Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 03:31:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: finally my shower has tile!!  (Read 3282 times)
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« on: February 12, 2008, 06:07:38 PM »

After over a year of fooling around with other things, and doing wiring and plumbing behind the walls, I have tiled my shower.  I have been using visqueen tacked up to the ceiling, and its not fun taking a shower in the middle of it.  while I am ordering reeded glass door and return, I will be using a regular shower curtain this weekend.  Finally.  Feels very good to be done with another project, especially one so important to creature comfort.

Here is a pic.  The rest of the bus has royal blue accents - lights, bath sink, drawer handles etc.  So that tile kind of goes with the rest of the bus. 

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 06:14:03 PM »

Very nice!  Cool lighting too.  Are the lights LED or Halogen...or something else?
Looks like you've copied my 'headliner!'    Wink

JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 06:19:55 PM »

chinese LED's from ebay, all together they draw about .2 amp

They are not very bright, hopefully no reflection on the owner, but its enough to see.  The fuse panel I have them hooked up to has a small indicator light when a fuse is blown.  If I unplug the fuse, there is enough current going through the small light, that all 7 of these will light, although more dimly.  I am using this feature as a night light.  After leaving them on all night, I can't really tell any difference in house battery state of charge.

Yes, my entire bus still has this classy plywood ceiling.  I need to do drawers or even heat next.

Jim Stewart

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 07:52:35 PM »

Consider leaving the shower curtain in place and skip the glass door. A couple reasons. First, you can leave it open and the shower dries nicely. Second when it's open it gives the impression that the whole room is bigger.  Boat supply sells a nice bendable shower curtain track that works great.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Dreamscape

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 08:05:17 PM »

Great job! You have a good eye.

I remember when I took my first shower in our Eagle after I completed ours, it sure felt good, and I smelled better too! Ours is not quite so fancy, but it works. I'm sure you will be happy when you can check it off your list.

Keep on keepin' on Jim,

Be safe,

Paul
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 03:52:06 AM »

Hi Jim,

Nice Job!   

I tried some LED's in my ceiling pucks and I didn't like the lighting that they put out so, I put the halogens back in.

It looked like the LED's put out about a 1/4 of the light that halogens did..

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 04:05:42 AM »

Nick, how long ago did you try the LED's?
The reason I ask is that over the last year or so they have improved them a lot, they seem to be getting brighter...and they are now getting them to where they spread the light better...as opposed to just kind of shining in a spotlight sort of way.
For what it's worth!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 04:09:07 AM »

Job well done!  I need to quit hanging out here and actually get to working on mine!

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 05:07:04 AM »

Very nice looking shower! I had to chuckle at the visqueen remark. I have not showered in visqueen since doing monitoring on asbestos abatement jobs, in the makeshift decontamination showers on the job site. This might motivate me to move my shower renovation up on the to-do list. I like your choice of lights,,, can't beat that almost non-existant current draw, and i am not a fan all the heat put out by the halogens.

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 07:41:45 AM »

thanks all.

NIck, I don't really like the light put out by these LED's either, its a very cold blue light, and I used 7, but still its fairly dim. For the shower, all that is ok.  Although I have several more, I think I will stick with other kinds of bulbs for my other lighing needs for now.

Jack, yes LEDs keep getting better all the time, they are definitely  worth watching and trying because of their incredible efficiency.  These I bought over a year ago, but since I had them, I used them.

Jim Stewart

skipn

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 08:03:44 AM »

Jim,

Very nice!

What did you use for backer board.....to reduce flex, vibration, swelling and shrinkage?
  or is that not an issue?

Skip
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 08:17:44 AM »

Skip,

We'll see if its an issue or not.  the right wall has studs to hide the plumbing, so I used 1/2 inch hardiebacker board.

The left side has 1/2 birch plywood over a wood frame, so I used 1/4 on that side. I"m headed to the desert this weekend, so if thre is still tile on the walls when I come back I'll be happy.

Generally, a lot of people have used tile in their buses with no ill affect, so I am optimistic.

Jim Stewart

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 09:26:29 AM »

Jim,
  When we did our shower, we made the walls with 3/4 oak furniture grade plywood covered with several layers of fiberglass cloth (matte in corners) and ployester resin. after it set up. we scuffed the fiberglass surface with a grinder and installed wall ceramic tile using standard wall tile adhesive and  non saned grout mixed with latex admixture. About 7 years and 35,000 miles since installation and no problems so far. this includes several trips through some rough terrain in cow pastures at Bluegrass music Festivals.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 09:58:17 AM »

Nick, how long ago did you try the LED's?
The reason I ask is that over the last year or so they have improved them a lot, they seem to be getting brighter...and they are now getting them to where they spread the light better...as opposed to just kind of shining in a spotlight sort of way.
For what it's worth!
Jack

Hi Jack,

This was 2 weeks ago when I installed the LED's The bulbs pictured [above top] cost me over 20 bucks each..  Anybody want 8 of them??....

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
lloyd

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 12:20:58 PM »

I was wondering about how the tile and grout would handle the travelling up and down the road, but from what I am reading it seems to be staying on the wall. What did you us to attach the tile, normal thin set? My wife has always talked about inistalling a ceramic tile shower, so maybe I can make one of her wishes come true,lol.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: