Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 07:25:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 14 L series 60  (Read 4552 times)
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 09:39:27 AM »

Jim -

Ah. . . you missed it.  I was primarily commenting "tongue-in-cheek" in a humorous way.  Sorry if it didn't come across as such. . .

Check your private messages for info regarding your jacuzzi.

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 12:50:50 PM »

As a owner of a 400 series john deere lawnmower with a 350 chevy in it I guess I am really quite the fool.  My children think that I have lost My grip.  Hope that they are right.  I will try to post some pictures so that all can see that being over 65 does not stop fools from dreaming.  John
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 12:53:51 PM »

Sorry Russ, I appreciate the tongue in cheek, I just don't always "get it".  I  tell my girlfriends they have to hit me with a two by four to get my attention, the suttle stuff just doesn't connect sometimes.  Thanks for your comments. 

That was some great info on the pool stuff you sent. I already have a pool heater I got for free, take out from a big apt buildling a manager friend of mine got. That variable speed pump motor sounds right up my alley.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 12:56:50 PM by H3Jim » Logged

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
TrevorH

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 12:57:07 PM »

Nice Jim!  I love the "...I tell my girlfriends...".  Well done my friend

1987 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 5 spd MT
Tucson, AZ
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 12:57:30 PM »

Junkman, YES we need pictures!!

Jim Stewart

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 05:01:31 PM »

Jim I understand where you are coming from, Being an old hot rodder my self. If you are serious about more hp go with the 14L. I used to work on a truck owned by a hay hauler, it had a 12.7L bumbed up to 525 hp and we inframed it every 250,000-- 300,000 miles. That much fuel in the cylinders keeped them washed down and wore out the rings. He also got 5.5 mpg for what it's worth.

Don
junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 07:05:27 PM »

Here is a picture of a tim allen eat Your heart out mower.  It is real , has a chute and wing but the mower deck is faux.  Insane You say I agree but a man has to do crazy things according to the better half.  John
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2008, 07:55:22 PM »

I like it!  It is along the lines of the V-8 chainsaw, V-8 powered original Mini Cooper, and the V-8 powered push type snow blower.  How fast does it go?  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2008, 08:02:14 PM »

I love it!  I sense another "Hey Y'all, watch this!" story coming!
Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2008, 08:14:52 PM »

Jim, Why don't you call Pittsburgh Diesel and give them your serial number and see what they recommend. They have some innovative electronics available for your engine that would allow you to just have the big power when you want it and will let your engine run its factory parameters the rest of the time. I would guess 6 or 700 hundred HP would be in their realm without causing any unnecessary stress to your engine. (pittsburgdiesel.net)

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2008, 12:10:23 PM »

Interesting web page, but it doesn't look lke they have anything for Detroits.  In my experience, you can't get something for nothing.  I'd uses the extra power to climb mountians, so it would be in use for 10 minutes or more, and that might be enough to cause some critical parts to overheat / blowup. 

Its also possible that a fresh engine built to the same specs would run a little stronger too.

Jim Stewart

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2008, 12:53:09 PM »

Pittsburg Power does have units for the Series 60.  They label them as DDEC III/IV instead of the engines they work with.

$2395 is a lot of money to potentially cause issues with the motor as they are certainly turning up fuel like the units for diesel pickups.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 01:09:06 PM by belfert » Logged

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2008, 12:56:16 PM »

Quote from: NJT 5573
Jim, Why don't you call Pittsburgh Diesel and give them your serial number and see what they recommend. They have some innovative electronics available for your engine that would allow you to just have the big power when you want it and will let your engine run its factory parameters the rest of the time. I would guess 6 or 700 hundred HP would be in their realm without causing any unnecessary stress to your engine. (pittsburgdiesel.net)

Author,
Thanks for bringing back memorie$! LOL! I'd forgotten about PD until yer post!  
Jim I can assure you (I'm bitten by the power junkie bug like you and Tim Allen and everybody else! LOL!) they do have and know a thing or 2 for all diesels! Although they are most known for creating some of the badest Cummins that have ever been seen! I had them do some work for me way back when I was trk'n and couldn't keep up with some of their Cum-a-parts in the western mntns! After finding out who was building them I called and talked to them and they said sure can help yer Detroit, but most of our work is on Cummins, I told them yes I knew that and it hurt that I couldn't out pull them in the hills! LOL! I don't recall what all they did but I do remember a new turbo, and some computer work, and when I left I was a happy camper! I loved that ol' trk & the driver that I passed it down to when I got a new CAT 550 hp powered Freightliner Classic XL that was the badest stock engine I or anyone else who seen it, ever saw! That thing out pulled 600 hp CATs Cummins and anything else fr4om day 1 of the dealer lot! Many times I was accused of pumping it up! And many times I was told that someone made a mistake and put a 600 hp or experimental motor in it by mistake, but everytime it was checked out by a CAT dealer it was confirmed to be a 500 hp engine by the ser. # & computer! After 173,000 miles I took it in for it's tune up and we dyno'd it @ 612 hp to the ground with an 18 spd, 3.55 rears and 24.5" tall rubber! That was 1 mean ground pound'n CAT and was the badest and favorite trk I ever had! It was even badder the 600 hp CAT pwrd Pete I replaced it with! (as a matter of fact I took the Freightliner back and gave the Pete to a driver! LOL!).
In other words Jim it wouldn't hurt ya to check with them and see what they are doing with brand X (2 them not us! LOL!) these days!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: