Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 19, 2014, 08:58:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: finally my shower has tile!!  (Read 3222 times)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 01:17:37 PM »

Shower floor tile was done with thinset using latex admixture instead of water.  Wall tile was installed using standard wall tile premixed adhesive.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 01:58:43 PM »

Jack,
Very pretty!  Nice job on the shower and the woodwork too!

I just used the premixed stuff in the tub.  They said its stickier and more flexible than the regular thinset.  I can attest, most of the tiles did not move a bit after I tapped them in.  Road test this weekend. Should be ok

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
compedgemarine

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 04:47:06 PM »

Hey Jim
when did you install the tile. I recently redid the shower in my house and used the same stuff you did I think. I had to go back in one spot and break out one to fix a oops and found that the adhesive in the center of the tile was still soft. that was a week after it was put on so I would assume it can take several weeks for it to cure out good in the areas that are not exposed to air. it looks so nice that I would hate it if it moved around because it hadnt all cured. just something to think about.
steve
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 06:04:56 PM »

I installed one wall  last Friday, the other on Sunday.

Dall tile, from home depot

Jim Stewart

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
BusMom

1978 GM4905A

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 08:16:08 AM »

Let us know how the tile holds up after your trip.  We are going to be putting tile up in our bathroom in a month or so.  It looks great.
Amy Cheesy

Amy Riley
Norman (Oklahoma City Area), Oklahoma
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 02:49:19 PM »

Jim,

Looks Great!

You gave me the kick in the arse to get my tile board up this weekend.

Work on your bathroom next and put up some pics, I want to finish that next... Grin

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 03:09:13 PM »

Cliff here's the bathroom sink. Of course its in the bedroom, but thats the way the plumbing and floor plan and windows worked out.  It actually is just fine in practice.

Cliff, What are you doing inside looking at your computer when you could be working on your shower?  Shocked)

You can see the visqueen that used to be there.  Yippee its gone!!!  The shower is just on the other side of the wall behind the sink.

Found a mail order place in Boston that sells those sinks for $200, way less than anyone else around here or even on the web.

Now on to the floor, but there are a few other things higher on the list.  heat. light switches. more wood shelves, drawers, cabinets and trim.

Gumpy - thats a great idea on the NO shower door, I have postponed ordering the door and glass to see how it is with the shower curtain.  I'll need to get that flexible shower curtain rod / holder for longer term, I'm just using a make shift rod I made from a clothes pole.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 03:10:58 PM by H3Jim » Logged

Jim Stewart

H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2008, 03:20:52 PM »

Tile weathered the trip just fine.  The firest hurdle was a nasty twist in my driveway just to get it to where i can back down a road to the more main rd.  Also did fine on the dirt roads, and then the desert sand.  Using the shower was GREAT.  No more visqueen on my tail when getting the soap!!

I'm still thinking about Gumpy's idea to just leave the shower curtain and not get a glass door.  I will use a shower curtain for the next several months or more to get a feel for it, but so far, it s pretty good.  Makes the bathroom bigger, and the shower does dry out faster.  The glass would really keep hte air from circulating and the water from evaporating. 

I haven't yet done a leveling system, and most times that's ok, but oftimes the bus is just a wee bit off, and that keeps a little bit of water in ths shower pan from draining.  A shower curtain vs glass doors is better in this case.

Jim Stewart

H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2008, 04:28:26 PM »

for what its worth, the mastic / thinset came premixed in a bucket and is called Omnigrip.  It weighs about 2/3 of what thinset does, and I can testify that its really sticky.

Jim Stewart

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2008, 05:16:33 PM »

I'm still thinking about Gumpy's idea to just leave the shower curtain and not get a glass door.  I will use a shower curtain for the next several months or more to get a feel for it, but so far, it s pretty good.  Makes the bathroom bigger, and the shower does dry out faster.  The glass would really keep hte air from circulating and the water from evaporating. 

I haven't yet done a leveling system, and most times that's ok, but oftimes the bus is just a wee bit off, and that keeps a little bit of water in ths shower pan from draining.  A shower curtain vs glass doors is better in this case.

Here's a tip on the water ponding, too. Go down to your local Walmart or Home Depot and find a window squeegee. They make one that's just the rubber squeegee with a D-handle on the other side. Works great for pulling the droplets off the tile wall and pushing the ponding down the drain when the bus is a bit off level.

For the flex shower curtain track, check Boatersworld.com. That's where I found mine. It was $24 in 2005.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2008, 08:32:57 PM »

Gumpy,
Several years ago I was looking for exactly this item for another application, but I never did find it.  I just ordered one to try out, Thanks for the lead.

$19.99 plus shipping, total $26

Jim Stewart

NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »

I've got a glass shower door.  Works great until you take a shower.  I gotta lay a towel on the floor because the damn door drips water..a lot of water on the floor when it's opened following a shower.  It opens outward (obviously) and drips off the length of the door.
Not a major issue, but a wet floor isn't cool.
Curtains have their advantages. 
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2008, 10:32:59 AM »

The glass shower door on my home shower has as drip edge on the botttom that's slanted toward the hinge so when the door is opened, the water still drips down into the shower.  JR, Is that practical for your door?

Jim Stewart

DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2008, 11:05:20 AM »

The glass shower door on my home shower has as drip edge on the botttom that's slanted toward the hinge so when the door is opened, the water still drips down into the shower.  JR, Is that practical for your door?

The shower door in DML is the same. No problem with water dripping outside the shower.

Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2008, 07:02:16 AM »

The shower door in DML is the same. No problem with water dripping outside the shower.

Richard

Good point...I'll go down and look at it.  I don't know what's on the bottom of the door...just know that it drips when it's opened. 
I used a standard RV type fiberglass shower with the el-cheapo RV glass door.   The enclosure works fine...no leaks or such as long as the shower door is kept closed.   Sometimes the shower door gets bumped open when T and me are sharing the little shower in an effort to conserve water...that'll wet the floor!    Roll EyesGrin
If there's no return drip rail, I'll check Lowes to maybe ID what ya'll are talking about. 
When I convert the D, it'll have one of those nice round sliding shower doors... Wink
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: