked the brakes and turned on some acc. it came right up to 125 within a minute or so.  I could not be happier.  We agreed on a price of $4k pending a mechanics approval and I left a deposit.  I just wanted to thank everyone so far for helping me get this far.  I am sure there is more in store and I hope I can help you all in your projects just as you have with me. Thanks!!

cool
        3 down Huh to go How much is the glass? 125 psi on the air What type of bus is it? Go slow and look hard

I wish you good luck and hope everything goes good

mike

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 04:35:39 PM »

Trevor,
As I mentioned earlier in this thread those windshields are cheap (relatively especially compared to a Setra or Neoplan) ask your local charter company that run MCI's if they don't have any instock most will be glad to add yours to their next glass order at cost + a little toward shipping (it's cheaper and safer for them to by a whole crate of windows/windshields at one time than individually). I got a guy over in Poplar Bluff, MO that sells & installs those same windshields for me for $250 installed. Shoot it'd cost me that much just to order 1 and have it shipped from MCI! So look around and check out the local charter outfits, probably several close by. (it's a good way to get in good with them and then find out if one of their mechanics can come by and give the prepurchase physical!)
As for the drivers window I was just reading my new copy of BCM Saturday and saw exactly what you need in an ad for Bus Conversion Windows by Peninsula/Motion Windows check out www.buswindows.com
Good Luck & take pics!
Grin  BK  Grin 

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 05:47:48 PM »

I, for one, think somebody should be posting some pics!!   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
coachconverter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 06:25:44 PM »

Trevor,

Sounds like you really can't go wrong.  Everbody will offer suggestions and/or doubts, but that bus is worth far more in parts than you're paying for it.  If you can get it running and take it on a decent test drive on a backroad, then you have plenty of room in your cost to do other repairs.  An 8V92 alone will bring 5k on the market, not that I think you're wanting to part it out.

But let's put things in perspective, up until a year or so ago, MC9 buses were bringing 10-15k, at 96 inches wide.  A C would be nicer, with the higher ceiling, but an A can be raised to your exact desired height pretty easily.  The windshields are cheap and if you keep asking around on the board here, I bet you'll stumble across some free Side Windows.  I have 7 good ones in my shop, but they're in Ohio.  I'm pretty sure my customer would let them go for free, if you get desperate enough to make that drive.

Definitely follow through with having a mechanic look at it, but just be aware, that doesn't mean it will go fine for half a million miles or blow up 2 miles down the road on you.  Just keep that killer price in mind, no matter what you have to put into it later.  You could have always bought a 25k bus and run into the exact same problems, or possibly worse.  At 335k miles, that bus is still a puppy!  Especially if it's been in your neck of the woods and not in the rustbelt.

Todd
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 04:02:26 AM »

Hi Trevor, what kind of bus is it?

And do you think you should send some photos!
Congrats buddy!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: