Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 09:36:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: O.T: Does anyone have a carry permit?  (Read 4441 times)
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« on: February 09, 2008, 12:22:28 PM »

If so, what is your choice of carry weapon?

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
TrevorH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 12:26:26 PM »

Sig Sauer .40 or an HK .40, and a shotgun. 

1987 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 5 spd MT
Tucson, AZ
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 12:37:01 PM »

Howitzer, 50cal saw and a blunderbus for for killing mice.  Grin  No permit, no weapons, no brains.

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 12:51:29 PM »

My choice is a S&W M39, a .22 revolver or Sig P239 unless I want to carry an AK Cheesy.
I am not as accurate with a .45 but I've only shot large frame, maybe I'd be better with a smaller frame?
Never shot a .40 but heard the recoil is nasty and loads are $$

Don't usually carry in the city but I'm rethinking that lately, cop friends tell me scary stories and that I should. Always carry on the road. In the bus will be Winchester 1300 for going out in the boonies.

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 12:58:25 PM »

If you search you will find this was covered in a past thread.  The answers ranged from shotguns to flare guns.  There are also many who probably carry but don't want to put that info in a public forum.

I was fortunate and worked in a gun store for a few years.  I have quite the choice should I decide to carry.

The right gun to carry is
A. The one you can control and hit what you aim at.  (Misses don't count)
B. The one you will actually have with you as opposed to the one at home that you hate                 to lug around.

The long winded answer to your question is if I did it would be  something in a 40ish.... unless it is revolver day then generally a 357.

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 01:00:50 PM »

I have a NC Concealed Carry Permit (CCP) which is honored in all States except IL.  For some reason there must not be any crime in that state or if there is they don't care to do anything about it....and DC. which will never allow law abiding citizens to carry weapons....Egads!  If they did...there wouldn't be any population left!

My personal weapon of preference is a Model 23 Glock in .40 Caliber with a built in Laser sight. In the event of a confrontation the dropping of the laser on the bridge of the nose usually effects an Immediate AAP.
(Attitude Adjustment Period)

I do plan on getting a small .38 wheel gun just so I can rat shot close at hand in the event I need to return order to some crazy chaotic situation involving close quarters.

With tongue in cheek

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 01:10:43 PM »

Funny thing is I carried for work but almost never did off-duty.  I really like the H&K 40 Compact, variant 1.  It does not have a lot of recoil at all.  It is true rounds are more expensive than a 9mm, but there are good reloads available for practice that are not that costly.  For self defense purposes you will have to have something really high quality, but you don't really use those up, so it is not a real expense.  It is said that you do not want to use target rounds for self defense since it takes more rounds to do the job.  If you ever use a weapon, it will be treated as a criminal investigation, and the more rounds you've used, the crazier some people will think you are.  If you plan to carry for protection from bus-invasion, you might consider a shotgun.  The sound of it raking may be enough to chase intruders away.  Anyway, this is a deadly serious consideration that is not one to go cowboy on.  The way things work, even if you win, you could loss big time.  I have seen devices that are alarms that, when triggered, sound like a big dog barking.  I have also heard of people putting a huge dog bowl by there door with a name like "Killer" monogrammed on the side.  Put a pair of dirty, worn size 15 boots next to that and maybe no one will want to disturb you and Killer.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
ktmossman

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 02:54:26 PM »

I have a GA CCW and usually carry a Sig .40.  Once we finally have a bus, I think we will travel with my wife's shotgun as well.  It is a Mossberg 500 Home Defense which has had a second pistol grip attached.

Speaking of carrying...

http://bluestarchronicles.com/greenberet.html

Kevin
cody

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 04:10:13 PM »

I have a michigan permit, but I find the most terrifying super crimnal will run and beg for mercy if I tell my wife he has said bad things about her cooking, after telling her that, I quietly say a small prayer for the poor doomed individual and hope that she has the common sence to at least hide the body.  In the event I'm home alone when this arch criminal decides to attack with a vengence, my secondary line of self defense is an extensive slide show of my grand kids birthday parties.
scottie

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 04:12:27 PM »

s/w .40 (with back up)
semi jacket hollow points...GO BIG OR GO HOME
i think the revolver might be better when your defending your self,i have never had a revolver jam,but with the semi that can happen and that could mean life or death.also with the semi your spring in the clip will wear down after sitting around fully loaded for long periods of time so you might not get that last round out! something to think about!
scottie
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 04:29:07 PM »

This publication advertises in the Good Sam club's magazine "Highways"

www.gunlawguide.com

Travellers guide to the firearm laws of the 50 states, and in small print, includes Canada and Mexico.

Best to know what's what where you're going to be at and through.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 04:38:14 PM »

I tote a Walther PPKS .380 and the Mrs carries a Beretta Tomcat .32  I also keep a S&W Model 629 .44 Magnum beside the bed.... Just in case....

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 04:59:04 PM »

A bum jumped in the open door of my bus last winter in San Deigo. We are still laughing. Our German Shephard ripped about half his arm off before he escaped!

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 05:02:17 PM »

I don't have a Concealed Weapons Permit because my guns are all too big to conceal (Ruger Blackhawks 357, 44 Mag, and 45 Long Colt). Florida law states weapon must be concealed.  But they do stay inside the bus aling with the 12 Ga. Pump.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 08:26:26 PM »

Next to my bus hobby there is my gun hobby. NEVER get enough of either! I guess I am marching to a different drummer, my preferred CCW is a Ruger SP101 357mag. Always works, and I donít have to pick up the spent shells. Wink

http://www.internetarmory.com/handgunammo.htm

"The .357 Magnum, in Remington or Federal JHP, 125 grains, is unquestionably the most effective handgun cartridge in existence.  Its proven ability to produce one shot stops exceeds that of any other round, including more powerful cartridges such as the .41 Magnum and .44 Magnum." 

Custom Remington high capacity 870 when I need to show-and-mow. Makes the bad guys cry like little babies. Cry

Better buy what you have always wanted now, it looks like neither the Dems nor Repubs, are not going to be very gun friendly this next go around.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: