Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 02:22:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what is this worth? How high to bid???  (Read 1914 times)
mike davis

Ignore
« on: February 06, 2008, 01:27:14 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350022541437

we bidding on it now It will work for us for now. I'm still going over on Thursday to the 4501 and air it up If the airbags air up ect. If she will take $1800 ok If not I'll walk away nicely and leave her a list of what I fegered out

this bus looks to me like. Bus,Basic 1 each. No learning curb. Same everything as my old TDM  even the speedometer is the same Inside is grate for the kids even a place for car seats and beds

MY wife "does it have a bathtub?" Me "yes" Her "Buy it" 

and 4501 sitting next to it would be a nice pare 

mike
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 01:43:42 PM »

I would consider buying it simply because it traveled to and from Roanoke Virginia where I was born.  Looks like a fairly good example of a 60 year old bus.  Does it have the 471 or 671?  Can one imagine a turboed aftercooled 300hp 671TA....with Jake?  He he he.  Very nice photographs also.  Thank you. Smiley Smiley Smiley
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 02:21:56 PM »

From the pictures it has a 6-71 natural.  Don't know if it is a 2 or 4 valve.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Dallas

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 02:57:00 PM »

There is a good possibility the the engine you see there is original to that coach.

That is as Tom says a 6-71 NA, Low Block 2 valve with external fuel rails. Normally that engine would have been swapped out at overhaul with a newer style 6-71 in the 1950's.

That engine is the holy grail of the inline 71's for machinery and coach restorers. The just aren't many of them around anymore. I think the last one I saw was on a genset at a sugar processing plant in Minnesota. It had been running for over 40 years nonstop and was only being shut down then because they wanted to replace rod and main bearings. When I took it apart the bearings still looked like new and miked out within usable tolerance.

Good Luck to you on your bidding!

Dallas
mike davis

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 03:34:01 PM »

There is a good possibility the the engine you see there is original to that coach.

That is as Tom says a 6-71 NA, Low Block 2 valve with external fuel rails. Normally that engine would have been swapped out at overhaul with a newer style 6-71 in the 1950's.

That engine is the holy grail of the inline 71's for machinery and coach restorers. The just aren't many of them around anymore. I think the last one I saw was on a genset at a sugar processing plant in Minnesota. It had been running for over 40 years nonstop and was only being shut down then because they wanted to replace rod and main bearings. When I took it apart the bearings still looked like new and miked out within usable tolerance.

Good Luck to you on your bidding!

Dallas

Dallas
        I think the  6-71 NA, was also used in marine applications The  idle control was deferent for the coach (non vented) to marine (vented)

last time I saw 1 run was in my TDM and in the Yukon Territory along the Al-Can hwy. running an old gen.

some marine crane co. run pumps with them too

now you got me thinking. A place in OH. has the parts for them 

mike
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 03:56:35 PM »

just about everything for the 6-71 is still available brand new  only issues are the bus specific parts which can also be had used if nothing else.

As for what it is worth?  It's worth what you are willing to pay.

providing it runs and can pass a DOT inspection and suits your needs just use the buy it now.
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 04:01:37 PM »

rebuild?  Well maybe, but I would say not professional as a preof shop would have repainted it.....or maybe it was never taken out of the bus.

with the white paint under the non DD green paint I would say the engine has seen some different habitats....starting with a Marine one, Common DD marine Engine color
Dallas

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 04:13:22 PM »

That white paint may actually be grey paint which Hound used on a lot of engines at rebuild time. The paint looks like someone has been trying to strip it and scrape it off. The green is possibly a PO installed option.

Just looking at it, it still has the original, "Snuff Box" air governor and the Tuflo TF400 air compressor. It would be a good idea to look at changing those out for a newer style TF500 and a Bendix D-2 governor.

Dallas
scottwms

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 04:21:10 PM »

I would not count on getting this coach for what you suggested you might pay. It appears to be worth quite a bit more and the buy it now is in fact much higher. Call the guy. The enterior is not too impressive but the coach looks pretty nice.  
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 04:28:50 PM »

hmm. have never seen any photos or heard of GH using grey paint for rebuilds but the 3751/4151 is a bit before my chronological knowledge

this would not have been the case in the 50's.

Grey is alos a Common DD Marine Color.

tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 04:31:46 PM »

I do think I spied some DD green on the Curb Side Valve cover
scottwms

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 05:35:46 PM »

It actually appears as if someone sprayed an aerosol degreaser in the engine compartment and left it on too long or used a pressure washer to remove it.
mike davis

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 06:11:22 PM »

It actually appears as if someone sprayed an aerosol degreaser in the engine compartment and left it on too long or used a pressure washer to remove it.

I thought it was pressure washed too My thought was why?  the surge tank on my old bus was just copper not panted The green looks like forest green on my computer The white Huh

mike
scottwms

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 06:50:39 PM »

I'll go out on a limb here, based on the fact that I paid $10K FOR A '52 4103 in similar condition but with nicer woodwork, and if in fact the drive train is good, and if the tires and glass are good, this coach is easily worth $10k, but I wouldn't go much over that. And then there is the cardinal rule that it it is over $10k, get a mechanic to go through it.
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 02:58:30 PM »

Wondering if the original, old, old, 671 Detroit mill would have any real $collectability$ as a complete rebuildable core?  Come on all us older Detroit nuts....this may be an opportunity to buy an old, complete (?) Detroit and the seller will even throw in the entire coach for $frees$.

Plus now also wondering (ain't a feeble mind fun?) if the core value of the 671 would help $pay$ for the forementioned 671TA 300hp....with a Jake?  He he he.  At any rate, it might be maximum cool to own an old Jimmie (G?) that is one (1) year older....than I am.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: