Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 02:35:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Runaway truck ramp video.  (Read 1838 times)
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« on: February 09, 2008, 11:46:55 PM »

Although I've never had the need nor occasion to use one, and have been warned to stay away from them unless REALLY needed, I think I'd rather try another option before using this particular runaway ramp...ANY other option!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a98_1178105960

A Telma focal mount retarder is on my shopping list for the next year...I sure hope I don't lose my brakes near this ramp before I find one and get it installed!

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 07:19:42 AM »

which carefully selected employee or sub-contractor forgot to grade out the piles of fresh gravel in the run-away lane?

Sheesh!

Maybe best to maintain the vehicle properly, and employ correct mountain descent strategies?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
cody

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 07:32:30 AM »

Jay, posting that video has saved me the time and effort to convince my wife that a jake is a good thing, as she watched the video, I explained to her how important a jake can be and the video clearly showed her what fun a runaway could be, it was a visual that really saved me a lot of time and effort.
compedgemarine

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 09:22:50 AM »

No kidding Cody, Jakes just got a whole lot cheaper in my mind. guess its time to start shopping.
steve
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 12:32:57 PM »

Absolutely without a doubt, the BEST thing I ever did to me Crown...

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 05:24:57 PM »

Remind me where you got that Telma again.  I know my Dina can handle one since it was a factory option.  I wonder how many MCI sold that way?

The ideal way to get a Telma would be to find a salvage Dina with one, but that isn't too likely as MCI only sold maybe 1,500 Dinas total.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 05:36:15 PM »

Thanks for posting that pic of your Telma installation, Gary.
It's amazing that such a small device can be so powerful.

If Dallas gets my service brakes tuned up later this summer, and I'm also lucky enough to find a focal mount Telma already on an axle with my desired ratio, the stopping capability and safety of my coach will be greatly enhanced.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 06:24:04 PM »

I bought the Telma new directly from Telma.  If you want to get one,
I have the name of a really great guy there who'll help you out in many
ways. Email me and I'll forward his info.
 I was surprised at how easy it was to install, mostly due to the fact that
Telma has so many trick parts to choose from for all the different
axle and U joint configurations.  It's pricey but worth it.

I wonder what it looks like to see a truck hitting a properly groomed
runaway ramp?

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 07:00:04 PM »

BoogieTheCat, it would come to a very fast stop.  As long as the driver has a seat belt on, he would probably be in good shape, sore the next morning...however alive. 
They are designed to stop you fast!  The front end of the truck is usually pretty messed up, however the intent is to save the driver...and more specifically to keep a runaway truck from hitting others!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 10:37:51 PM »

"I wonder what it looks like to see a truck hitting a properly groomed
runaway ramp?"

Pretty much like when race cars run off into the kitty-litter - no dramas and minimal damage.

HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 02:08:18 PM »

Gary..great pic of your driveline retarder.  Thank you.  Are there any issues with your alternator front loading the retarder?  Your tranny is NOT your 9-speed Roadranger....did you change it out?  Your present tranny looks like some sort of big 5 or 6 speed synkro manual.  Did your change out your rear end case?

Back to the very cool and scary video.  Now wondering, due to our law suit happy nature, if the poor owner/driver of the runaway truck can successfully sue the public agency in charge of the runaway truck ramp because....can you believe this....they DID NOT properly grade or smooth out the big piles of gravel?  Smiley Smiley Smiley
compedgemarine

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 04:40:42 PM »

was watching discovery channel? last night and they had on 'worlds scariest drivers' or something called that. right as I turned it on this video came on. on a nice clear TV you would be amazed at how bad the gravel was piled up. it looked like some of the piles were five feet high with a good 15 or 20 feet between them. I am amazed watching it on tv that he was not hurt worse.
steve
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 06:00:43 PM »

Hi henry,
Yeah I got tired of "me" being the only person who could figure out how to shift the 9 speed, thus drive the bus.  So over a week I changed it out to an eaton 6 speed, now overdrive, that's fully synchronized, and at the same time I changed the rear axle to a new Meritor that I bolted the Telma onto.  It was quite a job but now it's done and REALLY neat. Anyone can drive it now!!!  And the weight of the Telma almost exactly matched the weight I got rid of in changing out the tranny. That 9 speed was HEAVY!!!

My alternator has no problem keeping up with the Telma, 'cause it's hooked to the house bank.  Even if i  come down a giant grade, the alternator takes care of most of it and the bank can sustain it for a couple of hours longer.  Basically it's never been an issue no matter where I've driven...

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: