Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 23, 2014, 11:24:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PD4501-268  (Read 3241 times)
buddydawg

Ignore
« on: February 11, 2008, 08:40:46 AM »

PD4501-268 is up for grabs for you Scenicruiser guys

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1954-Greyhound-Scenicruiser-PD4501-268_W0QQitemZ160207571385QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160207571385

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 08:58:59 AM »

I think we have a winner for the ugly bus competion. I was going to enter mine but, I can't beat the inside pic of this with the green crapper.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 09:09:47 AM »

that one would cost Kyle and Jack some money to get it from the west coast to the east coast but its all for the love of buses
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 10:03:08 AM »

Here is a question for the 4501 people. The picture looking straight into the engine compartment shows one engine hanger rod in the middle. Straight above that rod is just glass to make the connection to the roof structure. I thought there were two hanger rods that more or less lined up with the frames between the rear window and the corner windows. On this one, does the entire engine weight hang on that one rod?

I had an MC-7 Combo with that same driveline (8V71 with 740) and there was a lot of weight carried by two rods.
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 10:11:43 AM »

There are 3 rods that support the cradle.
The center one is the only one visible.

The other two are at the corners and the tail light corner wrap sheet metal
hangs on each of the rods.

If you need pictures, I may still have some of the rods without the sheetmetal
attached somewhere...

Dave....

Here is #598 with the center removed temporarily to show side rods....

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 10:17:09 AM by DrDave-Reloaded » Logged

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
mike davis

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 10:26:08 AM »

bidding now

mike
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 12:48:40 PM »

good luck; keep us posted

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
mike davis

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 01:55:15 PM »

this is a ? for the 4501 guys

how safe is it to move the 4501  without the floor sheeting ?
                                                                      Southern OR. to tucson?
                 thanks
                         mike
mikeH8H-649

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 02:15:48 PM »

There was a 4501 that Ed Skiba had shown on another board that was  running and drivable that he found on craigslist in Southern Delaware for $7500 and it looked pretty good   Mike
mike davis

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 03:05:42 PM »

There was a 4501 that Ed Skiba had shown on another board that was  running and drivable that he found on craigslist in Southern Delaware for $7500 and it looked pretty good   Mike

thanks

I sent them an email 9 days ago and they did not respond

mike
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 03:10:03 PM »

Mike;

are you bidder 2***2 . I don't want to bid against you.

Thanks

Don
Green-Hornet

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 03:24:11 PM »

Cripes! Shocked Over $2 grand with 6 days left. This ought to be a fun one to watch, unless it is a shill Grin
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 03:30:39 PM »

this is a ? for the 4501 guys

how safe is it to move the 4501  without the floor sheeting ?
                                                                      Southern OR. to tucson?
                 thanks
                         mike

If it is empty & you take it easy on rough roads, you can get away with driving it - Provided the body rivets are all in good shape. Wouldn't make a habbit of it tho . . .

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 03:38:44 PM »

Cripes! Shocked Over $2 grand with 6 days left. This ought to be a fun one to watch, unless it is a shill Grin

d***3 has a feedback rating of -1. From here, it looks like that dude shouldn't be allowed to bid on this type of item.

Suppposedly, the bus is driveable, depending on distance - that right there will save a ton of $$$
(to the tune of $110/ hour for the landoll - that's round trip for the truck  Sad )

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 03:53:19 PM »

Kyle that dude is me I do have that rating but I have not bought anything from ebay yet.

Don
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 04:12:26 PM »

Kyle that dude is me I do have that rating but I have not bought anything from ebay yet.

Don

Anyone know how to get my foot out of my mouth? (I've been told I have a big mouth, so it should be an easy task.)

Sorry Don, no offense meant, I've been burned a couple of times on ebay by low / negative bidders . . . .

Good luck to 'ya on this one. Aside from the interior bulkhead being gone, it looks OK structurally. It is the ones where someone hack-jobbed the floor lowering that worry me.

mike davis

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 04:14:23 PM »

Mike;

are you bidder 2***2 . I don't want to bid against you.

Thanks

Don

Don,
I got an email about this guy trying to sell it in April.  Apparently he didn't take 13K for it. 

I'm also on the Yahoo Group Scenicruiser21.  There was a discussion about a 4501 that sold on Ebay in Nov., in the opinion of some people that own multiple Scenicruisers, a shell is worth what you can get it for.  But, a running, fairly older conversion cruiser with everything in the conversion working, including the generator, should be somewhere between $11-12 and $17-18 K.  So, if this guy is going to try to go where he is with scenicruiser a la pieces, be my guest. 

What's the other one in Kingman going to go for?  5? 4?  Plus, I have to move whatever to Tucson.  The one in Kingman looks structurally intact at least, and if the 8V71 only lasts 3 or 400 hundred miles it will still save me a ton of money. I didn't see the one in Kingman first, plus all my parts resources, tires, etc. are in Tucson. 

Mike

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 04:17:31 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1955-GMC-SCENICRUISE-GREYHOUND-BUS-GMC-8V71-FIXER-UPPER_W0QQitemZ330211195853QQihZ014QQcategoryZ6728QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

is the link to the one refered to in Tucson!

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 04:22:31 PM »

I just noticed 268 has an automatic . . . .
I know some people who have paid over $10,000 to do that conversion! So if the ole girl drives good . . . .

I'm glad I'm not closer  Grin

If that dude thinks that 268 is worth $13k. . . .
Heck, I don't think I've spent that much since I started & I have 5! & that includes the 5000+ mile trip to Montana for a pile of parts!  Grin

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 04:33:32 PM by kyle4501 » Logged

luvrbus

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 04:38:08 PM »

Mike,  you get the one in Kingman if it will drive for 35 miles you can use my shop and tools to make any repairs needed for your trip to Tucson.I know where a 4501 is north of Kingman that was rear ended by a 18 wheeler not long ago.If I can help you any way  just contact me
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2008, 04:43:28 PM »

Kyle;

It's no big deal to me, I tried to buy a part from a company on e-bay, I was the winning bidder and when I tried to pay they would not take my wife's paypal. so I called the people and explained the problem. They jacked up the price and said I could still buy it but for the higher price. I call boggiethecat and asked him if he would mind going over and talking to them. He knows the people so he went over and bought the part and brought it to me. I didn't pay for it through ebay so I got a bad review. I still got the part and payed for it. I have contacted the seller and e-bay several times and they won't respond. So thats it. something I will live with.

Mike I am not bidding anymore, price to high for what I am willing to go. There is one here in town I am going to buy,that's why I was asking kyle about selling some parts. If you are intrested in it I will have songman get  some pic's and post them. It does notrun but will take very little to fix the engine. i have all the parts for that.

Don

Stan

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2008, 05:14:40 PM »

Dr. Dave: Thanks for the info.
mike davis

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2008, 06:38:15 PM »

Thanks everyone that has offered to help.  I did email the seller and asked if the Vista Windows were still hanging out.  Now, I haven't pulled out my atlas yet, but just a thought, from Kingman is it 395 into Apache Junction and then 89 the back way into Tucson? 

Another thing that shot down that one in Oregon for me besides the price is what's the Sierra Highway that goes through Susanville?  I know once you climb on top of it it pretty much stays high, but then there is the gravel road to Perump to cut the corner back into AZ.  And, there's not much on that highway. 

luvrbus,
I'm going to try to get a hold of the seller and see how long I can take to move it.  I know we're going in our RV from Missouri to Tucson probably leaving here somewhere around the 21st.  I guess it would depend, because I'd have my kids with me, whether I had a shot of getting it out of there really fast (it drove to where it's sitting now) and it's downhill to Tucson.  So, I think it's stopping when it's supposed to would be very important.  If it's geared the same way my TDM was with the splicer, I could pretty much stop it if I didn't let it gain momentum.  Just had to play that game today in the ice storm with my van. 

So, 4501 guys, what is that coach worth?  I'm thinking $3-5K if it starts.  Am I wrong?  I know 10 years in the desert rotted everything rubber, probably even the window gaskets.  And another thought is, should I just yank the teardrop windows out and stack them correctly inside the coach rather than risk them falling out.  Don't have to be pretty for the moment, just has to get somewhere. 

Thanks
Mike
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2008, 06:46:49 PM »

Mike, I think you may ant to take a US Geography class....you have at least one sizeable grade any way you go from Beaverton to Tucson

what is it worth......depends whos buying it.

To make it legal and safe to drive I figure there are thousands in parts alone that will need to be purchased.

mike davis

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2008, 06:58:28 PM »

Mike, I think you may ant to take a US Geography class....you have at least one sizeable grade any way you go from Beaverton to Tucson

what is it worth......depends whos buying it.

To make it legal and safe to drive I figure there are thousands in parts alone that will need to be purchased.

tekebird

sorry I was not clear From kingman to tucson

mike

there are 2 4501's one 300 mi.from home and one 1300 mi. for 300 mi. all i need is brakes on the tag's and rear If it airs I could braise up an air manifold in a hr. or 2

mike
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 05:19:27 AM »

I'd verify all the airlines are sound. I've had some of the old ones break because they were so brittle.
First priority is the brakes.
Then the air suspension.
Then brake lights & turn signals.
Before moving it, remove or secure in any curved glass. Those are spendy to replace - especially when you could have saved 'em.  Shocked

If clever & thrifty, I see no reason you have to spend thousands of $$$.  Cool

My buddy Vern resurected a 4501 that had the copper lines cut out by vandals & drove it from Alabama to central Florida with few problems & nothing he couldn't handle. He spent well under $1000 & he had to buy a radiator & 15 gal of oil.

But, there are some people that like to throw money at problems rather than think first. Which one are you?  Grin

mike davis

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2008, 09:44:04 AM »

I'd verify all the airlines are sound. I've had some of the old ones break because they were so brittle.
First priority is the brakes.
Then the air suspension.
Then brake lights & turn signals.
Before moving it, remove or secure in any curved glass. Those are spendy to replace - especially when you could have saved 'em.  Shocked

If clever & thrifty, I see no reason you have to spend thousands of $$$.  Cool

My buddy Vern resurected a 4501 that had the copper lines cut out by vandals & drove it from Alabama to central Florida with few problems & nothing he couldn't handle. He spent well under $1000 & he had to buy a radiator & 15 gal of oil.

But, there are some people that like to throw money at problems rather than think first. Which one are you?  Grin

kyle4501

I'm the type of guy that shows up with tools I think it will move

With the 4905 It was not worth making it move And the lady telling me some B.S. about her son and hunting cabin I said I thought it was a grate Idea(hunting cabin) thats all the bus was good for(iron tent)  If you could have seen the look in her eyes 

I try to be a nice guy, But she was peeing on my shoes and telling me it was raining 

mike
steveggt

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2008, 11:23:25 AM »

Hi Mike Davis!

I used to live in San Francisco and remember seeing this bus sitting "all by its lonesome" for years behind a chain-link fence.  A few of us local busnuts kept asking around if anyone knew the owner and/or what his/her intentions were.  We weren't able to get close enough to look at the bus, but we could tell that someone was in the process of gutting it out...probably for a conversion.  Then, one day, the bus was gone!

About the directions from Oregon to Arizona, the Susanville area will probably put you on 395 which can be quite hilly and desolate in many locations. 

I would consider I-5.  I'm not too sure of the mileage, but there'll probably be more traffic.  I know of at least two considerable grades...Siskyou's and Tehachapi (if you decide to go east on 58 from Bakersfield).  HOWEVER...if you take I-5, you'll drive right by Ted Campbell's shop, Coach Maintenance, in Williams, which is about 1 hr north of Sacramento.  His shop is adjacent to the frontage road that parallels I-5...can't miss it!  He knows quite a bit about Scenicruisers...and he has a considerable amount of parts.  Website is www.coachmaintenance.com.  Phone is (530) 473-5544.  If you win the bus, and would like Ted to look at it, contact him with as much advance notice as possible!  His schedule is filling up quickly because spring is approaching and the motorhomers are getting ready to hit the road!

Hope this helps!

- Steve
mike davis

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2008, 01:00:33 PM »

sorry should have changed the Subject awhile ago

well
        the vista glass is gone but the tear drops are still there Nice people They will let me have time to get it out of there

mike
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2008, 10:44:07 PM »

For reference:

"1955 GMC PD 4501.An American Classic. Runs and drives w/8V71 4-speed transmission. No interior on the top deck. Original lavatory below intact. Ready to be remodeled into that luxury Scenic Cruiser of the olden days. Great project. $7500 OBO "

http://delaware.craigslist.org/rvs/536254630.html

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: