Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 06:48:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NO GO BUS SHOW and RALLY  (Read 3168 times)
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« on: February 12, 2008, 08:01:32 AM »

Well I think I have the No Go Bus Show and Rally frame work in place and ready to go. It is free of charge and if you would like to enter log onto: www.cruiser-magazine.com

On the first page you will see a link to sign up, a link to view contestants and a links to become a sponsor if you so choose. (Of course the "Help Assist" list sign-up is in the upper right corner.)

There will be a first place prize for several classes (i.e. GMC, MCI, Prevost, Flexible, Misc.) there will be a Best Of Show winner and a Worst of Show winner. The best of Show gets a Free Registration to Jack Conrad's "Bussin 2009" plus it gets to be the feature bus of that show, and a Custom Tee Shirt provide by Nick Badame. Hopefully more folks will sign up to be donators and we can offer more prizes. The Best of Class will each receive a Custom Tee Shirt from Nick Badame and The Worst of Show will also get a Special Custom Tee Shirt.

Nick has offered to supply 12 Tee Shirts so we will be increasing the  classes to make sure we use up all the shirts. Nick and Dallas have offered to help me judge if the points get off or if there is some confusion in classes, so we will get our e-mails together and set some more classes for you.

The winner will be announced the Fourth of July 2009. 2008

When you click on the "View Entry's" links you will find our bus there it is only for example. I don't think I should be in the contest. So as you send me your pictures I will add them to that page. Under each contestants photos you will see a score card. Click on the score you think they should get for that particular item. It will be tallied and Nick Dallas and I will keep those scores off the site for a while.

This was meant to have fun with, and a way to go to a bus show/rally with out spending any money on fuel. So have fun, and have at it.

Dave Siegel
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 07:21:26 PM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 10:20:51 AM »

We just registered our bus in the "Worst of Show" catagory!  May the worst bus win!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Dave Siegel

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 03:45:49 PM »

Well the No Go Bus Show and Rally is up and running with our first entry, Jack Hart. You're going to have to go some to beat him in his class.

We'll see what happens.

Dave Siegel

Naples, Florida
         www.help-assist-list.com
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 05:56:39 PM »

Hi Dave,

Quote: The winner will be announced the Fourth of July 2009

Did you mean 2008?

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Dave Siegel

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 03:42:22 AM »

I'm sorry, I made a mistook. YES, I meant  "The winner will be announced July 4th., 2008"

I was so excited to post that I didn't proof read.   Thanks for finding that mistuck, er, misteak, no. no misstake,  oh.....error!

Dave

Naples, Florida
         www.help-assist-list.com
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 04:35:00 AM »

I think this is a great idea, especially for those like me who will never have an opportunity of showing my bus off at an actual bus show. Can I suggest an extra category for 'most interesting project' or similar? There are lots of buses out there that are still years away from the road, but have some really noteworthy work being done to them that deserves recognition I think

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Dave Siegel

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 03:57:04 PM »

Well Jeremy, I am open to all suggestions, but for example, explain how your project could win over mine. Would the entrant have to provide pictures of a project underway? Or would drawings and sketches of a proposed project be the way to win?

Dave Siegel

Naples, Florida
         www.help-assist-list.com
jackhartjr

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 04:53:30 AM »

I am surprised that there are only 2 entries so far!
Hey ya'll, let's step up to the plate here. 

I know Kyle has one or two in the orphanage that can compete with Dianne and mine! Grin

And I am hoping nobody tells Pat McNeil about the Worst of Show catagory.  I know that rat trap red Scenicruiser he's got will beat ours! (Totally tongue in cheek here now!) Cool

Jack Hart, CDS
8V71 Detroit
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 05:44:35 AM »

Well Jeremy, I am open to all suggestions, but for example, explain how your project could win over mine. Would the entrant have to provide pictures of a project underway? Or would drawings and sketches of a proposed project be the way to win?

Dave Siegel

The winner, whether it be a complete bus or a project, is presumably picked by the judges based upon whatever criteria they choose - for me it would be about originality & design (ie. not just 'yet another' follow-the-instructions roof-raised MCI), and the quality of execution / workmanship etc. Points are definitely scored for the owners doing the work themselves on a budget and in less-than-ideal circumstances (no heated workshops, big budgets, or farm-it-out-to-professionals please).

It is important that it is a real project that is actually happening, not just an empty bus and someone's pipedream about what they are 'going' to do - so, yes, lots of photographs and sketches too if you have them (the insides of the windows of my bus are covered in sketches of how I plan to do various jobs, because if I don't put things on paper at the planning stage I've totally forgotten by the time I'm actually ready to start that job).

The custom car shows I used to go to back in the 1980's always had a class for 'Best Unfinished Project' - I just think it's a great idea to share your plans with others, get feedback, re-motivate yourself etc

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Dallas

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 05:58:01 AM »

Here's a question:

I have several friends in the area that like reading the bus boards and may post now and then, but don't have the computer skills or the equipment (camera, software, etc), to be able to enter the contest.

As a judge, I fear it would show partiality and conflict of interest if I were to post the information for them, so how do I go about getting these buses entered?

Anyone want to volunteer to be a proxy to enter the non computer savvy buses?

See Guys? I can ask questions too and not just give smartarsed answers!  Wink

Dallas
Alan Baker

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 06:43:51 AM »

I think the category for worst should be changed to "most ambitious project". If the coach is similar to the condition of the pictured Senicruiser.
I think "worst" should be reserved for a finished conversion, although I feel very strongly that this prize should never be awarded. Everyone has their own idea of whats right.
I agree with a prize for best work in progress and a prize for fastest compleation. I guess there should be a prize for who took the longest. But then how would we know, is anyone ever done?
I can think of several other potential categories, but I think I read that you were trying to keep it to around 12.
Alan Baker

Alan Baker
Lake Placid, FL
61 PD4106-00038 for 23 yrs
84 Eagle-10 10" roof raise
6V92 turbo 90 injectors Allison 740
since 2000
Every ride is a new adventure
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 07:55:19 AM »

Hey Dave  If you have a Catagory for the oldest MCI  on the road with the smallest fuel tank I have a entry.  This Is how I drove it home.

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
Dave Siegel

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 08:01:06 AM »

Submit your entry. I will create a "Most Unusual" category and put you in that. The fuel tank will also help to create interest and generate points.

Dave

Naples, Florida
         www.help-assist-list.com
jackhartjr

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 08:10:47 AM »

Dave, Alan has a point there about ours being in a "most ambitious project" catagory as opposed to Worst of Show.  If that's what we need to do I am all for it.
After all, just because the former owner said it fired right up when he parked it... Grin  It is still a work in progress!!!!!  A lot of progress! Roll Eyes
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
8V71 Detroit
Dave Siegel

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 08:14:40 AM »

Shucks, for the winner of the "Worst" class I was thinking about having a shirt printed saying "I have the Worst Bus in the World".

Dave

Naples, Florida
         www.help-assist-list.com
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 12:08:25 PM »

Submit your entry. I will create a "Most Unusual" category and put you in that. The fuel tank will also help to create interest and generate points.
Dave

Great Catagory  It was the most accurate fuel gauge I had ever driven with all I had to do was look over and see when I needed to switch jugs..  The scary part was watching how fast the fuel was leaving the tank in differant driving conditions. Grin

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
Dallas

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 11:58:30 AM »

Shucks, for the winner of the "Worst" class I was thinking about having a shirt printed saying "I have the Worst Bus in the World".

Dave

Gee, then I would win hands down! After all, my wife says our bus is decorated in "Early Sanitary Landfill"

bump
JimC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 04:51:43 PM »

I am also surprised by lack of entries.

I have to wonder if it is because you have not set a schedule for the "judging"
Just entering a bus now and letting people judge them as they are entered means that someone that enters later could get lower scores when they really shouldn't.
OR, people could just be waiting to see how everyone lays out their pictures and captions.

All car shows I went to had a specific time the cars had to be registered by, and then they were all judged together. I wonder if you allow X amount of time to enter, and x amount of time to be judged after that? And the winners declared when you planned. We could still look through the entries as they come in, that will be the fun part anyway!

I know its all for fun, and I plan to enter mine eventually (I need to do pictures)

Jim

4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison
chargePlus

1951 GMC PD4103-125

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008, 02:43:35 PM »

I just entered the 4103 that my wife and I take care of.

I entered in the worst of show category. After seeing the other entry, we don't stand a chance... :-)

I'll get some more pictures sent shortly...

- John

Sports Car Lover and Bus Nut
1951 GMC PD4103-125 http://www.euliss-uftring.org/DaBus
Sports Car Club of America http://www.ncrscca.com/
Mazda Sports Car Club of NC http://www.msccnc.org/
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008, 03:13:16 PM »

Here's a question:

I have several friends in the area that like reading the bus boards and may post now and then, but don't have the computer skills or the equipment (camera, software, etc), to be able to enter the contest.

As a judge, I fear it would show partiality and conflict of interest if I were to post the information for them, so how do I go about getting these buses entered?

Anyone want to volunteer to be a proxy to enter the non computer savvy buses?

See Guys? I can ask questions too and not just give smartarsed answers!  Wink

Dallas

I would be willing to do the "proxy posting".   

• Get me good old fashioned printed photos and I can scan them in.
  • Make some notes about it for me to write the content from.  Tell me as much as you can about it (please be sure to include the model, year, your name and your name for the bus, if any).  I will write the copy text to submit from those notes.  Or,  write your own content and I will submit it with the scanned photos.

Since my location changes periodically, if mailing them to me, PM me to find out where to send them to me.

HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2008, 04:06:40 PM »

Regarding the lack of entries, I think adding more categories would help.  Right now there is "Best" and "Worst" of show and class.  I suspect a lot of folks are like me.  I know my bus is definitely not up for "best" and yet it's also definitely not the "worst" either.  Obviously, there aren't going to be enough prizes for a vast number of classes (brands), and what if a brand is left out, or just one entry in that brand.  Within a brand, is it reasonable to put various generations all in the one class.  For example, within GMC, Old Look, New Look and RTS.  Can they all compete fairly within the GMC class?

So here is my suggested structure, best/worst of show plus 10 best of class winners (use up the 12 shirts/beer mugs):

• Best of Show
  • Worst of Show
Classes:
  • 1959 and earlier
  • 1960 - 1979
  • 1980 - 1999
  • 2000 - present
  • Best re-engineering (i.e. slide outs, repower's, etc.)
  • Best exterior (i.e. beautiful paint, polished SS, wheels, windows, etc.)
  • Best interior (i.e. best cabinetry, flooring, appliances, etc.)
  • Most creative/unusual functionality (i.e. something nobody else has done)
  • Best house systems installation ( i.e. genset, inverters, battery banks, tanks, air conditioning, etc.)
  • Most exotic (i.e. not good or bad, just very different)

I also agree with the suggestion to hold off voting until a later date.  Perhaps All entries in by May 31 and open judging from June 1-30.  Don't show any results/rankings until the formal announcements on July 4.  (also correct the date in the first post of this thread) Done. DML

I hate to suggest such a radical restructure this far along, and it is your show.  This has just been my 2 on how to attract more entrants.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 07:24:49 PM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged
Sojourner

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008, 09:36:34 PM »

Best of the Show is Best of the Show. I would think some bus nut would kind-a-feel negative that he won't come to the show thinking he might be the one being the Worst of the Show. However if this is contest is only voluntarily to enter the contest for the Worst of the Show...then it fine.

By the way...add another honorable position....The Worst of the Worst contest.

My Sojourner is not road ready to drive....so I am not able to make it to The Worst of the Worst contest.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
Dave Siegel

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2008, 04:06:35 AM »

Hi Everyone I am back. I developed an outbreak of shingles that started at the very top of my bald head and affected the right side of my face and neck and throat. Haven't felt like doing much this last week or so, but I am starting to feel better and I will get to work this uipcoming week catching up on the entries that I have received.

I really like "Hightechrednecks" suggestions and will make some of those suggestions become reality.

There was some concern about judging. The judging is going on already. Under each set of pictures that is presented there is a voting box, When you hit submit I get the vote and I am tallying that vote count off line. Nick and Dallas have offered to help me as judges and they have offered off line input and suggestions and if I get stuck with a questionable situation they are the contacts that I turn to.

Thanks Dallas for that proxy entry.

Dave Siegel

Naples, Florida
         www.help-assist-list.com
jackhartjr

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 08:02:14 AM »

Whatever happened here?
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
8V71 Detroit
Dallas

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 09:16:26 AM »

I thought I'd bring this back to the top again so maybe there will some more entries

Go Here to enter: http://www.cruiser-magazine.com/
Dave Siegel

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 04:16:09 PM »

Thank you Dallas, I will be working on the web site tomorrow. As I explained I am just finishing up with a painful outbreak of shingles on my head and eye and ear. That left me with little desire to do much of anything. I feel much better now and I have a couple of new entries to add tomorrow. Plus I will add some new classes.

Dave Siegel

Naples, Florida
         www.help-assist-list.com
jackhartjr

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 04:51:49 PM »

Hi Dave, glad you are getting back up and running...a friend has a case of them no...she aint a happy camper!
Looking forward to seeing the changes.
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
8V71 Detroit
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 06:43:18 PM »

Jeremy,

If you win a free registration to Bussin 2009 in Arcadia will you show up, and will you be driving your coach?

No I don't have a boat big enough to come and get you.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: