Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 18, 2014, 05:26:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black water tanks - "natural" vs. "more natural"  (Read 2075 times)
DROdio
WonderlandBus

1989 VanHool T-815 - "WonderlandBus"

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2006, 06:59:51 PM »

OK so it's pretty clear to me that i shoudn't be using the "blue" chemical black tank cleansers, because I want to foster bacterial growth in the black water tank to break everything down.

However, I'm wondering which of these 2 methods is better:

1. the "Geo Method" proposed by http://home.mindspring.com/~cbruni/index.html .  Basically this writer suggests only using some powdered water softener and laundry detergent in the black water tank.

2. the "enzyyme" approach, as proffered here: http://www.valterra.com/RV/inthenews.htm and http://www.sea-zyme.com/

3. the "good bacteria" approach, as proffered here: www.eco-save.com

Right now I'm inclined to go the eco-save approach, but let me know if you have other suggestions...  Also please let me know if you've used eco-save.

"WonderlandBus"
1989 VanHool T-815

Daniel@WonderlandBus.com
www.WonderlandBus.com
phil4501

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 07:15:19 PM »

I vote for eco-save, enzymes too slow for how long we camp. I have no experience with the first method but it seems it would work good with a starter, left from the previous batch.

Make sure the tank is vented well.

Phi Zisakis
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 05:25:45 AM by phil4501 » Logged
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 07:58:40 PM »

I use the Eco stuff from Camping World.  The make slips my mind, but it comes in a green box.  Use the powder that doesn't have a smell.  Works well.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 09:10:43 PM »

DRO,

We use nothing, it doesn't take much to get the little guys to grow fast. I get some very minor odor if the tank gets a really good shaking up but this doesn't happen too often and is caused by lack of a good vent than anything else.

Just don't completely empty the tank or was it out so the microbes can keep growing.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 01:14:59 AM »

YEAST

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Hobe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 03:12:27 PM »

In 20 years of camping. I have never used anything in my black gray tank. I have never had a problem with anything hard in my tank. I dump it every 4 or 5 days when we get to a dump station. The sloshing back and forth keeps it sturred up and it flushes clean. Fred North Florida Bus Conversion
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 03:41:10 PM »

All I have ever put in my black tank is...
1. Number One
2. Number Two
3. Toilet paper
4. Water
and have not had a foul smell or any type of blockage.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 10:55:44 PM »

I vote for Eco Save.  I've used it in da Crown for 4 years now and it's great.  Gives a nice aroma to the tanks, breaks things down really well, never anything but good.
That said, I don't like their powdered form, only the liquid. I've tried both and the powder stuff seems to not keep things smelling as good...

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: