Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 10:01:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8V71 removal from MC-5A  (Read 3567 times)
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 09:23:49 AM »

Mike,
Those picts sure help a lot. Knowing that these busses were designed for easy engine removal/installation, I guess it makes good sense to go that way. And I've got flat concrete indoors. Plus I have an engine removal/re-insertion expert a few miles away: Brian Diehl. Just in case I forget how to put it back in, I can call him. I've got a couple months before its warm enough to tackle it so I'll try to locate a dolly already made. Otherwise, a good winter welding project for me.

Thanks - Fred

Fred Thomson
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 09:48:51 AM »

Fred, there should be a drawing of the engine dolly in the back of your MCI5 Service Manual. If you don't have one or the drawing is missing contact me and I'll send you a copy.

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 10:25:48 AM »

Quote from: gomer
pictures are worth a thousnad words.  That look so easy that way.  I have a friend,believe it or not, that jacks up the cradle after unhooking everything because he don't have the room to pull it out and he pulls the coach forward,  same results Grin
gomer

Gomer,
Excellent point! I should have mentioned that too, as it's the way we used to do it (after we learned the hard way with the broken tranny episode) & I know several people who still do it that way. One built a stand that he puts under the bus and then has sliding pads that go up and down in their post w/pin holes he slightly raises the rear of the bus pushes the pads up as far as they can go pins them, then lets the air off the bus and it lowers enough for him to roll the bus forward!

Fred ya might check with Brian or Gumpy if they don't have one they might know someone who does!

Mike awesome job on pics! I see that for the 8V71 pics (next to the fork lift) the supervisor was standing their making sure everything went smooth!
Grin  BK  Grin
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 10:30:56 AM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
mikelutestanski

Mikes Metal Mistress

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 11:14:37 AM »

BK    The supervisor/,worker,/laborer/ etc..       in short I do it all.. 
            My wife will help when necessary and she provides inspiration also. 
    However  having said that   my 2 friends helped removing the tag axle for modifications and changing the differential.. One is a bus nut/neighbor the other an antique car nut..    I was smart enough to know that those two jobs required more hands...
     Thanks for the compliments; keeps me coming back.      I have learned alot using the board. It sure is a nice resource when working on this equipment..

FYI    My friend told me that greyhound had the main shop set up so that 2 mechanics could change one of these in 2 hours   ..Hard to believe but there it is..cant dispute his words  because hes passed on .

Happy Bussin      mike

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 11:39:54 AM »

I'll back that up.

My retired mechanic friend and his partner set out one day in their younger days to see how fast they could go.

MC8, 45 minutes to get the drivetrain out, from the time the coach stopped rolling.

The shop foreman thought that was grand and wanted that all the time. Needless to say, that was the last time.... been there, done that, now shove off, this is a unionized shop!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 01:10:00 PM »

BK    The supervisor/,worker,/laborer/ etc..       in short I do it all.. 
            My wife will help when necessary and she provides inspiration also. 
    However  having said that   my 2 friends helped removing the tag axle for modifications and changing the differential.. One is a bus nut/neighbor the other an antique car nut..    I was smart enough to know that those two jobs required more hands...
     Thanks for the compliments; keeps me coming back.      I have learned alot using the board. It sure is a nice resource when working on this equipment..

FYI    My friend told me that greyhound had the main shop set up so that 2 mechanics could change one of these in 2 hours   ..Hard to believe but there it is..cant dispute his words  because hes passed on .

Happy Bussin      mike

Mike I was refering to the German Shepard "supervising" up under yer armpit to see to it U was doin' it right! LOL!
Still looks like ya got a great operation there, and I meant it the pics look great! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Fredward

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2008, 06:37:06 PM »

Fred, there should be a drawing of the engine dolly in the back of your MCI5 Service Manual. If you don't have one or the drawing is missing contact me and I'll send you a copy.

Bob
Thanks Bob,
I do have the manual with the design for the dolly. I might throw one together quick but there might be other options including dollying the bellhousing area and using the forks on the skid steer for the backend (front) of the engine. I have a month or so to figure it all out.
Fred

Fred Thomson
Fredward

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2008, 06:42:39 PM »

BK,
Thanks for your help. Brian said I can use his dolly and Craig said there's another nut around here who made a dolly to pull his 871. Only problem with Brian's is that it only holds the bell housing area; I would need to use my skid steer or cherry picker for the other end. I'd rather have the whole thing "cradled" I think. Because once I get it out, I'll be wrenching on it either replacing the clutch or installing an MT644. I suppose once its out, I could brace it with something, but its very precious cargo and dropping it would not be good!
 -Stay tuned-
Fred

Fred Thomson
gomer

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 05:39:50 PM »

My friend here in Ocala takes his charters and backs it in [on the ground] takes 4x4's,makes a crib to set the front of the engine cradle on, uses a 12 volt winch and hooks to his truck and pulls the coach forward enough to get to the back of the engine cradle and cribs that up and moves the bus out of the way. Then does what is needed and then reverses the truck and pulls it back over the engine.  He usually does this by hisself too.  I did watch him pull punkins out without any help.Whweeeee  what a worker.  GOOD LUCK

Gomer

as you slid down the banister of life,may the splnters point the other way
TRUST IN GOD ALWAYS. riverjordanmusic@aim.com
Gomer
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 06:47:34 AM »

Fred,

Sorry to hear about your transmission woes, if you need help email me and if I can I will.

Just to let you know Burt at ABC is sitting on a bunch of rebuilt allison's 740's, 754's, B500's and I'm not sure what else. They must be in a bargaining mood considering the market.

Just a thought.

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: